Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Player Red Flags

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no red flags with keyboard players. Only guitarists, lead singers, bass players and drummers. Oh, and that annoying sax guy.
I take umbrage.

58.jpg.ecb468b166789c13aff45aed5fb98692.jpg

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

"Too much gear". I'm always accused of this, but talking with other people on forums, I feel like I bring less gear than anyone else. I used to be a single-88 guy (controller through laptop), but 9 months ago added the Mojo61 to the lineup. I have a number of smaller auxiliary boards: keytar, Seaboard block, and a trumpet, but those come and go depending on the gig, and were all at the urging of my bandmates (except seaboard, which is tiny). I have a single, double-tier stand for everything, and keytar on a guitar stand near the drums. 20mins to setup, tops. Yet my friends have begun calling it "The Armada".

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

There are no red flags with keyboard players. Only guitarists, lead singers, bass players and drummers. Oh, and that annoying sax guy.
I take umbrage.

I get it, bro, and I wish it wasnt me that had to divulge this. Take some time ... let it sink in, this can"t be easy. But the signs were all there. Witness: your bright red shirt - waving as a glorious albeit subconscious admission of red-flagness. You already knew when you got dressed, you just didn"t know that you knew :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I guess you can take the most important characteristics, then conversely they become the red flags. By no means an all inclusive list, and the weighting of these factors would be different depending on the scenario (orig v. covers v. studio v. touring v. composing v. etc etc)

1. Time

2. Feel*

3. Creativity

4. Passion

5. Confidence

6. Professional, responsible

7. Great attitude

8. Great performer

9. Great communicator

10. Gear that works

11. Fit

[font:Times New Roman]*playing the right part at the right time in the right way that supports the song[/font]

Depending on the scenario, any of these could potentially be a red flag - showstopper. In a perfect world with unlimited resources and many many great musicians to choose from, you or me or anyone might employ such a list to help with the decision. In the real world, might have to make some compromises.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Haven't played much with other keyboardists. Everyone has already covered what my red flags would be.

For myself timing has been an issue in the past. However because I play mostly in drum/music jam circles, I've heard alot of afro/cuban conga playing, and having solid drummers makes the whole thing gel for me. These days I'm mostly on time, I can hear when I'm a little slow, but when I am off it feels like a syncronization issue. Being a jam player, I'm ALWAYS listening intently, and it can take a moment for my playing response to come to my fingers. I sometimes play a little late, and at those times it feels like I need to look ahead, anticipate the beat. Happily, this usually doesn't last long, within a song or two I'm in the pocket, so I guess that's a warmup period. I also don't practice enough, that makes a big difference in all my playing.

As regards comping while someone is soloing or singing. I LOVE to do that- at its best it's like two birds that are doing acrobatic turns in the air- glorious stuff. And the same with LH bass. I'm playing with a pretty decent bass player, and his tone and agility are way beyond what I can do. But I really enjoy having 2 bass lines, one on the deeper side, and I take the upper bass. So I'm not playing the same notes as he is, but rather doing a complementary mid bass line.

I know I couldn't do either of these things in a performing band, but where i'm playing it's just a guitar, bass, congas and me. The guitarist actually likes me comping when he's soloing, he doesn't have to fill in all the spaces. I often just comp the melody line.

I may be ignoring some of the standard good behavior rules for keyboarding, but on the plus side I'm always trying to hear the other players and try to be as supportive as possible to the song. My biggest fault is playing too loud in semi-acoustic scenes, and to that end my monitors are pointed at me and I have a volume pedal. It really is quite enjoyable, even liberating, to play outdoors!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Years ago, I had to leave a band because I was moving out of state. I gave them about 6 weeks notice and they found a replacement fairly quickly. He started coming out to our gigs to observe and get a feel for what we were doing. After one show he pulled me aside and said, "Gee, you use your left hand a lot." :crazy:

Needless to say, he didn't last long.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Biggest red flag I've encountered.

There is a local player that has been around for a long time. He and I are among the best in the area, as far as playing rock/blues/country. He has a really nice rig, and sounds really good.

The problem was the one gig I played where we shared keyboard duties. It was a "Let's just put some people together and play" situation.

We had similar rigs. Digital piano with some other sounds available, and a clonewheel.

The issue came with sound selection. We might start out the song where I'm playing AP, and he's on a different, complimentary sound. Then part way through the song, I notice that he has switched to AP, so we're BOTH on AP. so, I switch to Hammond. Next thing I know, he's on Hammond, too. This went on all night.

I love the guy, and love his playing, but I'll not share the keyboard chair with him again.

Oh, and as far as rigs go, we both have solid rigs. For Clonewheel, I play a Hammond SK-2 through a Vent and a QSC K10, he plays a Nord C2 through a Leslie 3300

Addressing the issue with gear breaking down, I had a gig where I was set up, ready to play, everything working perfectly. 15 minutes before downbeat, I checked my rig, and my Yamaha MM8 was off. I tried everything, and could not get it working. The Wall wart power supply had failed.

I had to play the entire gig on just the SK-2. OK, it's a capable board, that's why I bought it. But, in this line up, my left hand was the bass. Had to scramble a bit, but I was able to get through the gig.

That guys just has no awareness of playing with another keyboard player, it's easy. I do it all the time. Most keyboard players don't know how to lay back and create space. I think you have the instinct for it or you don't.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

11. Fit

Hey, no body-shaming!

Haha! Well, to be clear I was not referring to physical fitness (but maybe that should be on the list). Rather, I was thinking the fit in terms of style, mojo and the hard-to-explain intangible "does this person fit in with the band?"

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Years ago, I had to leave a band because I was moving out of state. I gave them about 6 weeks notice and they found a replacement fairly quickly. He started coming out to our gigs to observe and get a feel for what we were doing. After one show he pulled me aside and said, "Gee, you use your left hand a lot." :crazy:

Needless to say, he didn't last long.

It depends upon who's saying that, if a Bass player said that to me, I'd be worried!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?