Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Art "Poppa Funk" Neville

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that sucks. He was a monster player. I saw him in the 90's a few time when Live on Planet Earth came out. He used a Hammond chop. I forgot who built it for him but I loved his drawbar settings.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Rest in peace, Art, and thanks for the music and the love.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I stole his 'Love the One You're With' lead from the "Live On Planet Earth" CD many years ago. Sweet Gospel to nasty rock, he could do it.... Hate to see this as we are the next generation 'up to bat'.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

First heard Art when I went to the Whiskey to hear The Meters what a great band, had to go back the next night then later with the Neville Brothers. Those were master classes in groove and pocket. Thank you Art for all your music!

I had the pleasure of seeing the Neville Brothers at the King Center here in Melbourne with opening act Keb 'Mo.

I loved every minute of that concert. Art was on the money that night, as was the entire band. Just incredible.

A few years later, same venue, I saw Keb 'Mo and Charlie Musselwhite open for Dr. John.

Two incredible New Orleans legends, in my town, playing less than a mile from my house.

What an incredible treat.

RIP Art. You will be missed by all.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

RIP Papa! I've seen Art a few times live... love his legacy that goes all the way back to the 50's...Keyboard Mag. in an article about 10 year back referenced his Clav work...beside his Hammond chops.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

RIP Poppa Funk! I lived in N.O. from 82 - 89 and used to catch the Neville Bros. around town. They, along with their predecessors the Meters, made everyone dance whether they wanted to or not. IMHO Art was the real musical driving force behind both bands.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Damn. Another one of the greats gone. There were a couple times that I played in bands that opened for the Funky Meters, and I got to play Art's Hammond. The main thing I remember about it: the percussion was friggin' LOUD! His Soft setting was louder than the Loud settings on most organs, and his Loud setting would take your head off. His organ tech told me he liked it that way for one reason: so he could be heard over Leo. Even at that level, some things never change.

A couple years ago when Tipitina's got a house B3, I noticed that the percussion on it was way loud. I immediately asked, "Did this use to belong to Art Neville?" The sound guy said it hadn't, but he got why I asked.