Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sheet Music + Tablet, 2019 Edition

Currently, I have an old iPad that I use pretty successfully for lead sheets, and in a pinch for grand staff + vocal sheet music arrangements.

But, it's a relatively small screen, and major drawbacks are (no surprises here):

• The screen is too small
  • With only 1 page up at a time, music with two, three, or more staves involves too many page turns that get in the way of smooth performance

With the arrival of the 12.9in iPad, I've been contemplating an upgrade to at least solve the problem of the first item . . . but the price is prohibitive and feels inappropriate for what is ultimately going to be a pdf display device.

So, I'm interested in iPad alternatives. Who here is using Android tablets? Any recommendations? Is there a non-iPad solution with as large a screen size as the 12.9 iPad? Are people using Mobilesheets? How does it compare to forScore? Does anyone use a jumbo tablet (is there one out there?) for a two-pages-side-by-side experience?

Just curious what the current take/experience is on this stuff.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Surface Pro and Mobile sheets.

I am very happy with this approach, but on he other hand, I have no experience using an iPad or the programs that run on it.

Still, I give Mobile Sheets a big thumbs up.

My wife and I are on this same topic lately. A good sheet music reader really needs a quality high res screen the size of a sheet of paper if your gigs are detailed sheet music (as opposed to lyrics and/or chord charts).

The problem with Apple is, they reserve the 12.9" screen for the iPad Pro which has enough horsepower inside it to run Photoshop (total overkill for this job) and price it at $999 with a measly 64gb of storage. Then it's another $150 bucks for 256, another for $512 all the way up to $1749 for the terabyte. If you can write it off for work and have the $1k+ burning a hole in your pocket, then ya - an iPad Pro 12.9" with Forescore is great and obviously you get the entire app store at your finger tips for other jobs.

Other than building your own with a Raspberry Pi, how can we get a functional throw in your bag reader on the cheap?

I've been eyeing second hand Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" wi-fi only - can find for about $300 give or take, some "refurbished". It has a lousy 32gb of storage but takes MicroSD cards.

Mobile Sheets runs on Android v4.0.3 and up and costs $12.99.

A replacement battery kit for the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 costs $49.99.

Lots of cheap pens work with it $5+.

Obviously the newest model Surface Pro 6 is overkill and very expensive. But a Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - they range in price from $350 to $650 (cheaper without the keyboard and pen, you can get a pen for about $40) As mentioned above, they make Mobile Sheets for Windows 10, it is also $12.99.

It takes SD cards if you need more storage.

Battery replacement for a Surface Pro 3 runs about $200 but is a difficult job.

-----

One a side note, eink readers are still pricey and I have never used one, so can't comment on how fast that type of screen can do a page turn.

But here is a January 2019 article that lists some options. $699 and up for single and dual 12+" screens.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/the-best-e-readers-for-musicians-and-pianists

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On my old original iPad, I used Forscore in landscape orientation. Yes, this resulted in twice as many pages turns. Are you using a pedal for page turns? It really works well.

( i now have an original iPad Pro, which works well delivering 1 full page in Portrait orientation. Agreed, it"s pricey! )

I just went thru this ordeal and as much as I hated to I went with the iPad Pro 12.9. First my computer I normally do everything on and was easy to access playing guitar, is too far from the keyboard and no room for the computer by the keyboard. I finally found a piano teacher I think will be good for me via Skype so needed something to Skype with by my keyboard. Other decision maker was ForScore and other music app's, also connectivity to other device now that they are USB-C. If I get a good multiport hub for it I can connect a lot of different things. Last because you can't believe anything till it ships but the iOS 13 is suppose to improve on file handling in iOS.

So yes it was expensive, but most the alternatives like MS Surface weren't cheap either. With the 3rd party stand I got the iPad will not take much space and still sit for a good view of my keyboard. Last the tariffs are coming and that's going to jump prices, most things you buy now were shipped from China before the tariff date so no tariff.

Only hassle I got is AppleCare can't be sold to California and Florida because of some state restrictions. Online dealers will say just buy it at a local Apple reseller like Best Buy. I read Best Buy's website they sell AppleCare but only in the stores. I called the store they said yes just have to bring iPad in and your receipt form other dealer to confirm not over 60 days old. I get to Best Buy they refuse to sell AppleCare for anything they didn't sell and refused to budge. One person at Best Buy finally gave me a 800 for Apple Tech Support and said they will sell it over the phone. So I called Apple Tech Support and they sold me and talked me thru setup so I could let them in to the iPad to run diagnostics and okay it for AppleCare. So if you get an iPad online and in CA or FL just call Apple Tech Support and save a lot of run around trying to get AppleCare.