Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vengeance Avenger VSTi Synthesizer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After I tried the Avenger demo I finally bought it. Badass virtual synth. Get the free demo and try yourself. Couldn't say it better than what Greg Wells says about it:

To me it was the discovery of the year. Never heard about this synth before. And no, I am not related to Vengeance.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

There is a 20% "Easter Sale" on Vengeance along with its expansions through May 3. Sweetwater also offers a "Five for the price of four" deal for the expansions, which during the sale comes to about $45 a piece. The expansions appear to be a great way to get familiar with (or be able to fake) various idioms such as "Tech-Step" "Deep House" and "Psy".

I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger on this one, I still haven't mastered Serum which does a lot of the same type of colors. The big advantage of Vengeance seems to be that it covers so many aspects of EDM type production including drums and mastering that you basically get finished tracks as soon as you call up a sequence and press a key. That's also its big disadvantage from my point of view.

• 2 months later...
Just out of curiousity, how many different instruments of such power do you (the collective you) have on your main drive? I can easily understand amassing focused plugs you use regularly. For example, I use the AAS Strum for guitars because physical modeling hits the right mark for me. When I see a library sporting Kontakt, Omnisphere, Serum, Falcon, SampleTank and more, I tend to think "diminishing returns." Any one of those is huge alone, especially if you can feed the oscillators with user WAVs. You could marry that approach the way Subotnick married his Buchla and go quite far. Avenger impresses me; its a beautiful beast. I simply wonder how many people really wring out a main tool or three, learning them (*loosely*) to the near-instinctive level many of us achieved on our early Moogs. Doesn't it approach the overload point, or do you learn everything to at least the 30% level so its justified? If I take the Omnisphere leap, don't call me for a year; I'll be... very, very busy. :love:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I think how diminishing the returns are depends in part on what you're trying to accomplish.

If, for example, you've mostly been trying to recapture that classic analog sound with the soft synths you've got, then VSP Avenger may not earn its keep. On the other hand, if you've got that classic analog sound down and are looking for a fast track to today's dance and pop synth and drum sounds, then VPS Avenger may be worth a look.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon