Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland cube street ex & preamp pedal

Hello,

I have a roland cube street ex and recently i tried to 'upgrade' my guitar sound with 3 pedals.

A looper rc1, a boss ge7 eq and in front of them an acoustic harley benton preamp with teverb and chorus.

This preamp is capable of making the sound more clear and of course more loud.

Actually i have the amp in echo mode ( this means it will use only 10 watts of its maximum 50 watt power ) and volume at 9 o clock. Without preamp i have to set it around 3 o clock in order to hear well my guitar.

My question is that: Can this preamp cause some kind of damage in the amp?

Thanx in advange

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Guitar Player Forum, Jerry1980! :wave::rawk: The short answer is, no.

The longer answer is, you might overdrive the input of your Roland Cube Street EX amp if you turn up the output volume of the Harley Benton Acoustic Preamp pedal very high (assuming that the HB Pre has enough output power); this could cause an overdriven, distorted sound, that you may or may not even find desirable, also depending on the COSM model mode that you may use. (What guitar are you using with this amp and these pedals? What style of music are you playing the most and what sounds are you going for?)

But this probably wouldn't damage your Roland amp or its speakers, unless you turned EVERYTHING WAY UP VERY HIGH and got a lot of runaway feedback and played VERY hard. You will probably just get badly distorted tone before you ever even begin to damage the amp or speakers.

You might experiment and try connecting your Harley Benton Preamp via your Cube EX Amp's Line-In input; also, via the XLR input with an XLR cable, if you haven't already.

Eco Mode will save on your portable Roland Cube EX amp's battery-life, though as you've noted, it will also reduce the available output-power, and probably make any unwanted overdrive and distortion more likely. You will get a lot more available output-volume and clean headroom in full power mode and may not even need the Harley Benton Preamp to raise your volume- your amp will just run out of battery power sooner.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Welcome to the Guitar Player Forum, Jerry1980! :wave::rawk: The short answer is, no.

The longer answer is, you might overdrive the input of your Roland Cube Street EX amp if you turn up the output volume of the Harley Benton Acoustic Preamp pedal very high (assuming that the HB Pre has enough output power); this could cause an overdriven, distorted sound, that you may or may not even find desirable, also depending on the COSM model mode that you may use. (What guitar are you using with this amp and these pedals? What style of music are you playing the most and what sounds are you going for?)

But this probably wouldn't damage your Roland amp or its speakers, unless you turned EVERYTHING WAY UP VERY HIGH and got a lot of runaway feedback and played VERY hard. You will probably just get badly distorted tone before you ever even begin to damage the amp or speakers.

You might experiment and try connecting your Harley Benton Preamp via your Cube EX Amp's Line-In input; also, via the XLR input with an XLR cable, if you haven't already.

Eco Mode will save on your portable Roland Cube EX amp's battery-life, though as you've noted, it will also reduce the available output-power, and probably make any unwanted overdrive and distortion more likely. You will get a lot more available output-volume and clean headroom in full power mode and may not even need the Harley Benton Preamp to raise your volume- your amp will just run out of battery power sooner.

Many thanx !! I actually have an acoustic guitar. I have set the amp in clean mode. I have never heard any distorted sound :) What is the difference using xlr instead of the simple jack?? Also what is the best way to connect a looper if I want to use the effects of the amp ??? ( Because if I connect it front there is an echo in any loop )

XLR jack is Lo-z, Guitar jack is Hi-Z; if you have an XLR Out on your Guitar, you may get a somewhat better response.

Not sure how much you need the Pre-Amp, as the Street Cube is supposed to be loaded with COSM Amp models, including a model designed for Acoustic/Electric Guitars. If you need volume and clarity, you should be able to contour the sound of the Amp models to give you what you need, as the Cube Street was intended to be an all-in-one system.

It doesn't appear that there's a quick and easy way to insert your Looper within the signal chain of the Amp, as there's no Send/Return option. You would have to turn off any FX within the Cube Street, so you don't keep getting Echoes added on top of your Loops. Roland refers to using the Cube Street with "backing tracks", by which they mean plugging your iPhone, or some similar device, into the Aux In mini-jack. That would allow you to play back pre-recorded Loops into the Cube Street, but they would still be sent to the onboard FX.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Welcome Aboard Jerry! I have a Roland EX4 and will try to give you a few answers/tips...

1). The amp has 3 channels. 1. is best used for a mic or for an acoustic guitar. You can run an electric guitar through it but be sure to switch it to instrument (from mic) when doing so. The switch turns off your tweeters which are not needed on electric guitars and it could be harmful to use them that way. It has reverb and volume controls. You can run effects in front of your acoustic guitar through this channel but it would be better to use channel 2 which is set up for guitar and use channel 1 for your mic XLR. Acoustic guitars with XLR out put cords can be plugged into either channel (without using pedals). I have an acoustic Taylor guitar that can use an XLR output cord. It has body sensors and may get a little better sound used direct to a PA with a 1/4" TRS to XLR cord or it can be used with standard 1/4" jack cord. Most acoustics are not set up this way and it's better to just use your acoustic with a standard 1/4" cord (you can then add pedals) . Not that much difference in sound IMHO but the XLR's could be panned left and right on stereo PA's. PA's also have 1/4" instrument inputs for using standard cords.

2). The 2 channel is set up for electric guitars and acoustic guitars. It has Lead, Crunch, Clean and Acoustic amp simulator settings switch. The lead and crunch are very loud and are used to make the amp sound like an overdriven tube amp. I always (as you have found) use the Clean amp setting. You may like the acoustic setting as well. This channel also takes an xlr which can be used for a mic or an acoustic or electric guitar (as it does not use the two tweeters). It is best used with a 1/4" standard guitar output cord. You can run your effects pedals in front of the guitar. However, remember this channel has Delay/Chorus and Reverb on board with two knob adjustments. If using duplicate effects, it would be best to turn off the Delay/chorus knob and you can still adjust the Reverb knob to you liking or off as well. You can use the left and right out put jacks on the back to run the EX 4 to a PA and use it as your monitor (it is angled to sit on the floor for this purpose. You can use it to monitor electric and acoustic guitars, mics, etc.

3). This channel 3 has a choice of left and right 1/4" inputs from a keyboard stereo or mono(L) Line-in. Or use the mini jack Audio-in for iphones, mp3's, lap tops, etc. It only has volume control for these choices but no effects will be added other than the source you are using provides.

4). Economy mode, Normal and Max adjustments determine the amp output at 10 25 or 50 Watts SS. in a small room it's best to use Normal or Economy and in a larger venue use Normal or Max. The amp will get louder as you increase the wattage (so watch your ears in the bedroom on Max LOL!). The Economy mode is best when running your 8 AA batteries as they will last a long time at the 10 watt setting. Your battery life will decrease to 3hours or less on Normal or Max. The battery change can be done between sets if needed and I always carry new replacement batteries if not using the AC/DC adapter plugged in. These amps are great for busking and outdoor venues at BBQ's, Beach, Campgrounds, etc. The AC/DC adapter will run like any other amp and is the best choice when running where electricity is available. *also, I find taking the battery pack out of the back when at home and not using the batteries will make them last longer. I just store mine in my carrying bag with extra batteries until I plan for an outdoor gig.

5). Ok , that's about it except for your looper question. I do not use my looper in line with the guitar as I want to record everything that comes out of the amp (i.e. my mic and vocals, guitar, etc.). If I was just using a looper in line with other pedals I would plug them into channel 2 and remember as stated above to turn down or off your Delay/Chorus on board effects to avoid those echos, etc. The best way to do what I do in making my own Digitec Looper recordings and playing back with them is as follows:

On the back you'll find two 1/4" out puts. Plug a 1/4" cord into the Left (mono) output & put the stereo/mono switch on mono...then run it to the IN of your looper. Take another 1/4" cord from the OUT of your looper and run it to the top channel 3 Left Mono line IN. And adjust your looper level control and your amp volume control to get your playback volumes adjusted.

That's about it...hope this is helpful. My Cube Street EX 4 is a great amp/pa combo that gets more use than all of my other equipment and it is light weight 22lb ton of fun! Hope this is helpful... :cool:

ps. I use a Boss Compressor CP 1X (my only in-line pedal) in front of my acoustic and electric guitars for a great clean volume boost. It really brings them both to life! Have fun!

Take care, Larryz

What is the difference using xlr instead of the simple jack??

I noticed that your Harley Benton Preamp pedal has an XLR output; using that, and the XLR input of your Cube amp, should give you a somewhat cleaner, clearer, stronger sound and be less susceptible to picking up noise than a 1/4" TS mono plug/cable, as the XLR connection uses a balanced cable connection similar to that of mic cables, inputs and outputs.

If your Harley Benton Preamp also has a TSR 1/4" output- and I do not think that it does, but I could be wrong- its potential benefits would be about the same as that of the XLR. I see that your Cube amp does also have a 1/4" TSR input, along with the XLR, for balanced connections.

(XLR and TSR 1/4" connections send the signal down two connection wires, in a scheme that makes for lower noise and thus also somewhat improved overall signal-to-noise ratios and potentially a better overall sound.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanx again. Finally the only way about looper was to: Plug the line out from the back of the street ex into your looper, then go from looper out into the aux in on the street ex...

The way with 3th channel did not work :/

As for the sound, i just did realize that i have chosen clean mode and not the acoustic one. It sound more natural to me.

In any case my main question if this preamp would make cause a damage in the amp. I may try a compressor + boss ge7 eq in order to give the final touch to my sound.

I think that is better to get over the inside fx :)

Many thanx :)

Jerry, the 3rd channel line-in on top (as opposed to using the Aux in on the back) works fine for me coming from the looper. Make sure the line out on the back is using the (Left mono) going to the looper. Make sure the stereo link switch next to it, is to the left for mono before going to the looper. The Aux-in on the back is for linking two EX 4's together. It will also work coming from the looper as you described, but it has less volume and no volume control (like the Left mono) line-in on top has. Make sure to adjust the volume level knob on the 3rd channel Line-in. Also, make sure the level on the looper is up to a normal level. Anyway, you can always use it the way you are having success with it...mine works great as I have described and is set up that way at all times (to include right at this moment in my music room). I just went in and switched the cord coming from the looper back and forth using the top line-in and the back aux-in and they both worked fine (but I like using the volume control on top for play back). If the Line-in on top doesn't work for you, you might want to check the 3rd channel amp jack on top by plugging in your acoustic guitar or a keyboard to make sure it is working. Good luck! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

5). Ok , that's about it except for your looper question. I do not use my looper in line with the guitar as I want to record everything that comes out of the amp (i.e. my mic and vocals, guitar, etc.). If I was just using a looper in line with other pedals I would plug them into channel 2 and remember as stated above to turn down or off your Delay/Chorus on board effects to avoid those echos, etc. The best way to do what I do in making my own Digitec Looper recordings and playing back with them is as follows:

On the back you'll find two 1/4" out puts. Plug a 1/4" cord into the Left (mono) output & put the stereo/mono switch on mono...then run it to the IN of your looper. Take another 1/4" cord from the OUT of your looper and run it to the top channel 3 Left Mono line IN. And adjust your looper level control and your amp volume control to get your playback volumes adjusted.

@Larryz - I was wondering if there was a workaround to the lack of a S/R. On most Guitar Amps, I suspect if we ran the Send Out back into a 2nd Channel there'd be hell to pay, if it worked at all?

I have to ask - from the phrasing ". . . making my own Digitec Looper recordings and playing back with them . ." it sounds to me as if you are sending pre-recorded backing tracks into the Cube Street? Are you also capturing live Loops on-the-fly, with the cabling method you describe? Just curious, as it might be a useful trick for other multi-channel battery-powered rigs.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@ Brother Winston, A lot of amps have an effects loop send and return, my multi fx pedal also has one. These are non-powered loops for using your pedals instead of going straight in. On tube amps they bypass the pre-amp section. Some guys go straight in with non powered signals from their guitars and pedals and also use an effects loop for other pedals as some do better using one or the other. I don't care for effects loops and go straight in front of the amp if I use a pedal or pedal board or MFX effects pedal. You probably have no need to take a send out to your pedals and then try to run them into the amp when you should run them into the amp return as it was designed for. I haven't tried running the return into an amp channel instead and thus can only tell you that the concept can work as described above using a looper and/or a PA recording/headphone output jack to a looper and then back to a channel on the PA. You record your mics and instruments on the fly and during play back on the looper make adjustment to the PA while sitting out in the audience.

Anyway, the EX 4 has two 1/4" line out which can be used in stereo going to two channels on the PA or switched to Mono using one out to the PA using one channel and use the EX4 as your monitor. The signal(s) going out is non-powered. You can run it to your digitech looper mono instead of a PA using the 1/4" input on the looper for guitar/instruments. (The Digitec also has a mic XLR input which I am not using for mic as the EX4 premixes my mic and guitar signal) (The Digitec also has a mini input plug for lap tops, Mp3's etc which I am not using as the EX4 signal is already doing the mixing for me). The only out on my Digitec is a 1/4" with can go back to the PA or looper with no problem*. *As long as you use Channel 3 which is a line in channel for additional plug ins and can be used for guitar, keyboard, etc with 1/4" jacks. It also has a mini input for cells, laptops, Mps, etc. I have never tried to use both at the same time so I can' say if one would disconnect the other on the two types of line inputs. I wouldn't run the looper back to the channel 2 as it has the amp simulators I described unless you left it on the clean setting. I run my mic in channel 1. My guitars in channel 2. And my looper back to channel 3 (which is just a line in with no effects or reverb which are not need as they have already been added to the mix using 1. and 2.) I run my guitar into just one pedal for clean boost which is a Boss Compressor mentioned above.

OK, now to your question LOL! Yes I'm running live on the fly off of the amp to the looper all mixed and wet back to the amp instead of using a dry signal, and then adding effects on play back. I can sing or not sing when making the loop and play along on playback. If you do not save the patch it will disappear with you turn the looper off or switch to a new patch. I like to record full songs instrumental and then work on my leads. Or, record full vocal and guitar songs to hear what the audience hears on play back. If it sounds good, I'll save. If not I will let it delete. You could use this live and prove to an audience that it is just repeating what you just played or sang live (but it takes a lot of timing and practice to get it under control). I do not take my material out until I have heard my life recordings and approve of what the audience will hear. I leave my looper at home and use it for my own enjoyment and for practices mostly as my gigging days are about over. My looper has an optional SD card which allows me to play and record 99 complete songs. You can offload them to a lap top and record 99 new ones....I do not use backing tracks, as I make my own on the fly during practice. I can plug in my lap top to the EX 4 and go on YouTube and play with backing tracks or any live performer that does material I like or want to learn. Anyway, hope this wasn't too long winded LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@Larryz - All good, thanks for the reply.

I've used the FX Send/Return jacks on my Amps for Mod & Delay FX, and on my Multi-FX I've used it to place the Mel9 or MIKU Stomp in the signal chain, but hadn't tried jacking a Send into another Amp Channel. Of course, on almost any two-channel Amp I've had, choosing one channel precluded using the other.

I do a LOT of live Looping, which is why I was curious about your approach. I tend to keep my Guitar FX in the Guitar Synth's S/R loop, so both Guitar and Synth sounds are output through the Guitar Synth's Output jacks, which I then send to my Looper. If I'm using a more extensive rig, I'll send everything to a small sub-Mixer, and send the entire mix out to the Looper, then to FOH, or to my KB Amp.

I also use my Looper as a sort of sketchbook, to save ideas that I'm not ready to commit to my HDR's, and for some backing tracks.

@ Winston, +1 I think the looper is the best practice tool a person can buy. It has a ton of uses only limited by our imagination. It is a great "sketchbook" for saving ideas, licks, etc., and for those that write songs/music. The EX 4 can be used much the same as a sub-mixer and then send your vocals and guitar to the soundman using the EX4 as your monitor. Although, when I did this at an out door Farmer's market gig on Main Street, we ran (my buddy also has an EX4) the mics separately and the guitars pre-set for our tone a volumes from the EX4's with the sound guy being able to make final adjustments. We got lots of great compliments on how nice the guitars and the mix sounded from the Vendors who have heard many bands/artists at their venue. Great little amps... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Hello...! I did try again the 3th channel with the looper...but for some reason i get a strange sound like pom pom pom which is in replay mode. I cannot explain it better.

My looper is rc1 boss. What i made wrong? Cables and inputs outputs are as you told me. Can you help me?

I'll try Jerry! Yours should work the same way as my set up so here's some ideas:

1). Use an AC 9v wart to power the looper or make sure you have a fresh battery

2). Use the A input jack and the A ouput jack on the looper

3). Test all 3 cords, your guitar and your amp input by plugging your guitar direct into the EX4 channel 2 set on the clean channel without the looper...working? Next switch the other 2 cords one at a time plugging into channel 2 with your guitar direct (no looper in line). Are all of the cords and guitar working? Now do the same in channel 3 (the line-in channel into the Left mono jack and adjust volume). Are all 3 cords and the guitar working?

4). Now go direct into the A input jack of the looper from your guitar and from the A output jack of your looper direct into channel 2 of your amp on the clean setting. Both the amp and looper working? Switch your cord from being plugged in to channel 2 to the channel 3 (line-input mono). Every thing working?

Ok, you've tested everything and they are all working. Now go direct from your guitar into channel 2. Now make sure the switch on the back is set to the left mono. Using the other two cords: Take the Left mono Line-out on the back and plug it in to the A input on the looper. Take the A output jack on the looper and plug it into channel 3 (line-input mono). Adjust volumes. Hopefully it's all working for you and you have tested all the amp, inputs, outputs, jacks, cords, guitar battery, looper battery, etc. (you can also use the Aux-in on the back if you prefer).

5). If you still are getting nowhere, you can always plug your guitar into the looper directly in front of the amp plugged in to channel 2 set on clean and it should work. read your instructions and get familiar with the looper. If your guitar works with the looper out of line, there could be a problem with the looper...Let me know if any of this helped. Good luck! :cool:

Take care, Larryz