Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Common Red Flags

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation in a rehearsal.... First time I put me in the main speakers with the new QU16 the guitarist/BL had bought but asked me to run for him, "I was way too loud!!!" He said.... Then, I turned me down, BOTH in my powered speakers (that are geared towards me by the way....) AND the main PA... Next comment I get after "playing" 7 songs (just moving my hands on the keys....) was, "Well, good job, now, that's it, perfect volume!!!!"...

To be honest, neither the singer, bassist is drummer noticed my lack ok keys in the mix anyway as well...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

... What you have to watch for is people who are "aging out", e.g. starting to slowly lose their faculties as a result of the inevitable. Not pretty. And we all hope to avoid it, but ...

Some quick personal math? I'm turning 60 soon. I have observed locally that once people get into their mid 70s, the live performance thing seems to be pretty difficult for them, despite their best efforts. So, what, 75 as an outside limit? Yes, there are counter-examples, just going by the population I happen to know. I'm turning 60 soon. I have observed locally that once people get into their mid 70s, the live performance thing seems to be pretty difficult for them, despite their best efforts. So, what, 75 as an outside limit? ...

I'm 74. I've had my main band for 17 years, I recently joined an originals band, and I play in the house band for a weekly jam as often as I can. Load-in and set-up is daunting but I manage. My knees are shot. I used to play keys and sax standing up. Now I use a tall stool, so the next morning I can still walk. Most evening gigs are over by 10:30 or 11:00. I don't do those 9:00 - 1:00 gigs anymore -- unless they're close and the money or the hang is good. I also don't travel an hour away, again unless the money or the hang is good. I'm grateful that I still get to play at my advanced age and also that I'm still able to play. My biggest fear is that something will happen to me physically that will make it hard or impossible for me to play. I think about quitting while I'm still ahead. But live playing is a drug and I'm an addict. At some point though, I'm going to look too ridiculous as an ancient rocker. Maybe I already do. But if they will still let me play, I probably will ...

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Well, I ignored the red flags and and got together with some people that wanted to start a new band. I knew the drummer and he is a decent player and a nice guy. I never met the other three. The singer (also had talent) and I had talked and he wanted me on keys and rhythm guitar. About a week before the "practice" a group email says they have a rhythm guitar player that sings harmony coming so I am now on bass. The other guys pick 7 songs to run through to see how it works. The lead guitar says the songs are cool because he has toured and can sing and play anything. (flag #1) Everyone but the lead shows up and about 15 minutes after the agreed time we get a text from the lead guitar saying he is about 15 minutes out. (flag 2) He arrives 30 minutes late and brings a giant rig. We play two songs and his volumes and varying from too loud to too quiet. (3) Now he and the singer start jumping to songs we didn't discuss doing. Play a cars song and the rhythm player has a "synth" patch on his pedal board.(4) Rhythm guitar is good and can sing harmony but he changes the one he is singing every time. The lead guitar can not play and sing anything as stated and hasn't learned all the solos in the songs picked (5). We finish and the singer says what do you think? I said I don't want to offend anyone but we needed to be much more organized, stick to the songs we chose and know our parts when we get here. Drummer agreed. Rhythm and singer didn't say much and the lead guitar texted and said he was out. I should have known it was a train wreck from the beginning. sorry for the long post, I needed to vent.

We finish and the singer says what do you think? I said I don't want to offend anyone but we needed to be much more organized, stick to the songs we chose and know our parts when we get here.

Good on you for having the courage to be honest with your band mates. Rehearsal time is valuable, and not to be frittered away.

Play a cars song and the rhythm player has a "synth" patch on his pedal board.(4)

LOL I feel like I know this band.... Saw them a couple nights ago; rhythm guitar guy used to play some synth on a little stand to his side, but now he's replaced that with a pedal for his guitar. The irony being they're an 80s cover band and could expand their repertoire considerably had they kept the keyboard or better yet, took on a full time KB player. I was disappointed by the disappearance of the keys but I'm not skilled enough to offer up my services, so it is what it is I suppose.