Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MPN Presents: Nashville Keyboardist Summit at SNAMM 2019

While at Summer NAMM 2019, I had the honor of moderating a panel of the most hired keyboard players in Nashville, though many of their accomplishments reach beyond the Nashville scene and country music. Sorry this is just a teaser, but the resulting discussion amounts to some of the most compelling content I've ever been a part of as a music journalist. I had to do very little to steer the discussion, and everybody had stuff to say that was absolute gold. Mike Martin caught it all on video, and we're now editing it all. Will likely do a series of clips as we have between one and two hours of footage. We even got some of the guys demonstrating go-to voicings and motifs on the Privia PX-S3000 Mike brought along. L to R in the attached photo: Myself, Matt Rollings, Michael Whittaker, Steve Nathan, Charlie Judge, David Cohen, David Dorn.

57.thumb.jpg.3b19206c34957288ce1988809270b2cd.jpg

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are honored and delighted to share Music Player Network's first official event - and what and awesome event it was! :2thu:

Special thanks to brother Steve Nathan for coming up with the concept (and arranging for us to do it at Ocean Way Nashville (how cool is that?!?), brother Mike Martin and Casio for their generous sponsorship of the event - including arranging for the video capture...and brother Steve Fortner for moderating.

:cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

:keynana:

And some of you guys wondered what this new MPN was going to be about... ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This was a really cool event. It was great to be a fly on the wall during this discussion. Reviewed most the video this morning - luckily nothing got screwed up too bad. We'lll begin editing this week and roll this out in segments asap. Cornerstone content for the new MPN.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

An excellent first step in a new era for MPN. Illustrates the strength and depth of this community and the commitment of some the most knowledgeable people from all parts of the industry to sharing their knowledge and doing the heavy lifting required so we all can benefit.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

This turned out to be one of the most enjoyable events I've ever been a part of. A lot of badass talent in a room at the same time, and yet the discussion was so ego-less and fun. About two hours of conversation about the Session Keyboardist's role in the making of records for others that was deep and nuanced, but still straightforward and easily understandable. My hat's off to Mr. Fortner, Mr. Martin and Mr. Bryce (who was physically absent, but so involved in the process leading up that his presence was clearly felt).

Thanks MPN for letting us be a part of the new world order. :laugh:

Ugh, seriously! Can't wait!! This is definitely a hugely unexpected and incredibly exciting development, particularly if more of these are planned in other contexts. I don't know if my first post quite expressed my excitement because I had just seen the picture on FB a few times, but man, is this gonna be cool. Thank you new MPN Overlords!! :keynana:

The idea sort of reminds me of what was one of my favorite podcasts, The Caffeinated Keyboardist by Jeff Babko. There were only eight episodes but they were all interesting and fun.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

An excellent first step in a new era for MPN. Illustrates the strength and depth of this community and the commitment of some the most knowledgeable people from all parts of the industry to sharing their knowledge and doing the heavy lifting required so we all can benefit.

Couldn't agree more.

Awesome news! These heavy hitters have much wisdom to impart!

Thanks to you, Dr, Fortner and to Steve Nathan and the wonderful Mike Martin!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

So when do we get to see this?

Well, it"s 90 minutes of material, so it does need a bit of editing...but I have it on good faith that we should have it soon.

I saw a bunch of it yesterday. You guys will dig it.

dB

It is coming together but as Dave mentioned it is lengthy. We'll probably release this in smaller segments starting at the end of August at the earliest. The MPN team is still working on the website and Youtube channels where all of this will live. As someone who witnessed this and did my best to capture it, I'm anxious to share it as soon as possible - just have to ask for your patience for a little while.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.