Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there an instrument or piece of music gear you own that you wouldn't part with under any circumstances?

I'm asking because I don't form attachments with instruments/gear. To me they're just tools for the job in hand.

But you may think differently...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently my Korg Kronos for the simple reason that I use it for all of my projects and have all of my work saved in it. It would take a huge amount of time to duplicate all that work on a new device.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Good question, never really thought about it before.

I guess it's half and half. I think most gear is interchangeable. If the guitar I currently use the most disappeared, I'd use a different one and get on with things.

However, there are three ways to look at the inseparable angle: practical, sentimental, and "chemistry."

Practical would be like J. Dan's example above. He loses the Kronos, he's hosed.

Sentimental would be like my Minimoog that Bob Moog signed when he was staying over at my house for a few days. I've been offered significant money for it, but it means a lot...especially because of what he wrote.

Chemistry would be a particular instrument that just feels right. My PRS Signature Series guitar is a special guitar, so is my Les Paul HP Blueberry Burst. For synths, I don't know why I like the Korg M3 or Kawai K3 so much, but I do. Sure, I can use other guitars and synths, but I'm very attracted to those, and love playing them.

A Moog Prodigy has survived the decades with me.

In the 1980s, when being a full-time manager dominated life and career, I sold off many keyboards, amplifiers, speaker cabinets, effects, etc., but there was something about that Prodigy. Glad I held onto it. To this day, syncing the oscillators and screaming through solos still excites. Just one of those things.

Steve Coscia

Interesting you should say that. At one point when I lived in California, a fast-moving wildfire was putting my home in imminent danger. I only had a VW Beetle and started thinking about what I would take: Telecaster (didn't have any PRS or Gibsons yet), tax records, lab notebook, TAC A-3340S, and S-100 computer with my trove of 8" floppy disks. I realized I could basically reconstruct my life from that.

The fire stopped about 300 feet from the house (!), and the ash made it look like it had snowed.

My Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI controllers and the Yamaha VL70-m synth modules. I use them a lot at work, they are no longer in production, and there is nothing on the market that compares to them.

I don't form attachments to gear either, they are just tools that I use to have fun with while I'm making a living. The wind synth is something I probably use on 30-50% of our songs, depending on the venue and the audience.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<