Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looks can be deceiving ( a Leslie story )

So I played a gig cpl weeks ago . My typical setup is a Legend Live going through a 142 . This particular gig , I needed other sounds so I broke out the trusty sk2 . Brought my speakeasy preamp to run the 142 from the sk2 and luckily a dxr10 for the other sounds. Setup , could not switch speeds with the speakeasy . What to do ? I ended up going direct with the internal sim into the dxr .

So, this gig was a private birthday party for the wife of the club owner , turns out their daughter is a great singer in a known national touring band , and had all her bandmates with her. Several of her players and her were really impressed I was using a real Leslie . Did the gig ( Leslie ended up being a stand for the mixer ! ) , and they all came up to me after the gig and said that Leslie sounded so good , such a difference using a "real " Leslie........well, as I said , I used the sim off the Viscount all night. I dont know if the sim is that good ( I dont think so ) or they just got sucked into seeing a real Leslie. I would think not seeing the horns spinning would be the giveaway.....apparently not.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to work for guitar players too.

Yes, a friend of mine knows an AC/DC tribute band that employs a wall of Marshall facades on each side of the drummer. It does a much better job selling the image, and the audience doesn"t seem to notice!

I'm always doing the opposite -- trying to make sure my Motion Sound KBR-3D is backlit so people can see the horn spinning, because otherwise it just looks like a run-of-the-mill keyboard amp. Sure, the sound is what counts, but if I have to carry all that stuff into the venue, I want everyone to know how cool it is! :laugh:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.