Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GPU?

This applies more to video than photo editing, but I'm curious. Most advertising for GPU's tends to be around gaming, which I don't care about. I do use my computer for photo and video editing, and the video editing in particular has gotten slow and started causing some hiccups. I'm just using the onboard video card built into the MOBO. I'm just curious if a good GPU would speed things up and if anybody has any experience or suggestions?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the DaVinci Resolve 16 ( Blackmagic Design, which also got Fairlight , I have the free version installed) as well as Cinelerra, for which you would need to run Linux, and it would in essence do some OpenGL thing, i.e. basic graphics ops.

Resolve can do 4k, but ob 16Gig mobo ddr and 2Gig Nvidia card (pretty good one, but from years ago), it doesn't like to do all too much because the Graphics card runs full. At HD or 2560x1440 (WQHD) it's better, and the Asus tools on windows 10 say the memory and graphics clock get used quite a bit, as Resolve is specified to use a lot of speedup from the card.

For Photo's, I've made a Cuda accelerated filter years ago, to do HDR processing in a drawing/image processing program. It worked great on a much less powerful card, and was quite needed, or at least desirable for the speed up. Most Free and Open Source normal and HDR drawing programs to my knowledge don't use all too much card bsed computation.

This applies more to video than photo editing, but I'm curious. Most advertising for GPU's tends to be around gaming, which I don't care about. I do use my computer for photo and video editing, and the video editing in particular has gotten slow and started causing some hiccups. I'm just using the onboard video card built into the MOBO. I'm just curious if a good GPU would speed things up and if anybody has any experience or suggestions?
Provided the editing software you are using can take advantage of GPU processing then you should definitely see an improvment. I have an Nvidia Quadro in my windows laptop and it does pretty well for it's age (now about 4 years old). As far as specific recommendations, I would check out some articles from the folks over at Puget Systems (high end PC builder). They do a bunch of benchmarking and tests with various programs and graphics cards https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Thanks for the suggestions - all the reviews I found online focused on gaming.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

A little more info....

I'm running Win 7 64 bit on Core2 Duo E6750 @2.66GHz and 2.00 GB RAM.

I know that's not much, but as a background, I was doing as much and more on an old Win XP machine on a first generation AMD Athlon. I was using the Adobe suite along with some other software, but the HD crashed and all my software was via download, so I couldn't install on the new machine. New machine was only intended to be temporary but I never ended up having the budget to upgrade. Old machine DID have a GPU but it was an AGP slot, so not usable on the newer machine.

As for software I'm using now and whether or not it would take advantage of a GPU.... Magix Audio Studio 7, Magix Movie Edit Pro MX, Blender, and GIMP 2.

If I could figure out how to get Adobe suite onto this machine, that is what I would prefer. I'm sort of in limbo using cheap/free stuff on a "temporary" machine, but it's struggling.

Dan

Looking at your PC specs Dan, I think you're better off investing in RAM and/or CPU as opposed to graphics card. Been doing a little bit of reading and it seems like a quad core or greater would give you the most improvement (of course your mobo needs to be able to support it). 2GB is also definitely the absolute minimum you could be using, if you can get to 4 (or 8) you'd be much better off. I couldn't get much info about whether the version of the Magix software you have supports GPU acceleration, but Blender definitely does.