Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone makes a come back

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/casiotone-series

"In 1980, Casio made music creation available to everyone, everywhere with the very first Casiotone portable keyboard. The CT-201 was the first electronic keyboard with full-size keys that anyone could afford. It launched a legacy of giving musicians of any age, budget, or skill level the innovations that help them sound their best.

Now, nearly 40 years later, Casio proudly presents the next generation of Casiotone keyboards. Casiotone is the perfect first step, the perfect gift, and the perfect way to have fun making music.

The ultra-compact CT-S100, CT-S200, CT-S300 and LK-S250 let you make music wherever and whenever you want. Just pop in six AA batteries, grab the built-in carrying handle and take your inspiration to go.

*Each model includes power supply and music rest"

Casio-CT-S-639x350.png

"Revamped to hit a high note with music lovers of all ages, the new Casiotone series of keyboards consists of three models including the CT-S200 (black, red and white), CT-S300 (midnight blue) and LK-S250 (black). Weighing in at just six pounds, the new models offer a refreshed design including a slim chassis and 61 keys, ideal for playing at home or on the go. Each keyboard is jam-packed with 400 tones, 77 rhythms, 50 patterns for Dance Music Mode, USB Midi, a rechargeable battery, adaptor and more! Additionally, all three models are compatible with the Chordana Play app, while the LK-S250 also boasts Casio"s Step-Up lesson system."

Pricing and Availability:

The Casiotone CT-S200 (MSRP: $109), CT-S300 (MSRP: $139), and LK-S250(MSRP: $159) will be available at select music dealers nationwide later this year.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, if that 5 octave action was a cut down hammer action from the new PX-S series...

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I get the reissue on general terms, but I'm curious about the sound quality. I don't expect a Synclavier, but it'd be nice to discover that they offered a higher form of GM. Not 64-bit quality, but at least 12-bit rather than the original 7.5-bit. :rolleyes: I'd hope to be able to jam on its piano and not blush the whole time... maybe notably pink, but not raging red. Seems fair. Let's see if the sound demos beat those of the GoPianos.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I didn't see anything in the press release about the sound generation method. My hunch is that they are romplers. I think that it would be better, though, if they were updated versions of the original casiotones. Those boards (like my MT-40) were all square waves. IIRC each voice was constructed with two pulse waves of different widths. I think that they modulated the pulse width to give the voices some animation. Those came out in the early '80s. I wonder what they could do with square wave synthesis using 2019 tech.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I honestly believe my first electric keyboard as a wee lad was a Casio MT-6x that I bought with my birthday money from Bambergers - if folks from the greater NY area remember that department store. Haha!

My first home organ was a Wurlitzer 4300 purchased from the basement of the Bambergers in the then open air Garden State Plaza still on the corner of rt.4 and rt.17 in Paramus, NJ.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

My mother had a Casiotone CT-370 when she grew up. Now I have it. PCM apparently but does not sound that great. Useful for the occasional synthetic sound where you don't want a realistic instrument. The keys are SO LIGHT though, it's ridiculous.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I honestly believe my first electric keyboard as a wee lad was a Casio MT-6x that I bought with my birthday money from Bambergers - if folks from the greater NY area remember that department store. Haha!

There was a Bambergers at the Christiana Mall in Delaware when it first opened in the late 70's. Long gone now obviously.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

What are the odds? My first keyboard was a Casiotone MT-68 that my dad bought for my birthday at either Bamberger"s or Sterns department store at the Paramus Mall in NJ. I had actually wanted a guitar, but my dad was cash strapped and it had to be on one of his many store credit cards. I still have the keyboard and recently picked up a power adapter so my 6 year old could mess around. Small world. ð

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.