Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Analogues - Beatles Tribute

Haven"t noticed these Dutchmen before - but they do a heck of a job getting the right instruments, arrangements and players to cover album versions of Beatles tunes live. They"re touring right now apparently doing the White album in full. They all sing, there"s a harp, string section, horns, Hammond, Rhodes, Harpsichord, upright piano, recorder, and what for.

[video:youtube]

Link to a mix of their performances.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend, originally from the U.S., who moved to Netherlands a few years ago. He and his wife like to see this group whenever they are playing in their area and hold them in very high esteem. He was saying that the band actually went to England and spent time consulting with the people involved in the Beatles' recordings (don't know if George Martin was one of them) to try to duplicate them as close as possible. I think they even consulted down to the level of exactly what instruments/amps/etc. were used on the recordings and use the same if they can. And, as Elmer pointed out, they try to use the same orchestral configurations as the original recordings

Here is another one I had seen before.

Oh wow, that gave me chills. The only other Beatles tribute band that's done that for me is the Fab Faux. Nothing really needs to be said about the Beatles that hasn't been said already, but boy, when the obscure songs are that good...

Also, I don't think I'd ever seen a real clavioline!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

These guys have been discussed here before, I think by me at some point. And yes, they are incredible. Crazy attention to detail.

Here's a YouTube video on the Clavioline from the guy that plays it on "Baby You're A Rich Man" from the video above; really quite interesting.

These guys have been discussed here before, I think by me at some point. And yes, they are incredible. Crazy attention to detail.

Here's a YouTube video on the Clavioline from the guy that plays it on "Baby You're A Rich Man" from the video above; really quite interesting.

I just spent a happy 20 minutes listening to the other YT links on the same page as that one. These guys rule. They totally nailed "Getting Better", among many others.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

They've been posted here before and do a really wonderful job of lovingly representing those tunes.

I have a funny complaint, which is the kind of gripe that is an underlying compliment, since if you're complaining about this, everything else must be stellar, but: the one thing I get distracted by with them is that the mix often seems off to me. The parts are all there, but so much of that final sound was in Martin's artistry behind the desk, making things blend and burble up, and I find the Analogues' mix to be too unpredictable live.

As I say, a gripe that proves the bad-assness of the rest.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The instruments most of us can do, but what makes these folks rise a little higher is that the singer has McCartney's timbre and NAILS all of Paul's little vocal inflections and microphone techniques. Superb.

Here for the gear.

I think having that many instruments is a little much. Maybe they could"ve stripped it down to 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, bass, and drums? Surely 2 keyboardists could cover those sounds with the right gear.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I think having that many instruments is a little much. Maybe they could"ve stripped it down to 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, bass, and drums? Surely 2 keyboardists could cover those sounds with the right gear.

In this particular act, the instrumentation is the act. It"s what sets them apart from other Beatles covers acts the most.

And as we all know...

A cameo from Paul and Ringo would put their show through the roof!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Surely 2 keyboardists could cover those sounds with the right gear.
Where"s the fun in that, when you can have the actual instrumentation onstage? Most of us are limited by logistics, but if these folks have the budget, organization, patience, and discipline to perform the songs as recorded, more power to them.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.