Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Module Pro iOS with layer, split and Midi learn

Hi All,

I've got the good surprise to learn today about the release of the new Korg Module iOS version, named now Korg Module Pro, and which adds layer, split and Midi CC# learn functions!

https://www.korg.com/fr/news/2019/071803/

As I've used Module almost since the beginning, I see these additions as something very positive!

OK I will not comment on the still missing AU function, but at least it makes Module a quite attractive solution for a one single keyboard rehearsal setup, which would change my keyboarder life nicely ;-)

However, I'm still trying to figure out the best Audio/midi interface to connect everything easily and fast.

I still have the Korg Plugkey in the back of my mind, but also in the Module pro introduction video under the link above, one can see in the end a Focusrite interface, which looks pretty much like a Scarlett solo, but with the Midi input and output ports and an USB plug in addition.

This looks for me like the perfect solution, but when I checked the Focusrite's website, I couldn't find any information about such an interface.

Does it mean that Focusrite is about to release such an Audio/Midi interface in the next days? Summer NAM? Does anybody have any information on this?

Thanks a lot for any info and let me know what you think about this new Korg Module update!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the video. I updated late last night and have yet to buy the multi expansion, not crazy about the new sounds, but at least it appears Korg has recommitted to this app ð

I don"t know which Focusrite Interface that is, but if you"re looking for these features you might try iConnectivity.

If I do buy the expansion I"ll repost ð

Here for the gear.

You're welcome ;-)

I bought immediately the expansion pack, as I wanted to try the split function.

I did not have the time to listen to the additional sounds, but I don't care so much, as I find that Module is already including all I need (maybe beside bass, but I don't really play bass on keyboard).

I have to say that the split interface is pretty well made. I would just miss direct control of the effects of each instrument. For this, you have to go back to the Module menu and switch between both to tweak as desired.

I think also there is a bug on the damper pedal activation/de-activation: it doesn't seem to work properly (for example when using the damper pedal for the leslie effect on the organ, even if you de-activate the damper, pushing on it still changes between slow and fast speeds...).

But the split point can be adjusted very easily.

Also chosing instruments is very simple.

Now I have to figure out if I can use my 73 keys keyboard for splits: I have some songs to play where a high range of piano is needed in addition to organ, and even with 88 keys it is a bit short.

I would have then to switch octaves live and direct.

I think it is possible with programming a knob on my controller keyboard to do this through the Midi CC# learn function, but still I'm not so sure it can work for me...

Need to think about it ;-)

For the iConnectivity interfaces, I already checked them before, but I find the Connect audio 2/4 a bit too big. Also I don't need the 2 inputs and I find the price a bit high. So I could not go for it...

However, I'm still trying to figure out the best Audio/midi interface to connect everything easily and fast.

I still have the Korg Plugkey in the back of my mind, but also in the Module pro introduction video under the link above, one can see in the end a Focusrite interface, which looks pretty much like a Scarlett solo, but with the Midi input and output ports and an USB plug in addition.

This looks for me like the perfect solution, but when I checked the Focusrite's website, I couldn't find any information about such an interface.

Does it mean that Focusrite is about to release such an Audio/Midi interface in the next days? Summer NAM? Does anybody have any information on this?

Looks like a Focusrite SCARLETT 2i4 V2

750-Scarlet2i4G2_detail1.jpg

Sorry, but CAD$28 for split/layer functionality and MIDI Learn? In 2019? Hard pass. Forget the lack of AUv3 support. :facepalm:

I'm two seconds away from just deleting the app from my iPad, it (and Gadget) keep missing the mark so badly.

(YMMV, as is obvious from the slightly fanboy tone of the OP).

I agree and haven't bought the expansion pack. They'll have to bring a whole lot more to the table to justify the price, and work as a stand-alone. I say this because of Apple's discontinuation of IAA in the near future. I am glad to see that Korg has at least updated the app as one that actual musicians can use, rather than Gadget (sorry Gadget heads, but it's a video game for DJs).

They could have just dropped it; let's hope they continue to improve it.

Here for the gear.

Guys, I find you a bit harsh!! To have the same variety of instrument than in Module and the layer/split function, you need to collect a bunch of apps, namely Ravenscroft or Colossus for the pianos, Neo Soul keys for the EPs, Galileo for the organs, Heavy brass for the horns, iSymphonic Orchestra for the strings, another app for the Synths, AUM for the layer/split. Somebody should make the sum but I think that all in all, Module is cheaper. Plus you have the setlist function which can be useful for live performance and the integration in Gadget. By the way, some of the mentioned instruments includes also in-app purchases.

Sound quality is alright for me for the main instruments, even the pianos. I like a lot the Scarbee EP ;-)

Sure the organs lack drawbars , but you can find some decent ones in the pack.

For Gadget, I agree it"s a bit a painful to use it, especially for song arranging, but I could make a bunch of nice tracks with it.

So on my side, I"ll keep on with both apps.

The only thing which really pisses me off is the lack of AUv3. I agree it is really not nice and I don"t understand why Korg does not implement it.

Or I understand they don"t want to open to tier apps.

Hmmmm..... the Expansion Pack in the US is showing as $19.99. It also says in the app store that Korg is having a up to 50% off sale on music apps until August 31. So does that mean the Expansion Pack will be $39.99 after this sale?

The other app that does this and more is Sampletank for iOS. It supports up to 8 instruments at one time, all with separate volume and key zoning. Syntronik also does this, with 4 instruments at a time. Sampletank is similar to Module Pro, the core app is relatively cheap, but then you can buy many sound expansions for it.

I'm not surprised Korg is trying to milk Module. In the iOS world, apps are oftentimes 10x cheaper, then their corresponding PC apps.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Ouch, 39.99 USD would make the expansion pack too expensive in my opinion...

Yes that"s right, Sampletank is equivalent to Module, even more powerful and with even more instruments. However, you also need to spend a significant amount of money to get the full range...

I tried it once, also for the split function, even bought some expansion packs for pianos and EPs, but in the end, I decided to stay with Module, as I had already invested some money into it. So I asked for a refund on the Sampletank expansion packs I bought.

Also sonically, I had a preference for Module... But it"s just a matter of taste :-)

Yes that"s right, Sampletank is equivalent to Module, even more powerful and with even more instruments. However, you also need to spend a significant amount of money to get the full range...

Yeah, both of them can get pricey with all the add-ons. Sampletank can probably add up to more, simply because I think they offer more sounds to choose from. It's really aggravating, though, that there's essentially no way to "audition" sounds before purchase, in most cases not even audio samples to listen to, much less anything you could try playing in some limited way.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Once in a while, somebody from Korg takes the time to hang out in a forum. Unfortunately for KC lovers, this time it's the Audiobus forum.

Anyway, fwiw, "ioue" from Korg has just started popping in on the Gadget 2 thread, responding to questions/comments about Gadget, Module, etc.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30850/korg-gadget-2#latest

Probably want to just jump to the last page, and work backwards

I wonder if they reduced the lag time?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have updated Module to "Pro" and use an iPhone 6 with "camera usb" cable I also have it on a 2018 iPad.

My Casio PX S3000 has about 7 ms latency, my Module with Ivory Piano has about 14 ms latency. I can't handle that so well.

Furthermore from another thread:

I went back and compared Ivory Steinway running on my Windows 10 PC in Pro Tools vs. it running on the iPad in Module. Even though I was at 128 sample buffer on the Windows machine vs. 64 on the iPad, it was CLEARLY more responsive and consistent. It got me thinking that MIDI jitter might be as big an issue as latency. As most people run these iPad synths/instruments in standalone mode, it's up to each developer to properly account for latency and jitter. Seems like it's going to be all over the place.

http://expressiveness.org/2012/12/04/midi-jitter

There's also a huge difference in the playability. The Ivory Steinway covers a wide dynamic and timbral range. On the PC it's 18 velocity layers. On the iPad, it's something like five trying to cover the same range. When playing I found huge jumps in timbre and dynamics vs. the PC which was perfectly smooth as you would expect with 18 layers. I honestly found it to be unplayable. If others can make it work for them, more power to them, I can't.

Busch.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Sorry, but CAD$28 for split/layer functionality and MIDI Learn? In 2019? Hard pass. Forget the lack of AUv3 support. :facepalm:

I'm two seconds away from just deleting the app from my iPad, it (and Gadget) keep missing the mark so badly.

(YMMV, as is obvious from the slightly fanboy tone of the OP).

It's not often, but I agree!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have no issue on my side.

I"m using an ipad Air 2 with an iRig Midi plug first generation.

The only issue I have is when using another app at the same time for practising, like iReal Pro or Anytune, which is a bit annoying.

But maybe I should get a new iPad...

I have updated Module to "Pro" and use an iPhone 6 with "camera usb" cable I also have it on a 2018 iPad.

My Casio PX S3000 has about 7 ms latency, my Module with Ivory Piano has about 14 ms latency.

Your Casio PX S3000 has abou 7 ms latency... dong what? Are you saying you experience latency when it is playing its own sounds?

I don't understand why you would delete an app you already paid for and found of some use, just because they came out with a new in-app purchase you don't want to buy because you find it over-priced. Is the rest of what it offers you any less useful than it was a week ago?

Meanwhile, since you own Gadget, you already have the ability to load multiple Module sounds simultaneously and layer them as you'd like, right? Though to split them, you'd have to either use a controller that does MIDI zoning, or use another app (i.e. MidiFlow, iMidiPatchbay, Camelot Pro, Keystage, AudioBus 3, AUM...?). I suspect that lots of Module/Gadget owners already have one or more of these things, and are already able to split and layer Module sounds without buying the add-on.

My big issue is that, while you can put different gadgets on different MIDI channels, they don't accept MIDI Program Changes. I guess that's another opportunity for Korg to come out with a $20 expansion. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Module can"t be split with another app when using AUM. This is why the new split and layer functions are a welcome addition in my opinion. I don"t know if it"s possible with Camelot Pro or Keystage. I would assume not, as I think Korg has limited the Module Inter-App audio features accessible through other apps, probably to sell their own expansion packs offering these features ;-)

Also using Module as an Inter-App audio instrument from Auria, AUM or Garage Band is pretty difficult. The app is systematically crashing when you open it, it takes at least 2 or 3 tries before it finally works.

Again I"m really unhappy with this, but it really seem like Korg has decided not to make it AUv3 compatible :-(

For the price level, then this can be always be discussed. I pulled the trigger very fast, as I always find iOS app rather cheap, and don"t buy one too often. But maybe I"m wrong.

Korg apps Odyssey and iM1 are in my live gig arsenal. Never could get Module to play nicely in a live setting, although it is a blast to dink around with by myself. I've got all the iap's except this split thingy. Sorry Korg, It is way too expensive for me for what it does, even at half price. Sample Tank covers most of what I tried to get Module to do for my live set.

I bought the add-in today. Half-price won't be around always (though it usually returns). I CAN go to the trouble of setting up a bunch of stuff, including external stuff, just to accomplish the splits and layers, but I don't want to. Actually, there were some new bass patches in that update that I find quite pleasing, and all this together means that I can more easily just use the iPad with Module and no other software to do everything I need (for gigs that don't need the big keyboard stuff - and as I get older, my tolerance for hauling heavy gear around is getting smaller.

BTW, it also showed me that my previous method of setting up a bunch of different patches all so they are near each other and I can easily switch from one to another - I probably should have been set mode. That's the one thing I don't like so far - after I set up a split, getting back out of it to do some patch that doesn't use it seems to first require selecting something else in the Set List (I confess that I may just have not found the right method - there doesn't seem to be a version 3 pdf manual yet, and only a few videos which one was quite useful in figuring out how to make the split but they don't cover my problem area. When I select a different patch, it just changes the split to use that patch, with the other side of the split still the same. Didn't play with it long enough to get it cleared up, I needed to install on a couple of devices, plus install another app on all 3 iPads.

I also have SampleTank with a bunch of their add-in sounds (the result of getting an iRig Pro 39 refurb from IK, which had to be immediately swapped out at my shipping expense - I did get some free credit for add-ins). There are a few sounds there I really like, but overall I like Module better. I do have all of the expansions except the Ivory American Grand - didn't see a need since I have the other Ivory Grand.

Overall perspective - I'm just glad to have more choices.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Module can"t be split with another app when using AUM. This is why the new split and layer functions are a welcome addition in my opinion. I don"t know if it"s possible with Camelot Pro or Keystage. I would assume not, as I think Korg has limited the Module Inter-App audio features accessible through other apps,

I don't know enough about AUM. But the way you could do it with some of those other apps is, as I mentioned, placing the Module sounds into Gadget, which allows you to load multiple Module sounds, on the same or different MIDI channels. If you put them on the same channels, you have a layer. On different channels, you could use a keyboard that transmits on a single channel, and one of these other apps to split the incoming MIDI from that keyboard to send some notes back out to Gadget on one channel, and other notes back out to Gadget on another channel, to create a split (or even combinations of splits and layers involving more than two sounds). Though if your keyboard, itself, functions as a multi-zone controller, you don't have to bother with this additional app. Anyway, I haven't done this myself, but I believe it should work. What it requires is that those other apps see Gadget as a MIDI destination.

BTW, it also showed me that my previous method of setting up a bunch of different patches all so they are near each other and I can easily switch from one to another - I probably should have been set mode. That's the one thing I don't like so far - after I set up a split, getting back out of it to do some patch that doesn't use it seems to first require selecting something else in the Set List (I confess that I may just have not found the right method - there doesn't seem to be a version 3 pdf manual yet, and only a few videos which one was quite useful in figuring out how to make the split but they don't cover my problem area. When I select a different patch, it just changes the split to use that patch, with the other side of the split still the same.

Are you saying you can"t just save a Split in Program mode? If not, I"d probably save individual user sounds as a Set. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Set List, though.

Here for the gear.

At first look (still haven't had time to dig in), it is EASY to save a split in the User area. The problem comes when one wants to change to some other sound. It seems to interpret the change as only referring to the second (right side) of the split. Example: set up a split with a bass guitar sound on left and Hammond/Leslie on right.

Later - using other sounds in user area (keep them there even if not modified, easier to get to with just a finger on the touch screen for quick patch changes. Make several change not including the split - all normal. Change to the split - normal. Change back out of the split to another patch - not normal, only the right side changes, the left remains on bass guitar.

The split (or layer) is actually created in the Set List mode, haven't found any way to create outside that, and that's how the guy on the YT video did it. Only way I found to get out of the split/layer completely other than closing Module is to choose any other patch listed in the set list. It appears that the set list keeps track of the last few patches that are manually entered - I haven't worked with set list enough to be really familiar. At any rate, can get out of the split by changing from my normal view of the user patches to the Set List, selecting something else, it goes to that sound. But then I have to get back to normal use mode for my normal operation.

Again, I may not yet realize just how to do this without all the above. I presume that Korg will release a PDF manual for the Module Pro (tell the truth, I did not check to see if the manual can be brought up inside Module Pro, and it may be. When get a few minutes to play with it, will check.

At any rate, I do think the added ability is worth it - at least to me. It is a sight easier than adding additional apps to handle the MIDI and splits and running all the apps at once while playing live - especially if I'm not charging the iPad at the same time.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Once in a while, somebody from Korg takes the time to hang out in a forum. Unfortunately for KC lovers, this time it's the Audiobus forum.

Anyway, fwiw, "ioue" from Korg has just started popping in on the Gadget 2 thread, responding to questions/comments about Gadget, Module, etc.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30850/korg-gadget-2#latest

Probably want to just jump to the last page, and work backwards

ioue checked back in with a "our team will make a discussion to step forward about AUv3".

it's a followup to his/her/their earlier post:

"Well, I'm here, so that I know many people here want AUv3 support.

Could you let me know what AUv3 host are you using? GarageBand, AUM or Cubasis?

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?"

...and subsequent responses of the "I want use host XXX"... "I want the YYY Gadget to be AUv3"

Actually, this discussion is happening here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33871/korg-vs-auv3-support-a-never-ending-story

That's a good news, at least they seem to be finally willing to listen to the users on this particular point.

Hopefully they don't wait for 5 years before implementing it ;-)

I would love to have all the Module instruments available inside Auria Pro and being able to tweak them before bouncing a track!!!! Fingers crossed...

I don't understand why you would delete an app you already paid for and found of some use, just because they came out with a new in-app purchase you don't want to buy because you find it over-priced. Is the rest of what it offers you any less useful than it was a week ago?

What makes you think Module was useful a week ago? It's been months since I bothered to try to use it seriously, other than to open up a quick piano sound when I'm backstage trying to pick out a chord voicing, or some similar thing, and I have a dozen or more apps that do that just as easily. ;)

Meanwhile, since you own Gadget, you already have the ability to load multiple Module sounds simultaneously and layer them as you'd like, right? Though to split them, you'd have to either use a controller that does MIDI zoning, or use another app (i.e. MidiFlow, iMidiPatchbay, Camelot Pro, Keystage, AudioBus 3, AUM...?). I suspect that lots of Module/Gadget owners already have one or more of these things, and are already able to split and layer Module sounds without buying the add-on.

Which brings me to my big problem with Gadget, as you state:

My big issue is that, while you can put different gadgets on different MIDI channels, they don't accept MIDI Program Changes. I guess that's another opportunity for Korg to come out with a $20 expansion. ;-)

And another opportunity for me to tell Korg to go stuff it by refusing to pay for them to play catch-up.

A shame, because it would be great to be able to use some of these things outside of their locked, walled "garden" as someone referred to it (iWavestation, iOddysei, etc) but lots of alternatives to those.

Moving on...

• 7 months later...

I think it is possible with programming a knob on my controller keyboard to do this through the Midi CC# learn function, but still I'm not so sure it can work for me...

I am considering to purchase the performance expansion for the split and the Midi learn feature. But I read in the manual that only pianos, clavs and organ can receive Midi CCs to control a few parameters. What about parameters of synth sounds such as Cutoff, Resonance etc.? Can't the be controlled by Midi CCs? I don't want to buy the expansions only to find out that synth sounds can't be controlled the way I need it.

Do any of you fellow Module users know this?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)