Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruce Springsteen Im a Rocker- what organ?

I play this in a band. The high end organ sound on this doesn't sound like a B3 on this song and it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out if it is or is it a Combo organ like a Farfisa. I know there's a lot of B3 experts on here- what is this?

[video:youtube]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

true, this. Thanks for posting that video. One of my least fav Springsteen songs. Never knew Danny and Roy switched chairs on this song. Have a new appreciation now for this song. Saw this tour twice in 1980 but don't remember the keyboard players switching chairs. Maybe I was distracted. :blush:
:nopity:

Aw that's what they did... pretty cool! One interesting thing I learned recently being in a Bruce tribute (I'm a fan also) and looking stuff up is that Roy did all of the keyboards on the Born To Run album- except for the Born To Run song- which does have Danny. So those Danny like organ bits on Backstreets that I always thought were Danny- or the organs on Jungleland- all Roy! And on the song BTR is Boom Boom Carter on drums, which I always assumed was Max- who is on the rest of the album.

And on the song BTR is Boom Boom Carter on drums, which I always assumed was Max- who is on the rest of the album.
Apparently Max still can't play those tom fills in the bridge (before the big descending riff going back into the verse) the way that Boom played them on the record. And he's been playing the song for 45 years now!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Dan wasn't around then. Something bad kind of was going on. Sancious played some parts on BTR. Mostly it was Roy though. I have an interview with Roy where he talks about it but doesn't say why Dan wasn't there. He could be tough to work with. Roy composed a lot of that album on piano. Remember Bruce couldn't always articulate his ideas well, Gary Tallent had said that in the early years his arranging skills weren't the best. Both Dan and Roy had a lot of training though and could bring things to light. Dan was kind of a prodigy and never missed a lot of notes according to Mile Appel. Roy went to Brookyln College but was also a prodigy accordion player. Roy also is playing some solo's that Dan did on the last couple tours for Charlie. I was right near his rig in 2016 so I could see what he wasn't playing as I know the music well. It tells me Charlie, as good as he is doesn't know all of the songs or maybe can't pull it off? Tough sound and style to get right if you don't understand it. Live Dan played all those organ parts in Backstreets and Jungleland.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The quote from Roy I saw was that the BTR sessions just went on for 16 hours a day with endless retakes and that Danny wasn't an endless retakes 16 hour a guy type of player and didn't have the attention span for it. Danny was still in the band.

Still in the band but battled a lot of addictions also, that's what most people don't know. And that is what's left out of most articles that mention him. His playing was intuitive which I don't find for many keyboard players, 60% of them I'd say. Check out my signature. Anyway he could come in an drop first takes. The solo on Hungry Heart is a first or second take. He instinctively new what to do at all the times. He and Roy are severely underrated. No two keyboard players were better at what they were doing then them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

He and Roy are severely underrated. No two keyboard players were better at what they were doing then them.
Their chemistry and interplay on piano and organ was what got me into Bruce in college, even though my dad had been a fan for decades. I remember listening to some of the Hammersmith Odeon '75 recordings and just basking in it. I was listening to a lot of The Band around that time and anything with two keyboard players felt like a special treat.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Sam that's very true They are huge in my influences. Listen to this, they just released 1980-12-29 - Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, NY over at springsteen.net. I just bought the show and have the MP3's. Let me know if you want them. Delaware Dave you might also.

noblevibes.com