Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back in May, EscapeRocks said

That the gig he did reminded him why he loved this.

As mentioned in the thread, last Thursday his band came to the Houston area so my wife and I trekked up to the venue to see Dave and his band. This was my third time seeing them. Once again, these guys put on a killer show. What I get a kick out of is that they don't play 100% Journey, though they do. What I mean is that they also sneak in bits of other tunes as they fit, Fooling Yourself by Styx, a Van Halen riff here, Layla, Feelin' Alright, etc., and though they didn't do it this time, they play Oh Sherrie too (I don't recall if Journey did that when Perry was in the band). I told Dave after the show they play what Journey would play if they were cool. :D

Anyway, pics or this mini KCFH didn't happen, right? ;)

XTSvSJs.jpg

1nWJ6dm.jpg

diMyJBU.jpg

I wanted to get the whole band right after the show with me but they were all running around, taking photos with other people, tearing down, etc. so I only got Dave. :(

;) No, that was cool, we all know what post-show can be like and I didn't want to hassle anyone.

Great to see you again, Dave!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! :2thu:

But now I want the info on the rig. Is this the non-laptop rig or is it off stage somewhere?

P.S. Journey played Oh Sherrie live on their Raised on Radio tour (Steve Perrys last tour with the band). Heard it myself in Champagne, Illinois.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Joe!

It was cool to see you and Lori. Thank you for the compliments. Also sorry about no group photo. I forgot to tell you it's $5 and has to be purchased when you buy your tickets :)

Chris: The rig:

Yes, this is my non-Mainstage rig

Yamaha MODX6

Roland DS-88

As I've mentioned in a thread about my MODX6 acquisition, to me it's like having Mainstage in a hardware board.

The large touch screen finally makes editing easy.

Live Set mode is wonderful, especially if we call audibles. No scrolling, just touch the song.

The SuperKnob really is cooler than people describe. It lets me do Mainstage type things, plus it is controllable by the FC7 pedal. The functions of all this are per program.

One of the songs, I have the Superknob programmed to raise the volume of one part while lowering the volume on the other. I programmed it so this is happens with only about 1/2 pedal throw. The rest of the throw opens up a filter on one of the parts for the sound that is raised.

As Joe saw/heard, all sound at this show were from the MODX6. The DS88 is simply a controller. (too much to type here, but the way the MODX is not really a workstation, accessing the 16 parts of a program can be interesting. The DS88 talks nicely to the MODX6).

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks for the rundown Dave! Very cool that the MODX contains all of the Journey patches. Were those hard to program?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Last time I saw them, Dave had his MainStage rig and showed me that. This time, he had that smaller rig and gave me a quick rundown before the show. It seems like a really nice setup. I dug the way the Superknob value can be controlled by the FC7.

BTW, I'm the guy on the left in the bottom pic.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for the rundown Dave! Very cool that the MODX contains all of the Journey patches. Were those hard to program?

Between the AWM engine , and the awesome FM engine, the MODX has great sonic ability.

Many great programs as starting points. The advent of the touch screen makes programming a breeze. Especially since I used to have the MOXF, I know Yamaha's way, so I know what to look for.

I also had a bunch of my old programs from the MOXF save, and the MODX reads them right in. Also, third party developers are coming up with good stuff as well.

I installed the Bosendorfer piano, that Yamaha currently gives you free when you buy a MODX or Montage. It pretty much is the basis for all my piano patches.

Further I use the John Melas software to help with programming. I used it a lot with the MOXF, and his MODX works just as well.

I'm happy, the band's happy, and it's such an easy rig to setup. Two MIDI DIN cables, then L+R out from the MODX to my Radial Pro D2 DI box, and I'm ready to go.

David

Thanks for that, David! Contemplating a MODX to add some of these great sounds to my arsenal, but never jived with Yamaha"s platform. Nice to know there is software available to help out.

- George Bernard Shaw

What camera did you use these are very beautiful images for interior lighting .....even cell phones nowadays.....amazing .....at least these look beautiful on my iPad Pro? That is very cool throwing in bits of other band tunes I would enjoy that it shows they could do anything if they didn"t choose Journey.

I believe Joe took these with his iPhone

Yep, just the iPhone XR. The band shots were taken with the back camera, and the shot of Dave and me was with the front (selfie) camera.

My kind of Club.

A balcony and lots of wood soaking up sound.

Cool pics

It's a cool venue.

https://www.doseydoe.com/big-barn

Unfortunately it's a bit out in the 'burbs so we don't get out there much, especially when the show is during the week. Fortunately Dave's show fell on a good night for us.

One time we went to a show out that way on a weekend and they closed the freeway getting back into town. :mad:

I describe to some as hav9ng a "Live From Darryl's House" kind of vibe, if you've ever watch that. Good people, good techs, good food, and a chill atmosphere of people who are there specifically to listen to you.

David

I describe to some as hav9ng a "Live From Darryl's House" kind of vibe, if you've ever watch that. Good people, good techs, good food, and a chill atmosphere of people who are there specifically to listen to you.

Tell 'em about the food, Dave. ;):whistle:

Good point about the LFDH vibe. I never thought about that even though I've watched that show from the beginning.

Never realized you play standing, I cannot do that.... The only way I'm comfortable playing standing is with my keytar.... Or during a synths solo to reach the 3rd keyboards and to be more into the Mod wheel and pith bend... I supposed, years of classical training with staring first with the "right position"....
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.