The Slow Lane #2998581 07/14/19 11:06 PM
G
GregC Online Content OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/the-slow-lanewav

I composed The Slow Lane over 1 year ago.

Its a retro, slow groove instrumental featuring piano and the
pedal steel guitar [ from Kronos].

The pedal steel program on the Kronos is a useable program- not easy
to find a decent pedal steel on a keyboard. I am 95% sure Motif/MODX does
not have it.

Thanks for the listen

Last edited by GregC; 07/15/19 05:17 PM.
KC Island
Re: The Slow Lane [Re: GregC] #2998630 07/15/19 01:27 PM
samuelblupowitz Offline
Even without the title, makes me think of late-70s Eagles. Maybe some Philly soul in there too. A nice chill way to start my morning, for sure.

Pedal steel is a sound I love, and something I've thought about trying to emulate with my Seaboard. Cool to incorporate it through the Kronos; I assume it's just pitch bend/mod wheel to get the slides and vibrato?

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: The Slow Lane [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2998672 07/15/19 05:16 PM
G
GregC Online Content OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
good to hear from you, Sam. Thanks for the listen and your feedback. I like your song writing.

The Kronos pedal steel is factory. Its not perfect, but is usable, and my joystick work is mostly getting by.
I also tried ribbon but experienced lack of accuracy/control.

I am most interested in Seaboard. Have you gotten good articulation with Roli driving your other midi keyboards ?

Or do you find their software to be a better way to go for articulation/audio ?

Re: The Slow Lane [Re: GregC] #2998799 07/16/19 02:02 PM
samuelblupowitz Offline
Thank you, Greg!

Roli's software is definitely the most intuitive and responsive when using the Seaboard; I do use it with some other software instruments with various levels of depth and success. Even VOLT for iOS, which was designed for the "5D" control that a Seaboard or a Linnstrument utilizes, isn't quite as naturally responsive as Equator (I've messed around with a few of the other Roli-sponsored softsynths like FXspansion but I mostly try to focus on developing my understanding of Equator, since I'm not a great synth programmer to begin with).

I keep missing the opportunity to try the Seaboard as a controller for other hardware sounds -- I was in a studio session where the leader really wanted me to try using it to control a Moog Voyager, but we didn't have the right adaptors to go USB-C into MIDI in, so I didn't get to see how that would work (if at all). I wound up using Moog's Model D app on my iPad (which I absolutely adore sonically, but gets a little unpredictable with the Seaboard sometimes, particularly with modulation behavior).

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara