Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes MK V 88 Prototype

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to buy a Rhodes Mark I Suitcase Rhodes back in the late Seventies when they were still available. To be perfectly honest, I didn't know about the forthcoming Mark II piano. Later, when one arrived at my local music dealer's shop, the owner's son (who was the resident technician) was NOT a happy camper. :wacko:

I can't compare to the Mark V to my Mark I, being there was only a Prototype of the Mark V. My question is, how can it be the "Best Rhodes ever made". Did famous Rhodes players go to the Rhodes factory to play it?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I can't compare to the Mark V to my Mark I, being there was only a Prototype of the Mark V. My question is, how can it be the "Best Rhodes ever made". Did famous Rhodes players go to the Rhodes factory to play it? Mike T.

They refer to the Rhodes MK V 73 model which was available at that time.

Only the 88 keys model is the one and only prototype.

The only 3 for the public unavailable and more advanced "prototypes" of the MK V 73 model were those offering MIDI,- and Chick Corea ownes one of these,- not to forget to mention his MK V was/is heavily modified anyway.

A.C.

OK, that makes sense. I never saw any Mark V Rhodes pianos anywhere. After I bought my Mk 1, made some mods, put a flat top on it, I was and still am very happy with my Rhodes.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I recently rediscovered a Mark V patch in my Kronos and have been getting a lot of mileage out of it lately. Dig the tone, and it seems to cut through the mix a little more than some of the other ones.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I recently rediscovered a Mark V patch in my Kronos and have been getting a lot of mileage out of it lately. Dig the tone, and it seems to cut through the mix a little more than some of the other ones.

Interesting ... I like and often use the Nord MK V sample for the same reasons. It has a nice bark too