Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are 98% of Music Promo Services Not Legit ?

Lots of spammers/scammers in Digital Music Land.

As an "Internet Musician " on Sound Cloud for a few years,

I get these wonderful 'offers' daily, promising to help my music promotion.

Unfortunately, they all look like pocket pickers. Their spam emails mostly

reveal how amateurish they are. Their sites are sketchy , slap together.

Which is a shame, because there is a need for a legit and helpful Promotion

Service. I would like to believe they are out there. I guess I have to find them.

Back in the days of covered wagons, I believed the reverse- they would find me,

then we would talk business.

I also suspect, that SoundCloud is not effective ? I am not sure if they cleanse their

site of scammers/spammers. Or even care.

Here is a blog that further warns musicians :

http://blog.sonicbids.com/7-red-flags-that-a-music-promotion-service-isnt-legit

7 Red Flags That a Music Promotion Service Isn't Legit:

[snip]

Almost every artist who approaches me has had one or more negative experiences with music promotion in the past, and this is largely due to the quick fix syndrome on behalf of both individuals who engage in the partnership.

First of all, there are the automated music marketing services who I tend to call the "internet cowboys."

They offer progress and lavish promises at the push of a button. Facebook likes? You got it. YouTube views? Not a problem.

Get your press release on the desks of thousands of journalists? They do that too.

The artists who tango with these folks also suffer from the quick fix syndrome.

Rather than build a team of people and gain fans organically one by one, they instead aim for the mountaintop,

neglecting to do the proper research or seek out the proof that Google can provide.

So what are some common warning signs to look out for when researching music promotion services?

These aren't hard and fast rules, but they're all serious things to keep an eye on:

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a hot topic.

Surprised there are no legid advices from the community, yet.

Surprised there are no legid advices from the community, yet.

While most discussion is about gear , cover tunes, etc, the business side is a big priority.

And music promotion is a major component. Sort of like the realtor looking for houses to list

and clients to buy them. Its difficult work and it takes a certain attitude.

Some of our keyboard folk are band leaders. BL's carry the water for promotion.

I think music promotion is a big job, for the musician with certain goals.

[70's Songwriter]

Of course those online promotion offers are all scams because nobody but a very few ever manage to accomplish anything with their online music. Look at the odds, hundreds of millions of songs on Soundcloud. Billions of music uploads on YouTube. From what I've managed to glean from reading lots of articles and watching YouTube vids about this is it boils down to you personally having a vibrant online presence by being very active on all of the social media platforms, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter all that stuff. You have to develop yourself as an online personality, develop a "friends" list and it's all those people who will start following you and buying your music. One story from some years ago was about a kid in a large church who is a very talented guitarist/vocalist and songwriter who taught himself to be a very good videographer and he started posting high level professional quality vids on YT. After a few years he's a big name now touring the world. It started with him belonging to a very large church so there's his start with all the social media stuff.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Of course those online promotion offers are all scams because nobody but a very few ever manage to accomplish anything with their online music. Look at the odds, hundreds of millions of songs on Soundcloud. Billions of music uploads on YouTube. From what I've managed to glean from reading lots of articles and watching YouTube vids about this is it boils down to you personally having a vibrant online presence by being very active on all of the social media platforms, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter all that stuff. You have to develop yourself as an online personality, develop a "friends" list and it's all those people who will start following you and buying your music. One story from some years ago was about a kid in a large church who is a very talented guitarist/vocalist and songwriter who taught himself to be a very good videographer and he started posting high level professional quality vids on YT. After a few years he's a big name now touring the world. It started with him belonging to a very large church so there's his start with all the social media stuff.

Bob

Bob, all this is true. Without a doubt, I am a tiny grain of sand on SoundCloud. There is tonnage of 'stuff' ' on SC with more new tonnage every day. No arguing the #'s.

The ' success ' stories on promotion are a template for what you stated, using all platforms and gaining popularity/momentum.

It appears being young [ +15 yrs old] and good looking etc etc is a plus. The demographic, 12 yrs old to the 20's has been audience for most promotional success stories.

I am not saying there are no exceptions. But I read the same stuff as you, and try to dope out the key elements on the success of a recording artist.

FYI, my topic has little to do with finances, or achieving song revenue. Its about solving the promotion puzzle of gaining a particular audience.

[70's Songwriter]