Print Thread
Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? #2998433 07/13/19 01:49 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
We get what my wife calls, "tomorrow's paper today", essentially all the Sunday inserts come in today's paper, including the Arts & Style section. There's an article about Jazz Guitarist Kenny Burrell, and the recent GoFundMe campaign. If you're at all interested, I suggest you look it up and give a read, it left me with far more questions than answers. Best I can say is that I don't know enough to form an opinion, but it gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

Kenny Burrell - Washington Post

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
GP Island
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998438 07/13/19 02:17 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Wow...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998448 07/13/19 03:27 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I can only send best wishes to Kenny Burrell and hope things work out for him and his wife...hard to tell from the article which way the rails are bent. cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998455 07/13/19 04:44 PM
Dannyalcatraz Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Getting old and having your health fail stinks. What was described in that article reeks.

I can’t tell if she’s guilty of elder abuse, etc., or if one or both of them are going coocoo, but there’s definitely more going on than they’re allowing the world to see.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2998457 07/13/19 04:57 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
[@Larryz & Dannyalcatraz - both of you echoed my thoughts, such as they are. Seems like a lot of weirdness, very little hard fact to go on, but I wouldn't want that to be my life.

There is the phenomenon known as folie-au-deux, a form of shared delusion. I imagine it's much more likely if one party is elderly, with declining mental faculties, and enmeshed in the more able-bodied partner's world-view, like the belief that they're both too sick to venture out, or have any unprotected contact with the outside world, because of some undefined immune disorder?

Scary, and sad . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998459 07/13/19 05:24 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I tried to look at it. I use an ad blocker, the site would not let me in to read the thing without disabling the ad blocker which I won't do.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998617 07/15/19 10:46 AM
S
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Very weird. And every attempt at explanation raises more questions than it answers. I hope he can return to action. I've worked with Kenny various times in the past at UCLA & he's a legend in the field. Doesn't sound good, though.

Scott Fraser
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998656 07/15/19 04:09 PM
J
jimmac Offline
J
Sad and confusing information. Respect the work of Kenny but this sounds like one or both are suffering from some dementia problems. Best wishes for them. Jim

Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998720 07/15/19 10:18 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Haven't yet read this but thanx, WPS.
Clearly there're deep probs when some one of that stature (& commercial recompense) still cannot afford adequate insurance----but y'know what ?
ME NEITHER !

I will look into the link but I suggest something that goes beyond what we might consider relevant here.
Recently, waiting in an ER, I overheard some facts from ETs.
For women, even in the USA, the highest cause of death is bleeding out during childbirth...& the primary cause is complacency & inattention by hospital staff.
If the point's not clear, that mean's they're aware of the problem but ignore the indicators when in actual action.

There are many things we might consider wrong on the world but protecting life should not be a problem at this stage of human evolution.

d=halfnote
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: d / halfnote] #2998769 07/16/19 08:43 AM
S
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted by d / halfnote
There are many things we might consider wrong on the world but protecting life should not be a problem at this stage of human evolution.

Right, shouldn't be a question even, yet for a certain percentage, the notion that we should, as a society, look after each other's well being is seen as an infringement upon their freedom to not give a s**t about anybody but themselves.

Scott Fraser
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Scott Fraser] #2998843 07/16/19 06:32 PM
surfergirl Offline
I saw a thing on the news a while ago about groups people taking buses to Canada to buy insulin that was $30. The same drug was something like $400. in the U.S. It's criminal.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/insulin-caravan-battling-high-drug-prices-in-the-us-diabetes/

Last edited by surfergirl; 07/16/19 06:46 PM.

Jenny S.
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Scott Fraser] #2998845 07/16/19 06:39 PM
Dannyalcatraz Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Scott Fraser
Originally Posted by d / halfnote

Right, shouldn't be a question even, yet for a certain percentage, the notion that we should, as a society, look after each other's well being is seen as an infringement upon their freedom to not give a s**t about anybody but themselves.

Protecting the lives of others is not a universally held value, and trying to enshrine it in our laws and culture IS an infringement upon people’s freedom to not give a s**t about anybody but themselves.

Fortunately, the “enshriners” currently outnumber the “non-s**t givers” in most cultures. OTOH, the latter often still have a bit more $$$ and political connections than the former, on average.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2998866 07/16/19 08:25 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz

Fortunately, the “enshriners” currently outnumber the “non-s**t givers” in most cultures. OTOH, the latter often still have a bit more $$$ and political connections than the former, on average.

When the money grubbers sell their souls for money, that takes their soulfulness away, and gives money grubbing priority over the health of the Earth, over the health of other humans, and the health of other species. In other words sub human........

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Wash. Post article on Kenny Burrell? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2999167 07/18/19 06:30 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D

d=halfnote

Moderated by  Bluesape, myles_rose