Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick and Hiromi

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I needed that... Mind you, I didn't know I needed it until I heard it, but that was just the thing to settle my mood and ground me after a sometimes difficult day.

Hiromi is adorable and I love the way she maintains eye contact with Chick throughout, almost as though she's flirting with him (set age differences and the fact that he's married aside for the moment). Chick? Well, I mean he's Chick, ya know? The thing that I find fascinating is that he remains, 45 years after I first saw him, an incredible player. Age doesn't seem to have affected his playing a bit.

There was a point in there, about a third of the way in, where I swear I more than half-expected Chick to reach over and unleash a riff or two on a Moog. Then he filled in with something completely different than what I had thought of, and it was better anyway, and that's why he's Chick and I'm just a wannabe keyboard player in the hinterlands. Maybe I should just go back to stringed instruments...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Ears... Technique.... Taste...

But I keep coming back to ears. Whenever I see a duet of this type (Chick and Herbie, I once saw Eric Reed and Cyrus Chestnut in duet) I get reminded how just being able to hear, to know what the other player is playing so you can support it, compliment it... is so important. Not having anywhere near perfect pitch I marvel at their connection. Simply amazing, and wonderful.

Thanks.

Jerry

Just incredible! It"s cool how the two pianos are voiced differently. Hiromi"s a bit brighter and lively while Chick"s is a tad on the mellow side and seasoned sounding. Or it could just be the miking and EQ. Either way, what an uplifting performance.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am