Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Most Hysterical Movie of All Time

[video:youtube]

The Coneheads were a sketch on the Saturday Night Live television show of the late '70s which were expanded to feature-length proportions with this film.

The story concerns Beldar (Dan Aykroyd) and Prymaat (Jane Curtin), who leave the planet Remulak to prepare for an invasion of ....

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny movie for sure. Most hysterical ever?

Paging Mr Python......Mr Monty Python......

I know, forum favorite, etc. I counter trend on the crowd

[70's Songwriter]

Surely, you can't be serious?

I am serious, and quit calling me Shirley

you are welcome to state your hysterical favorite.

[70's Songwriter]

Most anything with Peter Sellers. Comic genius.

Followed by Life of Brian, Airplane, Young Frankenstein, etc.

a worthy list . can you be more specific with Mr Sellers ?

[70's Songwriter]

Hard to say. I used to think Blazing Saddles, Monty Python films, etc. set standards never to be equaled... until I saw Big Lebowski.

The first half of Office Space is brilliant.

I agree its hard to pick. Blazing is near the top.

[70's Songwriter]

Funniest Mel Brooks film: The Producers

Funniest Peter Sellers film: Dr. Strangelove

Funniest film with a Cat Stevens soundtrack: Harold and Maude

Dark Boomer era stuff, but theyre still worth a look.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Hard to be specific, but loved his character in Being There. Maybe not so much hysterical, more so brilliantly understated comedy?

Also Dr Strangelove and A Shot In the Dark. Really anyhing Sellers.

Has anybody mentioned Spinal Tap?

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Hard to be specific, but loved his character in Being There. Maybe not so much hysterical, more so brilliantly understated comedy?

Also Dr Strangelove and A Shot In the Dark. Really anyhing Sellers.

Has anybody mentioned Spinal Tap?

There are different kinds of humor. I think Sellers is more cerebral ?

Rodney Dangerfield is close to slapstick, comedian riffs.

I chose Coneheads as 'most hysterical ' because of the numerous guffaws and chuckles on the lines.

I think the terminology and delivery by Akroyd and Curtain is totally creative. The various scenes

are set up as they try to ' normalize ' into our society are very funny.

The SNL cast from the 80's and early 90's is well represented. It was SNL's golden era.

I know the movie is 'old' 1993, but good comedy is timeless.

[70's Songwriter]

Rodney Dangerfield is close to slapstick...

...The SNL cast from the 80's and early 90's is well represented. It was SNL's golden era.

Agreed, Rodneys a riot. Loved his character in Caddyshack!

And SNL is funny again. Pete Davidson, as awkward as he seems sometimes, really cracks me up! His take on Kevin Love having a panic attack was pure comedy gold.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I remember my brother renting this movie back in the day. Didn't do it for me.

Not to mention that we're missing all the other most hysterical movies of all time from other languages... (Astérix et Obélix: Mission Cléopatre, Le dîner des cons, etc)

Cleopatra is hysterical ? I did not know that.

I am glad you bring in a non US view. We don't know what we don't know.

[70's Songwriter]

I put "Hot Fuzz" up there with the best of them. It's possibly my favorite today. But I'm a HUGE Lebowski fan, so that's a tough call. "Brother Where Art Thou?" is also another rival for Lebowski. "Blazing Saddles" was my favorite as a kid, and is still one of my favorites today. All are perfect 10s in my book, and are all very different. Some others are Monty Python, Doctor Strangelove, Blues Brothers.

I should also note that there's a big difference between "best comedy" and "most hysterical". I notice that many of my favorite comedies only produce a few guffaws, but are just exceedingly fun, witty, and enjoyable throughout.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Dark horse candidate: J Men Forever by Peter Bergman and Phil Proctor. These guys took all the Republic Studio serials of the 40s and changed the storylines completely. The Earth is under attack by Rock and Roll music masterminded by the Lightning Bug, whos based on the moon. They wrote a script that almost totally matches the original mouth movements, and threw in music by Billy Preston, The Tubes, etc., and its become a cult classic.

I first saw this after coming home from a gig and watching Night Flight. I caught it in the middle and couldnt comprehend the storyline. 2:30 am I got a call from my drummer asking me to turn on the TV. I told him I was already watching it. Its been a favorite ever since, and my kids and I basically communicate by using punchlines from the movie.

Youll have to see it a few times to catch all the asides and throwaway lines, but its worth the time spent.

Wonder where my screen name came from?

A Synopsis: J Men

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This is Spinal Tap,,,

One thing pointed out to me recently is that as funny as Spinal Tap is to musicians, it loses its appeal fairly severely among people who have never played in a band or have much knowledge of hard rock bands. Also, the last 1/3rd is kind of an awkward downward spiral that leaves you feeling kinda ill. I love the movie, I think it's brilliant, but it's it's own breed unlike many of the others on this list.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

My favorite moment from "Spinal Tap" is where they are put in the "Where are they now file" by the local radio station in a small town where there is not much going on that night

except for Spinal Tap playing a concert *in that town* - an event to which the local radio station seems oblivious:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwdtU6elao

I remember when I saw the first Police Squad! movie when I was in college. I was laughing so hard and much that people who knew me started to worry if I would be okay. :roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I remember watching the original TV episode of Police Squad! and laughing hysterically at the ending freeze frame as the credits rolled. Brilliant.

I guess if hysterical is the benchmark in this thread (and if television is allowed) I submit all six episodes of Pollice Squad! In Color.

Not the funniest , but amusing:

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."