Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2996535 06/29/19 01:43 AM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Just found out about this Talent Substitute Box...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
GP Island
Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2996549 06/29/19 06:48 AM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
Just found out about this Talent Substitute Box...

Stay in school...

Or you'll probably disintegrate, just sayin'.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2996550 06/29/19 06:49 AM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
(Hmmmm.... Unexpected double-post.... )

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2996566 06/29/19 12:43 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
The Harmonic Antagonizer is like a stripped-down version of this; Fuzz + Oscillator, in an MXR-sized box.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998156 07/11/19 01:11 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
This one might have shown up in the original "Cool New Effects" thread, but it's worth reviewing.

I saw one of these at my FLUMS, but passed on it because I didn't need or want all the functions, and the price wasn't quite right. Still, it's an impressive bit of gear, and if you wanted all the features in one compact box, it's hard to beat: Flanger, Pitch-Shifter, Filter, Bit Crusher, Ring Mod, Notch Filter, Glitch Delay, & Infinite Reverb. Of course, you can't have them all at once . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998193 07/11/19 05:21 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Winston Psmith
This one might have shown up in the original "Cool New Effects" thread, but it's worth reviewing.

I saw one of these at my FLUMS, but passed on it because I didn't need or want all the functions, and the price wasn't quite right. Still, it's an impressive bit of gear, and if you wanted all the features in one compact box, it's hard to beat: Flanger, Pitch-Shifter, Filter, Bit Crusher, Ring Mod, Notch Filter, Glitch Delay, & Infinite Reverb. Of course, you can't have them all at once . . .

Mmmmm, I like the ring-mod and wonky tremolo effects...

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2998207 07/11/19 07:29 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
@Caevan - Believe me, I was sorely tempted, but even used, these things go for around $250US. That same money would get me two other pedals I've been looking for, one of which is this little monstrosity - I ordered one today, $99.99

Forget the hype about "Analog Bit Crusher" - there ain't no such animal. It's a glorified Ring Modulator, with a Gain circuit added, just in case an ordinary Ring Mod wasn't loud and obnoxious enough on its own. It is very close to the Pixelator sounds in the long-discontinued, and sought-after, Digitech Space Station. (I have mine, find your own!) The Heliotrope is also discontinued, but they're not hard to find. Used ones go from around $100 up to around $150, and there are even a few NOS ones sitting out there for $150-175.

FWIW, I had a Heliotrope a while back, but got rid of it in the last great Pedal Purge, when I was switching over to MFX. I thought I was looking for a more sophisticated sound palette at the time; clearly, my tastes have degenerated. I can't wait to hear it through the Charlie Foxtrot.

Last edited by Winston Psmith; 07/11/19 09:01 PM.

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998212 07/11/19 07:46 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
I probably shared this one in the old thread, but it's also worth re-viewing. Malekko makes some very cool gear, with some very minimalist instruction Manuals. Sadly, it makes their most interesting gear challenging, and for some users, frustrating. For some reason, their own in-house demo videos don't really show off their products very well, either? Must be an engineer thing.

I have three of their pedals in the 21st Century Pedalboard, (Sneak Attack, Charlie Foxtrot & 616 Analog Delay) and I'm holding a space for this one.

Setting up the signal chain with a bunch of Anarchy Boxes is more fun than the law allows in some states . . .

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998218 07/11/19 08:44 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
Last bit of fun for today . . . One thing I've been looking for is a mid-gain OD. The Messner is good for just a bit of Drive, unless you're running it into an Amp near breakup, which I don't. It's more Boost than OD, for my purposes, but I like it very much for my work with Novparolo.

OTOH, I want something with a little more bite to it, and this thing called to me, on so many levels! Parked right between the Messner and the Iron Bell, I could see doing some serious damage with it.

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Winston Psmith] #2998361 07/12/19 07:22 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Winston Psmith
OTOH, I want something with a little more bite to it, and this thing called to me, on so many levels! Parked right between the Messner and the Iron Bell, I could see doing some serious damage with it.

Nice! I've found that I tend to like "asymmetrical clipping" in dirt pedals when the option is available, and this holds true here as this sound from the WA Wh pleases me.

Now, before I even saw your post above, one of the ideas I came here today to post about was that the 2B that I've had so much good to say about makes a FANTASTIC boost for kicking up an overdrive or distortion (or even fuzz, depending on said fuzz's compatibility with other pedals in front of it). That's one of the biggest reasons for its inclusion in the F-D 3, it adds a wonderful gain/lead boost option. I'm sure that it'd go wonderfully well with the Warhorn- and the Messner, and...

So, if you add a 2B to your line-up, especially if you run it on 18v, it instantly makes your other drive pedals more versatile yet- and very cost-effectively, to boot. It effectively makes all of your drive-pedals "duplicate effects". For being a small pedal with two knobs, it's a VERY versatile and useful tool. I'll tellya, the combination of its Gain (volume) and Dynamics (Germanium Limiter) allow you to dial-in the perfect level of dirt-boosting gain and subtly squishy limiting WITHOUT messing up your attack and tone the way a compressor sometimes can. Add adjustments of your guitar's volume-knob and your "touch" and you've got all manner of tweakability at your command.

Re: Cool not-so-new effects? [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2998980 07/17/19 02:31 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
@Caevan - I did a quick search on GC Used Gear listings, and there were pages of Full-Drive 2's & OCD's, with GT-500's coming up close behind. Maybe one 2B (or not 2B?) in the listings. My FLUMS has two Full-Drive 2's on hand, so I can check them out when I go to check out the Warhorn.

In the meantime, it's too hot to do much of anything outdoors today - 90+, feels like 100 or so (that's around 37-38 C, for friends overseas) - and my Heliotrope arrived last night, so that's my day, sitting indoors, making noise.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bluesape, myles_rose