Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iPad only setup working nicely!

Been getting a new rig setup using only the iPad and a controller keyboard and so far so good.

Using the Studiologic SL88 Studio into iRig MIDI 2 interface and then into iPad. Software so far is Camelot Pro, Ravenscroft 275, Neosoul Keys, Galileo Organ and iFretless Bass.

I have been reading about issues with Ravenscroft and sample rate issues when used in Camelot, but the splits i have setup so far are all playing nicely!

Just using the headphones jack for audio out and for F.O.H. purposes it sounds pretty damn good really. My iPad Pro 12 was the last model before it lost the headphone jack. Seems to have plenty of capacity in both RAM and storage even with all of the plugs running.

Anyhoo just a heads-up thread to say it can be done.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is excellent news, miden!! Thank you!

I'm running Ravenscroft, NeoSoul, iFretless, iSymphonic and Soft Drummer in AUM but very glad Camelot got it together. I may reinstall it to see what's what.

Just sold my SL88 Studio, today ordered an Arturia Keylab MKii 88 (expect them to land in Canada by month-end). Decided I can live with the TP100/LR but need more onboard controls, and didn't want to mess with another peripheral in a MixFace.

Thanks to Rob & David for their opinions on other controllers I was considering.

Here for the gear.

Cool! Glad it helped someone. The Arturia was up there with the SL88, but I went with the SL because of the Mixface controller, only to find out later that the Oz distributor is not likely to bring them in. So I may even go back to an Arturia. As you say it has the TP100/LR which is quite a nice keybed to play.

I have yet to load up Soft Drummer yet, but it is an app I also own and can highly recommend!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Been getting a new rig setup using only the iPad and a controller keyboard and so far so good.

Using the Studiologic SL88 Studio into iRig MIDI 2 interface and then into iPad. Software so far is Camelot Pro, Ravenscroft 275, Neosoul Keys, Galileo Organ and iFretless Bass.

I have been reading about issues with Ravenscroft and sample rate issues when used in Camelot, but the splits i have setup so far are all playing nicely!

Just using the headphones jack for audio out and for F.O.H. purposes it sounds pretty damn good really. My iPad Pro 12 was the last model before it lost the headphone jack. Seems to have plenty of capacity in both RAM and storage even with all of the plugs running.

Anyhoo just a heads-up thread to say it can be done.

Glad to hear of people using an iPad run setup!

Hadn't heard of the iRig MIDI 2 interface- looks like it's a simple in from the ipad, with in/out/thru MIDI sockets. Have you tried the Korg PlugKey? I really like it- besides providing stereo 1/4" outs and an 1/8th" out, so no need to use the iPad audio out- in addition to that it has a volume control for the audio outs- fantastic!

But the big question is how well Camelot it working and what the process was to get it working correctly. Slam dunk? I've used AUM and Audiobus 3, with mixed results, never advanced to the point where I could control the sounds as desired. It's an inscrutable mess in my head how a person controls the sounds from these various apps so you can have something as simple as independent volume control for 4 of these apps at a time, and decide which of the 4 gets pitchbend, for example. Audiobus 3 has the volume sliders for each of the instruments, but couldn't get the app to run all my apps glitch free, and zone my keyboard to send the lower registers separate from the higher.

Sounds like we have the same iPad apps- they're great! I highly recommend Syntronik as well.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Randelph, AUM has MIDI CC learn within every channel... volume, effects, any parameter can be mapped. Plus there are plugins for EQ, Filters, Stereo placement, and third party apps that run inside it flawlessly. Save any setup. And AUM supports IAA (while it appears from Camelot's updates they still haven't worked that out). Have you read the AUM manual?

Here for the gear.

@ Drawback- haven't read the full manual of AUM. I have more experience with Audiobus 3, and when I encountered numerous glitches with it, I picked up AUM, which I'm at beginning stages with. Am never sure which standard, AU 3 or IAA is the one to use, had more luck with IAA within Audiobus 3.

I suppose I need a proper controller keyboard in order to map volume etc. to my keyboard controls. Have considered going the controller keyboard running apps route, but am not sure which keyboard would work well. I really dislike the iRig Keys 49, the action towards the fallboard is just terrible, I hate the cryptic 3 LED display, the touch controls are less than ideal, etc. At the moment I'm using a Nord Stage Classic. I'm hoping that Camelot or some program out there will work as advertised with few glitches. It seems hit or miss on which apps will work as intended.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

IAA (Inter-App Audio) will load inside hosts like Audiobus and AUM. While you can play them from a MIDI keyboard, you can't do any deep editing to their inherent sound. AUv3 (Audio Units) are very editable (good example is Neo Soul Keys).

As I've said before, I really really really like AUM. It works for me on many levels! But my advice to Randelph would be to give Camelot a go then you'll be forced to use AUv3 while you will learn to modify and control them, you'll see pretty quickly the limitations of IAA (good news recently about Apple dropping this).

Camelot is very well laid out visually you can see what's going on instantly and make changes without diving too deeply and very easy to work your way back out of a problem. Great place to start.

Here for the gear.

My Roland Duo Capture EX has served well as a combo audio interface + MIDI interface, but I've been thinking of getting a Roland Go Mixer Pro, which allows simultaneous video and audio recording when used with an iOS device.

Thus I might get an iRig MIDI 2 myself, for MIDI duties. IOS apparently does not allow more than one audio interface to be used at a time - ie no aggregation like on desktop Macs and Macbooks.

Have you tried the Korg PlugKey? I really like it- besides providing stereo 1/4" outs and an 1/8th" out, so no need to use the iPad audio out- in addition to that it has a volume control for the audio outs- fantastic!

It's a really nice piece. The one limitation to be aware of is that it lacks a MIDI Out, so unlike some other interfaces, it doesn't let you use the iPad to send Program Changes to external hardware. But if you have a soundless controller as being discussed here (and no other external hardware modules), it's not so much of an issue.

It's an inscrutable mess in my head how a person controls the sounds from these various apps so you can have something as simple as independent volume control for 4 of these apps at a time

If your controller does not have assignable faders for that, you can add something like a Korg NanoKontrol. But once you are attaching multiple devices to the iPad, you need to look at some way to attach them all, like a USB hub.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah the iRIg MIDI 2 has an out AND a separate hardware Thru - which is a very handy combination :)

Yeah the iRIg MIDI 2 has an out AND a separate hardware Thru - which is a very handy combination :)

I agree. My current iPad MIDI interface is a Roland Duo Capture EX... which does not have MIDI Thru. Yet another reason to get an iRig MIDI 2.

Then I can use my trusty Korg Monologue as both controller and sound source for sequencing, with the Thru jack on the iRig MIDI 2 controlling my Empress Zoia.

The Zoia is marketed as a modular FX unit in a pedal, but one of its secrets is that it can also run up to 4-voice polyphonic synth patches, preferably controlled by MIDI, though its possible to set up the onboard buttons like a "keyboard" of sorts.