Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Module with decent pads and strings

I did a lot of sysex mangling with both a PC1600 and my JV1010 back in the day. I don't know about other Roland boxes or keyboards, but the 1010's documentation lists no NRPNs, just the standard three RPNs (Pitch Bend Sensitivity, Channel Fine Tune, Channel Coarse Tune). This is a little odd because the midi implementation chart shows the 1010 as receiving NRPN CCs (98 & 99), there's just no mention in the manual of any parameter being assigned to a NRPN.

I agree the the midi implementation of these old Rolands is very good, but you really need plain 'ole sysex for real editing setting key ranges for example. Control changes by themselves do a surpising number of things on the 1010 but those parameters are more for shaping the sound, not programming or editing on the patch level.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use NRPN's to control filter cutoff, resonance, attack and release of filter and amp, stuff like that. There should be a chart in the back of the manual that shows what values of CC# 98 and 99 select the parameter to be edited, after which point, CC# 6 modifies the value. I used to do sequenced filter sweeps that way by selecting filter cutoff with 98&99 and then sequencing CC#6 using a fader to enter the data, which could then be shaped. Caveat is that you can only edit one parameter at a time unless you continuously send different values of 98&99 along with 6.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Maybe some Rolands but apparently not the JV1010. The midi implementation chart shows a lot of parameters that can be directly controlled by CCs and as I said. it does show that NRPNs are received but nowhere in the manual is any other mention made of NRPNs.

Anyway, probably a moot point and not germane to this thread but I was curious about it. For s&g I put the JV1010's midi implementation on an image hosting site if anyone wants to try and decipher this.

JV1010-MIC.jpg

I looked up the JV-1010 manual, and although it makes lots of references to NRPN's and what happens to their values in certain instances, it sure enough does not actually list the values and corresponding parameters. I worked with lots of different Roland modules and keyboards of that era, and my experience is that any of them that included the Roland GS sound set responded exactly the same to CC's, RPN's, and NRPN's. One caveat MAY be that it would need to be in GS mode (which the 1010 has) but I don't know that. I triggered other modules that were NOT in GS mode that responded the same way, though would end up sounding different.

Following is the NRPN list that applies to Roland GS sound sets:

http://www.ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/NRPN.jpg

Of course, then you have to know that MSB is CC#99, LSB is CC#98, data is CC#6 and convert from HEX to Decimal.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If I get a second I'll dig my 1010 out of the accessory case it's been in for years, and see if any of these NRPNs do anything. It would be nice to make sure it still works and my performance patches are intact. As I said it was my "emergency" module in case the laptop went down. I used it once on a wedding gig years ago when I left my backpack with the laptop home! :laugh:

Korg Plug $85

Korg Module for iPad currently $40 but can be found on sale.

Apple camera adapter, $30

Midi cable $4.

Combine these with your iPad and you have a very usable and infinitely expandable solution. There are plenty of other apps that are cheaper than the Korg module as well.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a JV and the software, but no Windows boxes left that are old enough to run it on. I had no luck with Windows 7.

If you have an iPad, there is a program called Patch Base that has editors for many vintage synths, including the Roland JV series. I used it with my DX7-IIFD, SQ-80 and JV-1080 before I sold them. The program is free and you can buy editors for individual instruments or buy access to all editors. You can try each editor before you buy it.

Patch Base - iPad Editor

Great to know, thanks! I'll check it out.

To follow up, I dug my module out and it's actually an XV-2020, so a bit more modern. Still need to find an iPad laying around that is suitable to download Patch Base. What midi interface are people using?

Moe

---

I've got a church gig these days where I am playing my Korg CX-3 to accompany a piano player who leads all the songs. I'm pretty sure the Korg has midi functionality to add a small module where I can alternate between organ and other backfill sounds like pads or strings. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution, maybe something used I can pick up on Ebay. Remember the Emu Proteus? Something like that .... looking for suggestions.
You have a CX-3 and you want other sounds?? Dude, that thing is sex on wheels!! Nothing rocks like a CX-3 :)

Seriously though, I'm glad to see all the helpful suggestions here. Me, I just throw the MX61 on top of the CX-3, drop both through a Yamaha mixer and I'm good ... not J.Dan good, admittedly, but good enough for Sunday :)

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!