Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hardware sequencer

wondering if there is any hardware sequencers, that is reasonably priced available for purchase. I want to stay away from sequencing on a DAW on a computer. all I want to do is lay down some tracks from my keyboards. loop the sequence, edit it, etc. and then save it for future recall.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old used AKAI MPC ???

A.C.

Good start, but buying old used gear often leads to a trail of woes. An Alesis MMT-8 is a brute force approach whose days are numbered. Same with the Roland MC line; I loved my MC-500, but still, yikes. Cassette storage is like opening your wrists with a butter knife. The Akai Professional MPC Studio retails at $399. It does feature some nice DAW connectivity, but its basically a stand-alone instrument with a 9 GB library. You'd have to read up on its editing capabilities, but if it has the means you need most, that $399 could be a bargain when stacked up against a $200 vintage box that'll need $500 worth of repairs. It'll be hard to find a hardware sequencer that isn't spliced onto a workstation or analog beastie. You will have a very hard time finding decent blank floppies in a USB flash drive/SD card world. The storage media issues can turn old gear into a lovely piece of pop art for your wall.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Old used AKAI MPC ???

A.C.

The Akai Professional MPC Studio retails at $399. It does feature some nice DAW connectivity, but its basically a stand-alone instrument with a 9 GB library. You'd have to read up on its editing capabilities, but if it has the means you need most, that $399 could be a bargain when stacked up against a $200 vintage box that'll need $500 worth of repairs.

This is probably the best modern solution. I watched a guy use one who knew his way around it and it's impressive. I did love my MMT-8/Data Disk, though.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

The Akai Professional MPC Studio retails at $399. It does feature some nice DAW connectivity, but its basically a stand-alone instrument with a 9 GB library. You'd have to read up on its editing capabilities, but if it has the means you need most, that $399 could be a bargain when stacked up against a $200 vintage box that'll need $500 worth of repairs.

This is probably the best modern solution.

agree with Ken here.

:nopity:

If you can find a Yamaha QX series, any of them, or the Roland MC500MkII.

I still use a battery powered QX when I play my Accordion gigs.

I wear a pair of Bluetooth monitors the QX and my Accrdion.

Just simple Kick Drum Tuba and Mariachi Horns when I go from Italian, to Polkas to Ranchero.

Right across from the State Capital.

Walk around and take requests and rake in more tips than I make a week hauling my rig around.

Its only a few times a year but the QX series have made me bank for 35 years now.

The QX-1 was where it all started.

50 bucks used last time I looked.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Ya. I was saying. You can ditch the floppy drive on the MC-500. There are USB port drive emulators. Save/load your sequences on a thumb drive. They work on Akai samplers too. Awesome.

THESE work in almost everything,-

even in a old

... (which I still own in original working condition).

A.C.

Ya. I was saying. You can ditch the floppy drive on the MC-500. There are USB port drive emulators. Save/load your sequences on a thumb drive. They work on Akai samplers too. Awesome.

THESE work in almost everything,-

even in a old

... (which I still own in original working condition).

A.C.

Love these kinds of mods keeping gear useful and relevant and out of the junkyard.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Maybe get an iPad and run a basic sequencer on that? Pretty simple interface.

OK, not hardware but usually simple to use.

I started learning how to use Xequence 2, one of the few linear sequencers available for IOS. Most IOS sequencers are pattern-oriented, and so don't work well with the "just record whatever I play until I press stop" workflow. UI and workflow looks quite nice so far. It has a resolution of 16384 PPQ.

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/why/