Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A bit of weird...

WTF?

https://www.occhineriguitars.com/

vs

http://occhinericustomguitars.com/

Originally, the first web address was the legit home for the latter company. Dont know the details of what happened, but...

What I cannot figure out is why a company with absolutely no visible connection to guitars or music would want that web address.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually what happens (this happened to me) is that somebody accidently allows their domain name to expire and there are opportunistic companies who snag them up, thinking somebody will pay a bunch of money to buy them back.

My last name is Elze and a long time ago I bought the domain elzeonline.com. Didn't have much on there except links to my band websites, used it to host images and other files, but mostly just used the email address. Let it lapse probably 10-12 years ago and it's still for sale by the assholes who snagged it up:

www.elzeonline.com

Asking $3895 for it. Obviously not worth anything to anybody but me, so there it sits.

Why would another legitimate company use something like that for their domain? To bring traffic to their site. The domain probably had enough traffic that they think a lot of people will mistakenly hit their page, see something they like, and buy it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Usually what happens (this happened to me) is that somebody accidently allows their domain name to expire and there are opportunistic companies who snag them up, thinking somebody will pay a bunch of money to buy them back.

My last name is Elze and a long time ago I bought the domain elzeonline.com. Didn't have much on there except links to my band websites, used it to host images and other files, but mostly just used the email address. Let it lapse probably 10-12 years ago and it's still for sale by the assholes who snagged it up www.elzeonline.com Asking $3895 for it. Obviously not worth anything to anybody but me, so there it sits. Why would another legitimate company use something like that for their domain? To bring traffic to their site. The domain probably had enough traffic that they think a lot of people will mistakenly hit their page, see something they like, and buy it.

They sure have a lot of patience. +1 on not buying it back however, if you need a website you could probably configure your name into another thing by adding a word or two, and get it for cheap.....