Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any one play a CF Series Yamaha Grand

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I was just wondering. I think the Bosendorfer 280 and Fazioli are way beyond most people's reach. Steinway's are so different. They have a ton of them in the music school I go to Dave and the actions all kind of suck I think....at least the ones I take lessons on. Maybe if I had grown up playing but both I play at lessons are dark and don't sound that engaging if that makes sense. My piano tuner is a Yamaha fan also.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yes true. They have a couple Model D's that have had to had extensive work to bring them back. It's really expensive also.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

When I bought my N2 Avant Grand at Cunningham Piano in King of Prussia, PA, I saw they had a CFX there. It gets used at the Academy of Music. I was looking at it in awe, and Rich Galassini said go ahead and play it. It was an amazing piano in terms of tone and feel. Best piano I have ever played, and I have played a few Steinway Model D, although mostly in college practice rooms, so they were pretty trashed in terms of action. Hope to play a good Steinway D one day. I play on my teacher's Steinway Model B at my lessons.

Had a thread on this last year. I got to go down and play the CFX at SDSU.

Here's a recording

I thought the instrument was pretty fantastic even though it wasn't fully set up and tuned when I got to take it for a spin. I would love to have another crack at it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

C7X is "life goals" for me. Every time i go play it at a local studio i have day/night dreams about it for the entire following week.

I hear ya. Probably the best piano I've gotten to play (and I've played a few Hamburg Steinways, they were amazing too of course). I've been to the Honolulu Blue Note twice; they have a C7X. The first time, Chick had just been there and it had been regulated & tuned for him. What an incredible experience. The manager said the piano had been "rebuilt" for him but I think they mis-spoke, it was less than a year old at that time! I was also told that the club had wanted a 9-footer but Yamaha sent them this one, and they were surprised that it cost more than the 9'. I told them they got a better piano for a jazz club. This past Dec. I was back but Chick had not been there recently so the piano was not in tip-top shape, though still fun to play. Every morning after breakfast, while some of my bandmates were on the beach or taking day trips to explore O'ahu, I snuck into the empty club and availed myself of this instrument.

IMG-3616small.jpg

Yes, and I should mention that a lot of the amazing experience I had (the first time, after Chick was there) was due to the regulation I don't think I've ever played a quality piano that had been so recently worked on like that. The keybed's response was buttery-smooth and even all the way across, and this very much enhanced the playing experience, even more than the fact it was in such good tune. The action was light but firm, and it was so easy to make the piano "sing." Last year, our second time there, I immediately felt the difference when I started playing the piano may have been tuned between my two visits but the action was just not where it was that first time. Unfortunately our band did not do great ticket sales so we have been relegated to "every other year" in Honolulu instead of every year. Here's hoping Chick gets a gig there around November 2020! :)