Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have You Ever Watched Forbidden Planet?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched it many times. A Classic with a surprise ending!

Too bad we can't LIKE a POST without logging into FACEBOOK. I disabled Facebook long ago for very good reasons. NO FACEBOOK!

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Too bad we can't LIKE a POST without logging into FACEBOOK. I disabled Facebook long ago for very good reasons. NO FACEBOOK!

forget FakeBook.

I {{heart }}. Anne Francis. See Honey West.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Absolutely love it. This is true sci-fi to me, huge ideas on a grand scale. Yes, it's a bit dated with complete lack of diversity and the only woman is nothing but a love interest--but hey it was the 50s!

I've heard it was on tap for a "reboot"--hopefully they stick with what made this one great and don't add a bunch of additional conflict that isn't needed (*cough* Peter Jackson *cough*) , maybe make the daughter a real person and not just a prize for the captain.

Speaking of sci-fi reboots, Dune is being made by Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Arrival among others). Dune the novel might be unfilmable...but Denis is the best hope for it IMO. The cast is pretty stellar so far. Comes out in Nov 2020, the first movie will be half the novel.

Have the DVD and the Soundtrack and enjoy them both periodically.

Favorite SF movie? Hmm. There are so many and even genres within the SciFi genre itself.

Hard to hold it up to 2001 A Space Odyssey on one hand and I wouldn't compare it to "Spaceballs" on the other.

But, for general SciFi movies that have stood the test of time, Forbidden Planet ranks in the top 5 for certain.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

One of the very first electronic movie scores, if not the first. Apparently they used some sort of custom oscillators,
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

One of the very first electronic movie scores, if not the first. Apparently they used some sort of custom oscillators,

I believe the Novachord beat 'em by over a decade.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I remember Forbidden Planet scaring the sh#t out of me as a young boy when it came out. I didn't know anything about id, just that there was a monster loose killing and everyone in sight! Kind of silly watching it today (and it was recently on a classic movie channel) - but when you're six years old and not exposed to what kids are nowadays, this was pretty intense stuff.

Can't say this movie has worn all that well with me. It's quaint (the way most movies from the 1950s are) and endearing, but also stiff and rather silly. Lots of remake potential though. I'll probably pay to watch a remake.

One of the greatest science fiction movies ever. It holds up very well. The soundtrack music was often imitated but never equalled. Also, by all reports Anne Francis was a genuine sweetheart of a person as well as being singularly gorgeous. Love this movie. This and The Day The Earth Stood Still introduced me to the genre in the fifties and it's been mostly downhill since,although I do still enjoy really cheesy 50's and 60's science fiction. The Brain From Planet Arous anyone?

Several years ago there was a dead on full sized replica of Robby the robot in FAO Schwartz in N.Y.C. $10,000. I don't think it did much of anything but had I been a man of great means it would be in my home now. There was a guy making them with increasingly expensive options. Don't know if he's still in business. And yes,I have dealt with many guitarists and front people who were real life "monsters from the id."

forget FakeBook.

I {{heart }}. Anne Francis. See Honey West.

I did. They suspended me for 12 hours because they said I violated one of their rules. I did not swear, but I know they did not care for my politcal views.

As soon as I got Suspended, I Deactivated my Account. When doing so, Facebook gave me an "Exit Poll" to answer as to WHY I deactived my account. I gave them BOTH BARRELS. I can't repeat what I told them here, but I bet their false teeth were rattling if/when they read my reply. No More Facebook for me. Ever.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

One of my all-time favorite flics. The score, the story, and Anne Francis - all great.

I own only two DVDs (non-music) - Forbidden Planet and The Thing From Another World (James Arness as a big carrot/excellent score/great script/superior acting).

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Unfortunately for them, they weren't members of the musicians' union, so they were credited for their "electronic tonalities" rather than "music," and the film wasn't considered for an Oscar for its soundtrack. :(

So we had to wait until 1982 to see an electronic musician receive an Oscar - Vangelis for "Chariots of Fire", good soundtrack but not particularly electronic-sounding, and certainly not 'advanced' as the Barrons' work. But it got Ridley Scott's attention for Blade Runner....

It seems that MGM called the Barrons after seeing Ian Hugo's avant-garde short movies, with text by Anais Nin and music by Louis and Bebe. The script was loosely based on Shakespeare's "Tempest", and the idea was to hire them for sound effects and scifi/horror ambient sounds only... but then they decided to let the Barrons do all the music, which was a brave move, and gave "Forbidden Planet" much of its personality and atmosphere.

For sure, the music contrasted with the rather stiff acting, creating an interesting blending... :)

[video:youtube]

Watch it? I came within a hair's breadth of having Robby tattooed on one arm. Then he turned into the Internet and ruined a good thing.:saber:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Semi-OT: The bummer with The day the Earth stood Still is that it was taken from a short story called Farewell to the Master. And unfortunately, as Hollywood is wont to do, they sort of kept the characters and wrote a completely different -- IMO inferior -- story around them.

Other examples of Hollywood Sci-fi story mutilation include

• Cyborg -> The Six Million Dollar Man
  • Monkey Planet -> Planet of the Apes
  • and perhaps most egregious, SyFy Network's rendition of The Cold Equations, which inverted the ending (and the point) of the original story.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I thought the message of Forbidden Planet raised it way above the sci-fi movies of that time...right up there with Metropolis, although for very different reasons.

However, musicpeoples might also enjoy "Invisible Invaders," because the premise is that the only defense against the invaders was sound. It is a SAMPLEFEST!! I did an entire techno tune around the turn of the century that had nothing but samples from it, like the crazy professor saying "Sound is the answer!" I always wanted to post the song on my YouTube channel, but Turner owns the rights, and nothing ruins your morning like a cease-and-desist from a lawyer...I decided to play it safe.

OK, so it's load the form up with forbidden crap time.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net