Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Module with decent pads and strings

I've got a church gig these days where I am playing my Korg CX-3 to accompany a piano player who leads all the songs. I'm pretty sure the Korg has midi functionality to add a small module where I can alternate between organ and other backfill sounds like pads or strings. I'm looking for an inexpensive solution, maybe something used I can pick up on Ebay. Remember the Emu Proteus? Something like that .... looking for suggestions.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you happen to have an iPhone or iPad already, the cheapest option could be to use that. In a cheap small hardware module, I like the Roland JV-1010. One thing is that it's got better front panel pach navigation than some other small modules,.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Any Roland JV / XV module will work well if you go hardware. I've used their soundsets (mostly in keyboards) for this same purpose, and was still getting requests from P&W leaders to bring my ancient XP-80 along for their services as recently as a few years ago . Their biggest drawbacks are pianos and organs - which you've got covered already.

The reason I'm leaning towards hardware is the fact that I don't have any midi adaptors for my iPad and just like the idea of turning a few knobs on something like the JV-1010 to dial in a patch on the fly

Well, the MIDI for your iPad and an app or two will still be cheaper than a module, and you can select patches from the touchscreen. Buy hardware has its appeal too...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Quite honestly, strings and pads for this type of application do not need to be all that stellar. It's not like orchestral stuff or studio recording. Most of the songs just call for pretty generic string or pad fill. Just about anything from Roland, Yamaha, or Korg going back to some of the earliest days of MIDI controlled rack modules will probably be sufficient. I'm most familiar with the Roland stuff and I'd say even going back to the Sound Canvas days (SC-55, SC88, etc) would be sufficient, but certainly the JV and XV series stuff gives you more sounds. The Motif XS rack and Triton TR rack would certainly be more than adequate. I'd just search for the cheapest module you can find on Ebay and if you have questions about it, post here.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Id say look for a Yamaha MU-100 or Roland SC-55. Both would be great for what youre looking for. You can find SC-55 for around $100 or less often.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I'm not convinced there is such a thing as a great string pad. The more realistic they sound, the more awkward they tend to be. I tend toward really vintage mellotron or string machine patches for that kind of stuff.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

It would be hard to go wrong with a Roland JV-family multitimbral module for this application, especially if it's just for live use. I'd avoid the JV880, but all the other ones, from the 1080 up to the most recent, are extremely usable and practical.

"For instance" is not proof.

LOL, now I'm leaning towards software on my IBM Think Pad with a MOTU Fast Lane midi connector. The dude at Sweetwater is talking up Komplete and Omnisphere for some powerful options.

That software will cost more than a used module. But it could be worth it if you have other application for that software. Overkill just to add strings and pads to a gig,

The advantage of the iPad over the thinkpad (since you own both) is that most iPad apps are dirt cheap by comparison. But you may be able to find some suitable cheap apps for the thinkpad as well, it's nothing I've ever looked into. You'll probably need to spend a little more time on initial setup for the PC environment.

In the space of 9 hours we went from "I'm looking for an inexpensive solution, maybe something used I can pick up on Ebay. Remember the Emu Proteus? Something like that ...." to "I'm leaning towards software on my IBM Think Pad with a MOTU Fast Lane midi connector. The dude at Sweetwater is talking up Komplete and Omnisphere for some powerful options." That's quite a journey! Is there a wee possibility the "dude at Sweetwater" works on commission? :)

AFAIK Sweetwater reps work straight commission. However, the software he suggested is top-notch. Its not what the OP was hoping to source, but Ebay or Reverb.com is the best place to source used gear. Sometimes the regional Craiglist has something worth considering.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah, that software seems like overkill for the OPs purpose. AnotherScotts JV-1010 suggestion seems ideal if he can find one.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Ugh, I used Kontakt string pads for years, and now I wish I hadn't. In fact, I'm ditching most string pads and mostly using organ drawbar settings to fill the same space. No more uncanny valley. I urge you not to spend big or go complex on this one, KISS.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Regarding the JV1010, I have one which I got as a backup in case my computer ever died on a gig. I paid around $150 and this was probably 12-15 years ago. They haven't depreciated! One thing to know if you're considering buying one is that they originally came with a CD with editing sofware. You might be able to download it from somewhere on the web, but forget about running it on a Mac unless you have one that runs system 9! I'm not sure if the Windows version will run on a modern version either. Without this, your editing options are very limited, though they do try and make as much use out of the few front-panel controls as they can a look at the manual (which a google search should find) will tell you exactly what parameters are editable without software.

Roland XV-5050 will probably cost about $200. You can buy a new Blofeld for $499. The Blofeld has some interesting pads.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you are taking the notebook route, I'd look into Xpand!2. Tons of great sounds (more than plenty of strings and pads) for such a small footprint of 1 GB or so. The plugin is dirt cheap, too. I purchased a few licenses and gave them away to friends. It was easy to do so as it was $1.00 Also, if you already have Kontakt, Neo Soundstation is a very useful library. I bought it for $50 when it came out, but it is sold for $25 these days. It has some huge, gorgeous pads. Just about every single sound in the library is very usable and no waste, and the total library is only 3GB or so. While at it, I would highly recommend Gig Performer as your VST host. Gig Performer will make workstations and keyboards, and synths out of your plugins. It is a command center that glues everything together. You can move patch to patch literally seamlessly.

I have a JV and the software, but no Windows boxes left that are old enough to run it on. I had no luck with Windows 7.

If you have an iPad, there is a program called Patch Base that has editors for many vintage synths, including the Roland JV series. I used it with my DX7-IIFD, SQ-80 and JV-1080 before I sold them. The program is free and you can buy editors for individual instruments or buy access to all editors. You can try each editor before you buy it.

Patch Base - iPad Editor

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

That's very cool, thanks. I tried running the old JV software in Sheepshaver (OS9 emulator for OSX) but couldn't make it happen.

In truth I probably won't need to edit my JV patches as the unit is for emergencies only and already has what I need to get through a gig. Still it's good to know there are folks producing editing software for these older guys!

I have a JV and the software, but no Windows boxes left that are old enough to run it on. I had no luck with Windows 7.

If you have an iPad, there is a program called Patch Base that has editors for many vintage synths, including the Roland JV series. I used it with my DX7-IIFD, SQ-80 and JV-1080 before I sold them. The program is free and you can buy editors for individual instruments or buy access to all editors. You can try each editor before you buy it.

Patch Base - iPad Editor

Great to know, thanks! I'll check it out.

Moe

---

I never went the computer software route, no DAW, no wiring headaches, no incompatibly problems. I stayed with my Motif ES8, used the 16 track on board recorder, installed the RAM upgrade to download samples not resident on the ES8, including sound effects. I could save samples and sound effects with my songs and store it on a 1GB USB stick. I was able to save patches I edited or created with sound sets separately, named and dated the sound set and saved it to the USB sticks. I backed everything up via USB to my home PC.

Doing a classic rock show seldom required more than 16 tracks. Without a DAW and a separate Lap Top PC to deal with, I only had to learn one User Interface, Yamaha's UI for the Motif. I preferred to keep every in hardware. I bought an Alesis ION to use on gigs for more sounds other than just the ES8, but it was really a luxury KB.

I kept things simple, the ES8 never failed me on a gig and still works today as it did years ago. Reliable, none of the headaches dealing with all the "upgrade" BS on a PC, only to find that some of your software would not run on a later version of the computer OS software. :cry:

The KISS principal worked for me!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Roland stuff has great MIDI implementation. You don't need the editor if you have software or hardware that can send CC's RPN's, and NRPN's. I used to have one of those MIDI slider boxes (Peavey PC1600X) that I set up to do all of the editing I needed back in the day.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.