Print Thread
Mic choice, placement, preamp #2997949 07/10/19 03:09 AM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
If you had to rate mic choice, mic placement and preamp selection first to last in terms of achieving overall sound, what would it be for you?

I probably spend too much time moving mics around and not enough time choosing the right mic for the job. As far as preamps, I dont really own enough to be able to select that by flavor.

dB

Re: Mic choice, placement, preamp [Re: Dave Bryce] #2998059 07/10/19 06:53 PM
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
While I certainly have much less recording experience than you, I would have to say that the answer would depend on WHAT you're mic'ing. Intuitively, I would have a different answer for vocals, vs a guitar cabinet vs a piano vs a drum set.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: Mic choice, placement, preamp [Re: Dave Bryce] #2998111 07/11/19 02:36 AM
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
For recording a real drum kit, or a guitarist who really know how to use his amp as an instrument, I consider mic placement as most important. For vocals, I rate mic choice as the top factor followed by the preamp.

Re: Mic choice, placement, preamp [Re: Dave Bryce] #2999859 07/23/19 01:25 AM
M
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Mic choice, then placement (pre-amp is a non-factor as I only use transparent ones vs. coloured ones: True Precision 8, augmented by the ones on RME Fireface series and Audient ADAT expander).

There are always exceptions. Close miking a guitar amp, I care deeply about the mic choice, but that isn't worth a hill of beans if I don't place the mic correctly. Similarly with some of the drum mics.

I moved away from modern condenser mics a few years ago, then bought some vintage tube mic tributes, which I use alongside ribbon mics, and for certain instruments some specialized dynamic mics.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 07/25/19 10:23 PM.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Mic choice, placement, preamp [Re: Dave Bryce] #3000046 07/24/19 06:58 AM
matthew mcglynn Online Content
Online Content
Dave, great question. I have a bit of a bias, given that I've spent the better part of the last 10 years designing and building microphones. But the reality is that the reason I chose mics rather than preamps is that I believe they are often the most important part of the signal chain in terms of determining what the track sounds like.

I'm assuming that the source and the room do not vary in this scenario. That is, given a single singer or guitar rig or drum kit in a single room, if you had to choose between mic, pre, converter, my ranking would be mic, then pre, then converter.

Placement IS critical, although in most cases, I'd rank that behind mic choice. Just to illustrate: a lot of home recording people have a closet full of "stupid deal of the day" condensers that tend to be bright and harsh sounding. There are not many placement tricks that would make those mics NOT sound bright and harsh. But you can put a better mic in just about ANY position and it will sound better than the harsh mic. Maybe that's less true on guitar cabs (to address Mark's point); I'm thinking of drums, vocals, acoustic guitars.

Needless to say, lousy placement can make a great mic sound awful. I have seen inexperienced artists "eat" a large-diaphragm condenser in a studio setting, and then wonder why the track doesn't sound good. "That's what works for me on stage!" Umm, your tongue shouldn't actually make contact with the mic's capsule during the take. #protip

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com
Re: Mic choice, placement, preamp [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3000445 07/26/19 07:18 PM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by matthew mcglynn
Umm, your tongue shouldn't actually make contact with the mic's capsule during the take. #protip

laugh thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.

Moderated by  matthew mcglynn