Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft 275 and Colossus question...

Just wondering if anyone here owns both of these iOS apps and would be prepared to share an opinion on same?

I am looking to buy either one and cannot really choose. As they are both well over $60 (in Oz) I can only buy one.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to post.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them both, and prefer Ravenscroft. It's very versatile, even the stripped-down iOS edition. Timbre, EQ and Velocity settings are dynamic enough that you can set up & save custom sets that sound slightly different, depending on your need. The Colossus is by comparison more of a one horse unless you buy all the models. I bought the Yamaha (Red Piano) to contrast Ravenscroft, but never use it as there is really no need. Also if it makes any difference, Colossus has no built in reverb. Not a fan of the GUI either.

Ravenscroft is one of the most outstanding values in AU.

If you're using more than one AUv3 in a setup (Camelot, Audiobus) you might find Ravenscroft likes to dictate the sample rate, causing distortion, crashes & hangs. It took me a lot of research, time, trial & error to come to the bottom of this, but I've found that AUM is the only host that will run all my apps simultaneously and problem free.

YYMV you're likely more schooled in iOS MIDI than I.

Cheers

Here for the gear.

Ravenscroft occasionally goes on sale... I picked up mine for half price. I don't know whether Colossus in-app purchases (the only way to get the actual pianos) ever go on sale.

My concern with Colossus is that it is so resource-intensive that it may be less possible to use it simultaneously with any other app. But then again, they say it works on models as old as an Ipad 3, whereas Ravenscroft only goes back as far as an iPad 4 (based on the info on their sites), so who knows...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I'll be using Camelot so thanks for the heads up on rates....I think I'll go with the Ravenscroft sounds like a better package really. And to get all the pianos in Colossus requires over $110 (aud).

Cheers

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I'll be using Camelot so thanks for the heads up on rates....

note that drawback said Ravenscroft didn't play well with Camelot, suggesting AUM instead.

I think I'll go with the Ravenscroft sounds like a better package really. And to get all the pianos in Colossus requires over $110 (aud).

It's a bit of an unfair comparison. IIRC, Ravenscroft only has one set of piano samples. If you only want one sample set, you don't have to buy all the pianos for Colossus, you can buy just one, for less money. IOW, Colossus only gets that much more expensive if you buy functionality you can't get at all in Ravenscroft.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

yep thanks Scott - duly noted :) I'll have a play around with it and see what's what, knowing I can look at AUM, not sure it'll do what Camelot does though. Colossus (even the just the base piano) is about $20 more expensive out here...about $77 iirc.

Camelot had an update 3 months ago that addressed a long list of problems. One of them was stated as improving stability in Auv3s. Hopefully they mean Camelot can host all apps at the same rate each time they load (44.1 seems to be the most common).

This is a big deal if the op intends to use Ravenscroft alongside other apps in Camelot.

But meanwhile, Id moved on, so I havent tested it.

Best of luck!

Here for the gear.

yep thanks Scott - duly noted :) I'll have a play around with it and see what's what, knowing I can look at AUM, not sure it'll do what Camelot does though.

I don't know either. Though it's interesting to hear from drawback that Camelot has been updated, so it's possible it's not an issue. Another one you can try is Keystage, which I remember was not one of the ones drawback tried. There is a free Lite version you can use to evaluate.