Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best live show you've seen this year?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marillion's weekend stint in Montreal was super enjoyable. And having District 97 open for them on the Friday night show was a bonus.

I'm looking forward to Progstock in October (Saga, Brand X and Robert Berry's 3.2 are the headliners; Rocket Scientists, IO Earth, The Cyberiam, Nektar, Rachel Flowers, Stratuspherius, Phideux, Salem Hill and more throughout the weekend).

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Believe it or not...Little River Band. Not necessarily my kind of music, but the musicianship was so damn good I was totally sucked in. Five things I really appreciated:

Despite being a nostalgia group that plays the hits, they did some new material. It was a) excellent and b) surprisingly, very well-received by the audience.

The two guitar players worked together like a single unit, and played with emotion and taste (and no "guitar face").

The keyboard player figured out a way to slide into the spaces between the five-part harmonies and guitar work.

The drummer wasn't a pounder, he had finesse where needed, and hit hard when needed.

None of them phoned in their parts, and they respected the audience.

Much to my surprise, would gladly see them again. Also, whoever was doing the sound knew what he was doing.

Interesting re: LRB Craig. I don't doubt they were top notch, even though they are essentially an LRB tribute band without Glen Shorrock etc. My favourite this year so far is Little Steven and The Disciples of Soul. Just wow.

I saw Jon Batiste solo last year (October), so I guess that doesn't count, eh? One of the best shows I ever saw. He sat on a stage in the middle of the theater with all of us around him. I still get misty when I think of how powerful and moving he was, and a total blast, too. At the end, he led us all out to the street playing his "mouth piano" as Colbert calls it. Unfortunately the doors were too narrow and the crowd was thus too slow for us to keep up with him once he was outside. Still, Jon Batiste playing out on the street, pretty cool. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm a lot less enthused about going to concerts these days with the super cramped seating, drunks/methheads in front and/or behind. So I haven't seen many shows this year but Don Felder was one I didn't want to miss. It was at a smaller, more intimate venue with great acoustics and not a bad seat in the house (a stage I've actually performed on myself). He's high among my favorite guitarist list with his fabulously tasty Eagles licks and the band he'd assembled was absolutely amazing. I was also stunned by how good the vocals and harmonies were, they were tight and you could tell they'd all been rehearsing diligently. He stayed at the front of the stage signing autographs for quite a while after the show.

Little Feat 50th Anniversary Tour has so far won this year's best of shows award, I started a thread about it back in February in Keyboard Corner forum. Tedeshi Trucks Band a close second. Every player in both of those bands are bad ass, regardless of age.

dB, if the "Wheels of Soul" tour comes your way this summer, that would be my recommendation. :2thu:

:nopity:

Interesting re: LRB Craig. I don't doubt they were top notch, even though they are essentially an LRB tribute band without Glen Shorrock etc.

Maybe that's why they felt they had the freedom to do new material. But the issue of "are the latest incarnations of ancient bands actually tribute bands" is an interesting subject for a thread. Think I'll start one :)

Little Feat 50th Anniversary Tour has so far won this year's best of shows award
Did I complain in that thread about how they never seem to stop here? I'm hoping they work something out this time, it might be the last. But so far, I don't think they've even had any Texas dates, much less Houston.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Little Feat 50th Anniversary Tour has so far won this year's best of shows award
Did I complain in that thread about how they never seem to stop here?

yes, you did

Thanks for remembering. :rolleyes:;):D

Interesting re: LRB Craig. I don't doubt they were top notch, even though they are essentially an LRB tribute band without Glen Shorrock etc.

Maybe that's why they felt they had the freedom to do new material. But the issue of "are the latest incarnations of ancient bands actually tribute bands" is an interesting subject for a thread. Think I'll start one :)

Great idea! :thu:

Have not seen a major show in the past year but I am going to throw out a plug for my small town. They have a summer program called Thursday Night Live where they close a block of main street and a band performs live in front of the court house. Acts range from aging bar bands who were popular in the 80's to up and coming young bluegrass acts featuring teenagers playing banjo and fiddle. Quite an eclectic mix throughout the season and very enjoyable. Someone is doing a good job signing real talent no matter how popular they are. They have been doing this for years and I notice that larger places like Lexington are now doing the same thing.

I decided to throw up a sampling of the acts that play for our small town just to show the variety. These are short live clips of the actual performances in front of the court house. The last video is a band that I played with back at the end of the 1980's. Our practice location burned down and I lost a $8000 keyboard rig that put me out of music for a while. Among other things that burned was my beloved Rhodes Chroma which could not be replaced. In that video you can see some crowd shots and get a feel for the small town support for live acts.

Thursday Night Live, London Kentucky

[video:youtube]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

RABid, that is very cool. Hmm, London KY isn't that far away...

It's good to see local acts getting exposure in their hometowns. I was in Madison WI last month, I'm always blown away by how supportive the town is of music in general. Music is woven into the culture there.