MP Hall of Fame Member
Dannyalcatraz  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
WTF?

https://www.occhineriguitars.com/
vs
http://occhinericustomguitars.com/

Originally, the first web address was the legit home for the latter company. Donít know the details of what happened, but...

What I cannot figure out is why a company with absolutely no visible connection to guitars or music would want that web address.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
GP Island
Re: A bit of weird... [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2997860
07/09/19 07:36 PM
07/09/19 07:36 PM
St. Louis, MO
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
J. Dan  Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

St. Louis, MO
Usually what happens (this happened to me) is that somebody accidently allows their domain name to expire and there are opportunistic companies who snag them up, thinking somebody will pay a bunch of money to buy them back.

My last name is Elze and a long time ago I bought the domain elzeonline.com. Didn't have much on there except links to my band websites, used it to host images and other files, but mostly just used the email address. Let it lapse probably 10-12 years ago and it's still for sale by the assholes who snagged it up:

www.elzeonline.com

Asking $3895 for it. Obviously not worth anything to anybody but me, so there it sits.

Why would another legitimate company use something like that for their domain? To bring traffic to their site. The domain probably had enough traffic that they think a lot of people will mistakenly hit their page, see something they like, and buy it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: A bit of weird... [Re: J. Dan] #2998240
07/11/19 11:49 PM
07/11/19 11:49 PM
Near Phoenix Az
desertbluesman Online content
MP Hall of Fame Member
desertbluesman  Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted by J. Dan
Usually what happens (this happened to me) is that somebody accidently allows their domain name to expire and there are opportunistic companies who snag them up, thinking somebody will pay a bunch of money to buy them back.
My last name is Elze and a long time ago I bought the domain elzeonline.com. Didn't have much on there except links to my band websites, used it to host images and other files, but mostly just used the email address. Let it lapse probably 10-12 years ago and it's still for sale by the assholes who snagged it up www.elzeonline.com Asking $3895 for it. Obviously not worth anything to anybody but me, so there it sits. Why would another legitimate company use something like that for their domain? To bring traffic to their site. The domain probably had enough traffic that they think a lot of people will mistakenly hit their page, see something they like, and buy it.

They sure have a lot of patience. +1 on not buying it back however, if you need a website you could probably configure your name into another thing by adding a word or two, and get it for cheap.....

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose