Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer 808

Hi all,

I'm wondering about the release date for this drum machine. I can find articles from January that say the release date is March, but March is almost over.

Anyone know?

Regards

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited the Behringer/MusicTribe offices in Los Angeles a couple weeks after the NAMM show. One of my main reasons for visiting was to check out the RD-808, but they told me the RD-808 prototype had to be sent back to Behringer. My guess is that it's being re-worked, in terms of both physical layout and bugs. They also had an RD-909 there, but it was a non-working prototype.

Thanks Elsongs.

Hopefully it is a well built, reliable product...

It's Behringer. Please.

Yes, based on the other synths they've released and their popular digital mixers, I think we can assume it WILL be well built and reliable.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 3 months later...

The last thing I read on gearslutz.com is that Uli hopes to sell the RD8 (name changed) for under $400. I'm assuming he is hinting at $399.00. Back around February I saw about $500 retail. We'll see. I watched and listened to the Sonic State demo with Nick Batt and it sounds suspiciously like the Roland 808 I owned back in the dark ages. No Target release date, yet.

My only concern is that Uli says he is adamant about "authenticity" of the re-issues he manufactures. I am concerned about reissuing a vintage piece of gear with the same short comings of the original. Hmm..... However their Odyssey reissue has all 3 filters from the originals, midi, but no Patch Mernory. So on one hand we have a reissue with additional features, but did not get what that synth really needed....patch memory. The Behringer Odyssey would be a lot less money than Korg's version and I believe they missed the mark with the Odyssey, as well as their Model D.

I believe that Sequential has the right idea with their OB6. Dave and Tom were able to get as close to the original sound as possible, but added modern features to enhance their new Oberheim. For me, that adds value to their OB6, whereas Behinger threw the baby out with the bath water.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It seems they have updated some aspects of the original 808, adding swing, removing the voice selector knob, plus some cool performance features. I wish theyd stop the worlds longest strip tease and release it. Perhaps theres a lawsuit from Roland theyre fighting - who knows? I have a new project I would love to use the RD8 for.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Here's a link to a Prototype demo from June 2019 with Nick Batt from Sonic State.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm sold on this thing...nice big controls

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 5 months later...

I have about 5 days on the new RD-8, Behringer's 808 clone.

A few simple quirks to get past, but once you get it down, programing is super fast. I've been learning and listening to all kinds of 808 music, and I have one bank full of famous patterns.

But my real reason for this is as an inspiring metronome. I have "Drum Beats" on my phone, and through my stereo it does sound great.....but...good as it is the app feels canned and is meh to use.

I punched in a bunch of 4/4 and 3/4 patterns in the RD-8 for keyboard practice, and made a song which scrolls through them. For practice at this time I am easily distracted, so I often don't even use the famous kick, but go for a Jazz style, light and sparse but with all the notes.

You add a little chance and flam, maybe some swing, and......it's not predictable. I really like it. Tempo is a big knob that wants to be turned.

I hated the 808s when it first took over in the 80's, although I did not know anything about what machines were making the sounds. But I've been learning all about the history, and I'm a convert LOL.

In short, the RD-8 (which is often discounted on request) is extremely versatile, and don't think you can't play it live:

[video:youtube]

That's a real 808, but the RD-8 is near identical in size and knob layout. The RD-8 adds a few simple filters which can apply to any instrument and filter actions can be live or recorded. Every piece of the kit has a 1/4 out also, so any could be shot right at a pedal. It really would be killer on a gig where apropriate.

Build is quite decent, but not as good as Deepmind 12. Base is metal and body is plastic. It could use some cheeks ;) But it has to be lighter than the original, so prancing around like the legend above would be easier. Big as modern drum machines go, but the little ones are cheap and plentiful if you need something to carry on your bike. In actual use, the size and lack of menu diving is an advantage, it seems to me.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.