Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SonicBar Stereo Keyboard Speaker/Amp

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad someone is making this option available for players doing solo or light combo gigs. Designed to work with the Sequenz stands but can be used standalone or placed on top a slab DP (6" depth).

https://sequenzmusicgear.com/en/products/lineup5/#sonicbar

Busch.

I like the idea for the home, just only to have something for practising and leave DAW and studio monitors switched off.

But I also wonder what 2x 25W means,- 25W RMS, Continuous or Peak ?

And when it´s also an optional device for Physis Piano, it might be optimized for acoustic piano sounds (?).

Maybe it´s a cool addition to a CPS Spacestation v3 then,- the SSv3 positioned somewhere in a corner 6 feet away for the "bloom" and nice rotary sim projection while the Sonicbar is sitting on the keyboardstand closer to the player´s ears.

A.C.

But I also wonder what 2x 25W means,- 25W RMS, Continuous or Peak ?

Doesn't really matter. The spec that matters is SPL, and unfortunately they don't give that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interesting idea. It could be nice for small gigs with the quintet where the sax and trumpet dont need reinforcement and the built-in speakers on my DP (Yamaha P105) need some more volume.

Does it only attach to their stands?

With two pair of stereo inputs, could one use one for the piano and the other for a vocal mic?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• 3 months later...
Great concept for a monitoring solution. But only one volume knob means no control of local vs main (thru) out levels?

Just installed a SonicBar on my Sequenz stand at church this weekend. It's a very tight, focused, good-sounding monitor, but nothing fancy. All stereo; two 1/4" channels in, one 1/8" channel in, one 1/4" channel out, one 1/8" headphone out. No mixer; Bass, Treble, Master Volume knobs. It's biggish; about 6" square, and 3-feet long; roughly the size of a TV soundbar, but twice the girth. Comes with nice hanging brackets that allow adjustability of the "swing" angle.

I liked the sound of it quite a lot, and love the fact that it isn't another piece of gear sitting around on the floor. Don't like the external PSU brick (standard Korg); wish it had a simple "mix" knob for the two channels, but that's a niggle. Our sound guy liked that it didn't project much at all backward, so it didn't affect his FOH mix (generally, monitors are verboten on stage for that reason). At first, I wished for a little more volume, but of course I've got it aligned with my knees instead of my ears, so I can't fault it much for that.

All in all, I think it's a good addition to the rig, and I'm going to keep it. More to come...

Installation pics

1MNX2rE.jpg

6AFJiBi.jpg

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Yeah, I wish there were more of these keyboard oriented speaker systems. Korg makes a bar similar to this for their high end arranger boards. It costs $514, weighs 12.5 pounds, has 2x20 watts for midrange/tweeter, 1x40 watts for a "subwoofer". Man oh man, what a great system!!!! Right in your face / ear holes, this would probably even outdo the Yamaha CP300.

Yamaha makes a $300 2.1 system for the genos, two satellites that attach to the keyboard aimed at your head, and a sub on the ground. I imagine that's a gorgeous sounding monitor as well.

I've said it before, powerful speakers built into a board takes you a long ways to having a wonderful monitor for yourself- just add a sub or a QSC 8/10, and your sound is rich and stereophonic.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 1 month later...
Wow, looks similar to my setup, while I have a SV-1 below the VOX. Is this the VOX stand? I also think about getting the soundbar. I like the idea that the sound comes from the instrument and not from behind or elsewhere. Like a Rhodes that sits on a speaker or a piano or even my Hammond. At home this is perfekt, but is it loud enough for rehearsals against git/dr/ba?

Is this the VOX stand?

is it loud enough for rehearsals against git/dr/ba?

Yes, this is the stand (also made by Sequenz) that came with the VC73. The Sonic Bar is intended as a monitor for the player, not as a primary loudspeaker. As you've noted, it's perfect for home or even for small solo piano gigs. But it doesn't project much from the back, and doesn't have huge volume potential -- *you* could hear it in a rehearsal, but your bandmates probably could not.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 2 months later...

Interesting.

It is a hiss and not a hum.

It is in the frequency range that is normal for most systems.

But typically you dont hear it when running the system at typical listening levels.

Often this noise rears its head when the system is set to full gain.

Often at this volume level other electrical noise becomes noticeable as well - amplified by the amplifier.

Does it matter wether an instrument is connected or not to the SonicBar?

Does connecting the headphone jack kill the signal to speakers?

Does the noise appear in the headphones at healthy listening levels or when cranking the headphone amp?

Are you using a quality pair of headphones capable of reproducing 20htz to 20khtz?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

-Does it matter wether an instrument is connected or not to the SonicBar?

-if I connect an instrument the noise is always present

Does connecting the headphone jack kill the signal to speakers?

-Yes, if I connect the headphones to the headphone jack, the sound is only heard through the headphones.

Does the noise appear in the headphones at healthy listening levels or when cranking the headphone amp?

-If I connect the headphones, the hiss noise is heard. I do not know if it's healthy or not, but I do not like it, so what I do is connect the headphones to the rear mixing outlet and then I do not hear the hiss sound. When I need it.

Are you using a quality pair of headphones capable of reproducing 20htz to 20khtz?

-my headphones are the model Sennheiser hd515, with frequency response 14-26,000 hz

In short, the sat of korg says that it is normal so I will try a trick to hide the hiss with rubber eva. Later I will post results and photos...