Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hmmm...what do you think?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we didn't talk much about counterfeiters on the other thread and Gibson, Fender et al, should pursue both civil and criminal actions (i.e. confrontation) against any and all counterfeiters no matter what country they are from. China was bringing over some cheap LP's, Strats, Etc., to the USA, so cheap that they could not possibly be anything but counterfeit. Very excellent copying though! On the other front with Dean, as I indicated on the other thread settling issues out of court and licensing (i.e. collaborations) is a more cost effective way to go IMHO. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have no problems with Gibson going after counterfeiters. Id like to see ALL of the affected companies get their rights enforced.

The Gibson (& Fender) lawsuits against the other companies, though, seem frivolous at this point in time. But if they can negotiate some kind of agreements that they can live with, more power to them.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I have no problems with Gibson going after counterfeiters. Id like to see ALL of the affected companies get their rights enforced.

The Gibson (& Fender) lawsuits against the other companies, though, seem frivolous at this point in time. But if they can negotiate some kind of agreements that they can live with, more power to them.

Agreed, on both counts. The counterfeiting issue is so absurd I have to believe it's state-sponsored, in some cases, if not all. In some long-past thread, I remember posting a link to a website that offered to put any logo on any headstock on any Guitar you ordered from them!?! If there could be any more blatant invitation to design your own counterfeit Guitar, IDK? Maybe that was the legal workaround: rather than having an identifiable line of counterfeit "Gibson" or "Fender" Guitars, they could say that they were just building whatever the customer ordered? Maybe a genuine Byrdcaster.

Regarding Gibson's supposed softer stance regarding some of these pending lawsuits, I have to wonder if there aren't two, possibly conflicting forces at work here? One would be the knowledge that at least some of their arguments are unlikely to stand up in court, so better to make any deal, than lose a case. OTOH, maybe this offer to negotiate is just a version of the approach that Floyd Rose used with great success? "Negotiate a license agreement with me, or I'll litigate your product right off of the shelves!"

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There's more counterfeiting of all sorts of products these days than ever before, largely b/c of the relative ease of selling via the Net, esp Amazon.

As to the content of the statement quoted at the musicradar site, it seemed a bit of backtracking, maybe from bad publicity.

In cases where manufacturers make the exact same products, I wonder what their "collaboration" would entail....

The most interesting part was this:

Says James JC Curleigh, President and CEO of Gibson, It is time to make the modern-day shift from confrontation towards collaboration, whilst still protecting our brands, and we are committed to making this happen starting now.

Is the pres of Gibson English ? :D

d=halfnote

This.