Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behring Odyssey and other classic synths reborn

I'd like to see them do something "similar yet different" and not focus as much on copying the past. Basically, what these original manufacturers did. Add more functionality (as they appear to be doing) and modularity/flexibility.

Amen. If you make a knock-off of an original just to drop the price, allegedly to "make it easier on the pocketbook", all you end up doing it cheapening the image (and usually value) of the original. Just because a company is impoverished in the area originality does not mean they have to copy everyone else.

[Of course, when/if Behringer releases it, my Korg clone will drop even more in value. I should have listened to myself and bought the original when it came out. If I'd only had a few more dollars. Ah, life. :rolleyes: ]

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see them do something "similar yet different" and not focus as much on copying the past. Basically, what these original manufacturers did. Add more functionality (as they appear to be doing) and modularity/flexibility. Case in point, though it's software: U-he's Diva, which emulates a number of analog synths in "spirit" but allows mixing and matching of emulated filters etc.

And as I've said before, I'd love Behringer to make a clonewheel, better yet something like the Nord Electro with one of their synths built in :D

They do appear to be killing it, I LOVE my Behringer 404hd interface to death...worked without a single hiccup for almost 2 years, is quiet, sounds great, is 4x4 with midi ports for 79 bucks. Anyone doing a "hobby studio", this would be a strong recommendation for an interface that works and saves a fair bit of $.

I was reading a Post by Behringer's Uli on Gearslutz.com awhile back. He was taking about keeping the "authenticity" of the originals in his reissued synths and other equipment. He said his customers want as close to the original as possible. Basically want a reissue of 30 and 40 year old products, with little or no addition of more modern features. I looked over the Korg Odyssey in addition to the Behringer version. The reason i retired my original Arp Odyssey Mark III from my live KB rig was as a solo entertainer, i just didn't have time between or during songs to change patches on it, much less check the tuning. So the Odyssey mostly sat there and looked pretty. I moved onto poiy synths with patch storage and put the Odyssey on top of my Rhodes in my music room.

What I see is a reissue with the same limitations as the original. for the most part. Korg issued a full size Odyssey with no PATCH MEMORY!. The Prototypes of the Behringer version had the filters of all three original Arp Odysseys, and added Midi. No Patch memory. I don't know what it would cost to add a microprocessor and the circuitry that goes with it, but I would never buy a reissue of anything unless it had reasonable improvements without drastically changing the SOUND of the original.

Dave Smith's OB6 is perfect example of recreating an Oberheim, while incorporating modern features and capabilities. That's the way to do it.

Korg and Behringer missed the mark.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have the DM12, really well done. There are two more big keyboards coming, at least. I forget which ones they are, but very fancy. Next for me will be the RD-8.

Peak analog? Not even close.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I have the DM12, really well done. There are two more big keyboards coming, at least. I forget which ones they are, but very fancy. Next for me will be the RD-8.

Peak analog? Not even close.

I'll be interested to see the final version of the Novation Summit. Primarily its two 8 voice Novation Peak's built into a 5 octave KB. The Digital Osc are over clocked at 24 MHz. An excellent analog filter and lots of Modulation options, in addition to the ability to split the KB. It doesn't sound "digital" to me. Cleaner than vintage synths? You bet. I suggest you give it a listen when the final product is released. Probably by September.

MAP $1999.00

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.