Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Standtastic not what I hoped it would be

I recently ordered a Standtastic 122KS, which is a shorter two-tiered A-frame stand. However, despite reading some good reviews, both on this forum and elsewhere, I was pretty disappointed with the lack of side-to-side stability. Even with two keyboards on it, it still rocked back and forth when I played. This is a bummer because I was looking forward to how portable this stand is supposed to be with the bag it comes with. So I'll be sending it back soon.

So the hunt continues. I've read some really great things about the K&M 18880, but I just can't believe how lightweight it is. Can anyone comment on not just the stability, but if there is any sideways motion when playing? I've also looked at the K&M 18810 Omega, which seems to be the ultimate solution, but the price is just a bit out of my budget. Also, it seems less portable than the 18880. If anyone can assure me that there is no lateral motion on the 18880 when it is in use, that would be great. Also, this stand would strictly be for gigging, as I have a two tiered On-Stage Z stand and ProLine X stand I use at home.

"...and that TV channel at the hotel that's, like, ABOUT the hotel?"

Yamaha CP 73 / Numa Organ 2 / Korg Prologue 8

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say my 18880 does rock a bit side to side. I have plans to fix that, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. It involves replacing the horizontal brace with an X brace which is pinned at the middle and the bottom ends, while the top unhooks so the stand can fold.

Otherwise, I still love the heck out of this thing. Unbelievably light and sets up in seconds. For a 2 board rig, I wouldn't use anything else.

Moe

---

I use the 18880 with a NE4D. I also cut another notch in the horizontal brace for a bit more stability, and the Nord's feet lock inside the topside rails. I have found no issues with rocking or motion at all.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Yep, there is definite side-to-side motion which could be an issue depending on how wild you get with your playing. And it's worse the higher you make the stand - I use it mostly for sitting and my old Invisible stand for standing gigs. Still, I love its portability and how fast it sets up.

Thanks for all the input! I would definitely be using it for sitting, and I don't get wild with my playing at all. I guess I'm just looking for something as solid as the Z stand but in a more portable package.

I got a silly good deal on two (well, 1 and a half really) at a garage sale of all things....I tried it at a couple gigs but went back to my onstage Z soon afterward. It took too long to set up and took up a lot of space. Also, these were the shorter ones and I really need the taller version as I'm tall myself, but that's not the fault of the stand.

I also retired my onstage Z to home studio use, as it was pretty clunky to move around. Got a spider pro and it's the best stand I have ever owned, not even close.

With mixed reports and not being able to see one in person, it's a tough call :/ as much as I hate to say it, I may just resort to a two tier X stand. Or, I just found the Quiklok WS-421 and 422, which look alright. Probably not as good of build quality as the K&M equipment, but a table style stand seems very appealing. Does anyone have any experience with this pair?

If I go with the X stand, the Quiklok 742 seems to be the most adjustable and sturdy-looking (I hate how all of this is speculation haha)

Addressing the Standtastic side-to-side, Make sure both ends of the cross bars are tight. If they're loose the stand can have the side-to-side,

I use a 2 tier On Stage Z stand now. While it's solid, it's a pain to transport, has a front to back stability issue, and it's very easy to trip over the legs. Considering going to a 2 tier x stand for that reason. Just need to make sure the top tier can handle an SX-2

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

With mixed reports and not being able to see one in person, it's a tough call

Some of these reports are confusing... I was unsure whether someone was talking about the Standtastic in the subject line, or the K&M you were asking about.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have on On Stage 3 tier A stand at home and it is rock stable. But I feel like I am like a one armed paper hanger when setting it up so use a Quik lock X stand live.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I love mine. I've got the 60" 3-tier and it's rock solid. As mentioned above, just make sure the cross-section in front is tightened down and it's all set.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I use a 2 tier Standtastic, and the only time I have an issue with side to side is if I'm on a stage that's doing the same thing (think one of those put together deals you get at hotel convention venues along with 4 VERY energetic frontmen)....only issue I have other than that is that due to its fold up construction it'll bite me from time to time if I'm not careful.....

I use a 2 tier Standtastic, and the only time I have an issue with side to side is if I'm on a stage that's doing the same thing (think one of those put together deals you get at hotel convention venues along with 4 VERY energetic frontmen)....only issue I have other than that is that due to its fold up construction it'll bite me from time to time if I'm not careful.....

Oh goodness haha. The only time I've experienced something like that was at an outdoor gig for a beer and bacon festival (really good crowd). The "stage" was essentially a small platform about 2 feet off the ground. About a half hour in, we realized the two halves of the stage had slowly been crawling away from each other--we thought it was from our drummer's foot hitting the kick drum. Anyway, aside from an electrical outage that lasted about ten minutes, that gig ended up turning out okay.

So the Standtastic is on its way back to Sweetwater. I'm strongly considering spending a bit more and going with the K&M 18950 and 18952. Definitely pricier, but if the build quality of K&M is as good as I've read, I should be able to get some incredible mileage out of it, as I'm very careful with my gear.

• 2 weeks later...
I figured I should wrap up this situation, so here goes. I ended up returning the Standtastic to Sweetwater and ordering the K&M 18950 and 18952 from Thomann. They arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed with their stability and build quality, really the ideal stand for me. The best part? I ended up saving just over $150 by ordering through Thomann instead of any of the U.S. distributors. Also received great customer service from Thomann. So props to both K&M and Thomann for a great shopping experience :)

My 60" three-tier Standtastic is solid...I have forgotten to tighten the X-bars a time or two and recall that swaying motion. It is kind of a pain to set up compared to a two tier X or better yet that old Invisible Stand that I gig with most of the time. Got a new board arriving soon, so might be schleping the Standtastic again. :D