Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RCF Array vs Bose L1 Model II w/ B2 Speaker for Keyboards

Hello All,

I just wanted to revise an older topic I threw out there a while ago regarding the Bose L1 Model II w/ B2 cabinet. Some of you had responded in that and other threads to advise that you were using the RCF TT08 speakers among others.

Going to one of the retailers I usually use, I happened to come across a slightly larger model than the TT08's , the ART 745-A MK4 which is 15" 1400 wat 2 way system. They are $1600 each.

Also for slightly more than that Bose, the RCF EVOX 12 Active Speaker Array - these are $2500 each. Less speakers in the array w/ one 15" woofer on the bottom cabinet, also 1400 Watts (700 Watts per side). The RCF array speaker column is multi-directional as far as I know.

Being that Art 745-A is a standard speaker, do you think that using the EVOX 12 (single column) would be a better choice than the Bose in situations where I would be doing a cocktail hour or the ceremony portion of a wedding reception? RCF also has the J8's which are only $1000 so was wondering if the Evox 12 would be overkill for a cocktail hour and wedding ceremony. Also can you use these with a separate amp in case the built in amp fails? I also like the Line 6 speakers, but they are front facing conventional speakers as well.

I'm just nervous about getting the Bose system because I've heard that the sound doesn't "push" in some larger situations and I would be using just 1 column with it's B2 speaker (2 10" speaker enclosure). Today is the last day it's on sale for 15% off at $2300.00 so don't know whether to purchase or not to save the $400.00

I do not have a working band situation yet, but do know that I will need an amp eventually. I plan to use Westone in-ears for the actual reception.

Anyway Guys, any quick opinion you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have just a couple of hours to make up my mind to take advantage of the 15% off on Bose speakers, as today is the last day they are on sale.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony -- my two cents? I own a bunch of similar stuff.

The pure columnar stuff does well with receptions and acoustic situation where you want to be tasty wallpaper to the event vs. the center of attention. As you pointed out, the RCF ART is a traditional "box" PA unit, hence directional. So not ideal for that situation, but certainly workable.

BTW, the RCF TT08-A and the ARTs are completely different designs. Don't think of the ARTs as "better", just different. Long explanation ensues.

The Bose L1 Model II is the defacto standard of acoustic columnar units. Maybe you can pay less and get less, but I don't think you can get better for what it does. I used to have one, and now use a L1 Model 1S or a L1 Compact depending. Mono, of course.

The Model II is a beefy unit, very tasty, and more than what I need for the modest acoustic gigs I play. The price offered for new is decent, but -- I got mine for a whole lot less used. Same for the 1S and the Compact -- I think the best way to buy the L1 models is used, 'cause they're always around if you're patient.

The RCF EVOX is a whole different deal, sort of a hybrid. I have the newer EVOX J8, and it sort of nicely splits the difference between a pure columnar (such as the Bose) and a pure box PA (such as the RCF). I get some of the punch and directionality of the box-style units, plus some of the airy dispersion of the line array units. The J8s get a lot of use for modest-scale electric gigs where you want to bring some decent sound, but don't need to get super-loud. For example, not enough for an outdoor festival situation, I'd use other gear for that.

The EVOX J8 would be overkill for a wallpaper reception-style acoustic situation unless I dialed them way back. And I'd have to bring two instead of a single column. The Bose and similar columnar units would do great at acoustic, but easily crumble in a louder electric situation. And you need to bring two to have stereo.

If you're looking for the ultimate tasty acoustic rig (and don't care about electric), I'd go with one of the Bose models. That's what I did, and have ended up with multiples. The RCF TT08-a units (pair) are insane, but overkill for those situations.

I hope this helps?

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the reply. After very careful consideration, I decided to skip the purchase of the Bose System. I investigated some reviews on multiple array systems from YouTube (DJ's who used the equipment in the field), and heard a side by side comparison. Surprisingly, they introduced me to the Yamaha Evolve 50 model, which came out on top of all of the others tested, with the caveat that the bass response was not as strong as the RCF EVOX 12. But the mid-range and highs really were clearer on the Yamaha series.

I just wanted to thank you for your help, as I did not want to make a purchase error. I now have time to purchase the speaker needed, since there is not a sales deadline to meet.

Thanks Again,

Anthony

Glad to help in any small way possible ...

I think you are referring to the EV Evolve 50, and not Yamaha? If so, it looks like a good choice. These newer designed with a line array on top and woofer/mids below are very, very versatile and deliver excellent sonic bang-for-the-buck. And, you're right, the Evolve 50 looks to be one of the best (and perhaps one of the most expensive) of the bunch. Hope it all works out well!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"