Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes model? (no pic, sorry)

Hi,

Just throwing this out there. I came across a Rhodes Seventy-Three suitcase model today for sale (needs work though, looks like the hammers are misaligned with the strings or vice versa so it doesn't play much at all), but am trying to figure out the model.

Closest I can find is a 1974 suitcase 88. Same controls and color scheme as on the 73 I saw.

Is that a possibility? I don't have a picture but these controls are what's on the one I saw:

http://retrorentals.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Fender-Rhodes-1974-Suitcase-88-MIDI-6.jpg

The black lid lifts off and the entire unit is in a suitcase/road case of sorts, similar to this but with more latches and black:

http://chicagoelectricpiano.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Lunar-Rhodes-with-Lid.jpg

Weight seems to be pretty decent; with two people it seems to be the same as two-people lifting my Motif XF8 plus hardshell case (so around 100 lbs or so). Not bad at all.

So, what am I looking at? And what's it worth in basically unplayable condition? All the keys are there, all the controls, and cosmetically not bad shape, but the sound is all messed up. One or two keys work 40% of the time, but the upper two octaves for example play one out of tune bell tone and looking inside the hammers don't hit the strings a lot of the time - they miss them or aren't even lined up with them at all. Lady has no idea of the value but had it marked as $500 (thought almost everything worked) but it's actually her brother's (who apparently owns a large collection of "pianos, organs, and keyboards"). Is it worth my time? What are we looking at in terms of restoration cost/vs learning etc?

Thanks,

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The model shown on the bottom is actually a Rhodes Stage model. Sort of counterintuitive, but the Rhodes Suitcase has the speaker cabinet on the bottom, not the chrome legs. The picture on top is the panel of a Suitcase.

So the one you've seen has the chrome legs or the speaker cabinet?

The model shown on the bottom is actually a Rhodes Stage model. Sort of counterintuitive, but the Rhodes Suitcase has the speaker cabinet on the bottom, not the chrome legs. The picture on top is the panel of a Suitcase.

So the one you've seen has the chrome legs or the speaker cabinet?

Oh boy...

It has no legs or speaker cabinet, but is in a case like on the bottom, with the exact controls and layout of the panel shown above. There's a odd long skinny (ugly!) sustain pedal that's separate too. :idk

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If it has the volume, tone, and vibrato controls like the Suitcase but legs & sustain pedal with rod like the Stage, its a Stage piano with preamp for Super Satellites. I have a Stage 88 with Super Satellites.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/img/models/amp/super-satellite-1972.jpg

Hmmm....

While it's certainly possible that it's the Super Satellite system Mark and Dave mentioned, I'd be surprised as those were not very common.

My guess is that's it's the top of a Suitcase with no speaker cabinet. If that's what it is, follow Moe's suggestion above.

Did it have the hardware one the bottom where the legs screw in? That's the likely was to tell if it's a Stage....

Actually, it sounds like you should follow Moe's suggestion no matter what it is.

I think it had hardware for legs on the bottom (silver pieces that I think were threaded - didn't pay much attention honestly). It was being sold with a Squier 15 cheapo guitar amp as a speaker. It definitely had the "Accessory" jack as well as the main jack, three knobs and pull-out vibrato.

Let's say I did want to get it. For something with that many problems, what should it sell for? I get the impression that the woman wants it gone and she knows now that it has lots of problems and is willing to let it go a lot cheaper. What would be a fair offer? Assuming I'm going to be putting in around $900 in repairs?

Your picture is a Stage Piano. What kind of hammers does it have? If they're felt hammers, no chance of being heard in a band. At home, it would be OK. I still have my Mark I Suitcase Rhodes piano that I bought in 1979 right before the Mark II came out. My Rhodes has leather tip hammers. Much better. The Suitcase piano has a separate Treble and Bass Slider and a Vibrato on/off switch and intensity, much more flexible than a stage piano,

The two extra pots next to the RHODES name on the front are for a split KB modification I had my tech install on the piano. I also bought the Flat Top that is on that piano, it came with a curve top that was no good for stacking a synth as you see on my Rhodes.

eF7KzJk.jpg

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

This is exactly how I set up my Stage 88 w/Super Satellites to save room. I left a gap between the Satellites to make room for the sustain pedal and connect the rod. My Satellites still have hang tags.

I think it had hardware for legs on the bottom (silver pieces that I think were threaded - didn't pay much attention honestly). It was being sold with a Squier 15 cheapo guitar amp as a speaker. It definitely had the "Accessory" jack as well as the main jack, three knobs and pull-out vibrato.

Let's say I did want to get it. For something with that many problems, what should it sell for? I get the impression that the woman wants it gone and she knows now that it has lots of problems and is willing to let it go a lot cheaper. What would be a fair offer? Assuming I'm going to be putting in around $900 in repairs?

Reverb prices for Rhodes and Wurly's are notoriously overpriced, so I think it depends on how much you want a Rhodes of that vintage with that much work to do on it?

I'm not a Rhodes expert by any means (although I've owned two), but I think a good working one from this era is worth between $1000 and $1500? I'd personally not give anyone more than a couple hundred dollars for one in this shape. Heck, the legs alone would run almost $300 (and they appear to be out of stock at Vintage Vibe), and that's before you even start on the action and insides.

I'd keep looking for a working Rhodes that is complete! I'm not a big fan of Rhodes Stage pianos, they don't have the number of front panel controls of the Suitcase Rhodes. If you plan on gigging with a Rhodes, a stage piano is certainly easier to move around. I would suggest a Rhodes Mark I that came with the hard surface leather hammer tips, I do believe that the later Rhodes Mark II had some plastic Parts! Choose wisely. Don't settle for an instrument that was run through the mill or spent its life with a road band! If you can find one that was kept in a house or studio, you will get a much better instrument.

Check regional FOR SALE websites: Craiglist, and Amazon too,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

For me I would avoid it. My guess would be it was dropped and the inside structures are out of alignment. Maybe a simple fix but maybe not and then you have a classic Rhodes doorstop.

Look at something like the Crumar Seven. Much more versitile and movable. Lots of choices out there for a good Rhodes sound. Good Luck.

If it has the volume, tone, and vibrato controls like the Suitcase but legs & sustain pedal with rod like the Stage, its a Stage piano with preamp for Super Satellites. I have a Stage 88 with Super Satellites.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/img/models/amp/super-satellite-1972.jpg

Boy, that pic sure brings up memories. That is exactly what I had back in the day. First bought the stage 73 then added the pre-amp with the speakers. Loved the panning effect.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.