Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGD: LTD SC-207 7-string

I wasn't planning on getting another Guitar, but . . .

Having revamped my pedalboard, there were some things I wanted to trade in, so I went to my FLUMS, to see what they had. Originally, I was interested in a nice Walrus Audio Warhorn OD, with a little more gain than my Messner OD, but I went looking through the Guitar racks, anyhow.

There were only a handful of ERG's, several of which looked much the worse for wear. Among them was an LTD SC-207 that needed a good wipe-down with a cleaning rag, but nothing else that I could see. Still had the protective plastic film on the back plate, and the truss rod cover, no visible fret wear, and ZERO visible dings anywhere. Having worked in retail, I've seen new Guitars get more beat up just from hanging in the display area. Not the first time I've wondered if people don't buy these ERG's, then trade them right in on something more conventional?

Apparently, this is based on a model designed for Stephen Carpenter of the Deftones; not really a factor for me, one way or another. One odd feature is that it has a Bridge & "Middle" PU, but no PU in the neck position. It could easily have been a 3-PU Guitar, otherwise. I honestly have no idea why it has that particular design feature, possibly to mitigate excessive low-end output? There's 1 Volume and 1 Tone control, with a 3-position switch, a minimalist arrangement I see on a lot fo ERG's, for some reason, regardless of price point. The neck is wide and flat; I like the feel of it.

After tuning it up, and playing some extended chords on it, I decided it would more than do for now. I'd been wanting another 7-string since I'd traded in the Epi LP 7-string, because the Gibson scale length was too short to properly intonate the 7th string.

Today, I'm going to do a thorough set-up on it, and see how it sounds and feels after that. It was cheap enough that I came home with it (in an LTD hsc.), and some extra $$$, so no complaints there. We've got hot, humid holiday weekend down here, with a good chance of thunderstorms today, so it's a good time to work on Guitars. Hope all of you are enjoying your weekend, too.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Winston, very nice looking axe! Nice contours and switching set up. I'm wondering if having those two humbuckers so close together was to get some phasing sound in the middle switch position? You may be right on leaving out the neck pup on a 7 string to cut low-end output on the lowest bass string? Let us know what you find out after you get her set-up...make sure you unplug everything during that thunderstorm LOL! Good luck and have fun with it! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks, all.

First impressions: It cleaned up very nicely. Really, no marks anywhere on the body?!?!? The pickups could be better, but this is a budget model, so there are limits: I would probably get a better model 7-string, rather than go through the effort & expense of swapping out the PU's, but not looking to do either in the near future. Overall, it's nicely made, if not pro quality. Of course, it's my favorite Guitar color, gloss Black, even the back of the neck. I put some black Schaller strap-locks on it, and they look right at home.

I strung it with a set of DR .010-.056 Time-Fit strings, and even after switching strings, the intonation was very close to spot on. (Note to Caevan: they don't offer a Pure Blues ERG set.) I'm running it through my GT-10, which gives me a wealth of EQ options. For anyone even considering ERG's, Multi-FX w/Amp Modeling are your friends & allies. No question I'll have to set up patches just for it, but that's fine.

The low "B" string packs a serious punch, even when I switch to the Bridge PU, but again, given some time with the GT-10, I should be able to contour the tone a good bit. A little Distortion goes a long way with this Guitar.

I'll keep this string set on for a little while, like maybe a week, then move up to a .011-.060 set, for just a little more bite. It's a 25.5-inch scale with a bolt-on neck, so I'm sure it can take the slight increase in tension.

ESP/LTD also makes a reasonably affordable 8-string model with a much longer scale (27-inch, IIRC), which I'd like to check out, and Schecter makes an 8-string with a 28-inch scale. You really need that extra length for those low strings. Yes, I'm converted, but you already knew that. However, I promise, I will play on all of the strings, not just the 7th & 8th, and I will continue to make some attempt at playing Melody, however perverse, rather than mere Percussion.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Yes, I'm converted, but you already knew that. However, I promise, I will play on all of the strings, not just the 7th & 8th, and I will continue to make some attempt at playing Melody, however perverse, rather than mere Percussion.

Never were there any doubts about any of those points!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _