Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goodbye Aberration!

Goodbye Aberration: Physicist Solves 2,000-Year-Old Optical Problem

Sharing part of the article here...click on the link for the whole thing. Ground-breaking work from a physicist in Mexico.

opticalproblem.jpg

Fast forward to 2018 when Héctor A. Chaparro-Romo, a doctoral student at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), who had been trying to solve this problem for 3 years, invited Rafael G. González-Acuña, a doctoral student from Tec de Monterrey, to help him solve the problem.

At first, González did not want to devote resources to what he knew to be a millenary, impossible to solve problem. But upon the insistence of Héctor Chaparro, he decided to accept the challenge.

After months of working on solving the problem, Rafael González recalls, I remember one morning I was making myself a slice of bread with Nutella, when suddenly, I said out loud: Mothers! It is there!

(Note: Madres is a Spanish word that means, of course, many moms. But in this context it is equivalent to the expression Holy sh*t! in English, or, to a lesser extent, Eureka! in Greek.)

He then ran to his computer and started programming the idea. When he executed the solution and saw that it worked, he says he jumped all over the place. It is unclear whether he finished eating the Nutella bread.

Afterwards, the duo ran a simulation and calculated the efficacy with 500 rays, and the resulting average satisfaction for all examples was 99.9999999999%. Which, of course, is great news for gear reviewers on YouTube, as they will still be able to argue about the 0.0000000001% of sharpness difference among lens brands.

Their findings were published in the article General Formula for Bi-Aspheric Singlet Lens Design Free of Spherical Aberration, in the journal Applied Optics.

The image below shows the algebraic formula. In this equation we describe how the shape of the second aspherical surface of the given lens should be given a first surface, which is provided by the user, as well as the object-image distance, explains González. The second surface is such that it corrects all the aberration generated by the first surface, and the spherical aberration is eliminated.

The formula solves the Wasserman-Wolf problem, formulated analytically in 1949, but known to scientists for about two thousand years.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodbye Aberration: Physicist Solves 2,000-Year-Old Optical Problem

Sharing part of the article here...click on the link for the whole thing. Ground-breaking work from a physicist in Mexico.

opticalproblem.jpg

Fast forward to 2018 when Héctor A. Chaparro-Romo, a doctoral student at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), who had been trying to solve this problem for 3 years, invited Rafael G. González-Acuña, a doctoral student from Tec de Monterrey, to help him solve the problem.

At first, González did not want to devote resources to what he knew to be a millenary, impossible to solve problem. But upon the insistence of Héctor Chaparro, he decided to accept the challenge.

After months of working on solving the problem, Rafael González recalls, I remember one morning I was making myself a slice of bread with Nutella, when suddenly, I said out loud: Mothers! It is there!

(Note: Madres is a Spanish word that means, of course, many moms. But in this context it is equivalent to the expression Holy sh*t! in English, or, to a lesser extent, Eureka! in Greek.)

He then ran to his computer and started programming the idea. When he executed the solution and saw that it worked, he says he jumped all over the place. It is unclear whether he finished eating the Nutella bread.

Afterwards, the duo ran a simulation and calculated the efficacy with 500 rays, and the resulting average satisfaction for all examples was 99.9999999999%. Which, of course, is great news for gear reviewers on YouTube, as they will still be able to argue about the 0.0000000001% of sharpness difference among lens brands.

Their findings were published in the article General Formula for Bi-Aspheric Singlet Lens Design Free of Spherical Aberration, in the journal Applied Optics.

The image below shows the algebraic formula. In this equation we describe how the shape of the second aspherical surface of the given lens should be given a first surface, which is provided by the user, as well as the object-image distance, explains González. The second surface is such that it corrects all the aberration generated by the first surface, and the spherical aberration is eliminated.

The formula solves the Wasserman-Wolf problem, formulated analytically in 1949, but known to scientists for about two thousand years.

:nopity:

Chromatic aberration is a common problem that occurs when a lens cannot bring all the wavelengths of color to the same focal plane (or are focused at different positions of the focal plane). This results in "color fringing", where there is odd purple (or other color) surrounding various lines in an image.

Here's an example.

Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

In audio, I suppose the closest example might be if a waveform hits your microphones at different times.