Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? #2997397 07/05/19 08:44 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've heard mixed reviews, but it seems pretty harmless and might be fun. Anyone seen it?

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2997438 07/06/19 04:50 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
didn't know about this. just watched the trailer. looks like a hoot. laugh

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2997443 07/06/19 05:40 AM
Groove On Offline
It's in the range of okay to good depending on your expectations. I totally understand the mixed reviews. Personally, I found it to be a crowd-pleaser and a fun/light summer afternoon movie. One warning - the basic premise is a bit of sci-fi music fan fiction (think Bruce Almighty). Don't expect Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman, this is a different type of movie.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2997814 07/09/19 05:30 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well, I saw it - thoroughly enjoyed it. I think musicians will enjoy it a lot more than non-musicians, because of the many "musician's life" inside jokes. I also liked the brief homage to Spinal Tap, and thought that overall, the comedy elements worked - I laughed a lot.

I can't help but wonder how this ever got green-lighted. How the heck would you pitch a movie like this?!? I think it was pretty out of the box by today's standards.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2997816 07/09/19 05:43 PM
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I liked it as well. I think this was a pure fluke of licensing that this got made. It was relatively low budget with a high potential for positive return. But, as Craig mentions, it must have been a hell of an elevator pitch.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: zeronyne] #2997819 07/09/19 05:46 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by zeronyne
But, as Craig mentions, it must have been a hell of an elevator pitch.

I want whoever did it to do all my marketing going forward smile

I think it's cool the Beatles / Apple Corps let this happen. I mean obviously, it's good for the Beatles legacy, but still companies like that can ask for outrageous licensing fees that kill a project.

One byproduct of the movie: hearing a lot of the songs done only with acoustic guitar or piano reminded me how good the songwriting was. I think sometimes McCartney was overkill, and while the arrangements were often brilliant, they sometimes obscured the elegant simplicity of the songs.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2997979 07/10/19 07:16 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Been thinking about this some more. One of the ways I judge a movie is whether it leaves an impression on me - do I think about afterward, or does it just disappear out of my brain. I have to say a lot of scenes in that movie keep coming back to me. I'm starting to think that while the delivery system is a comedy, that carrier wave was being modulated by some other things. So I guess I'm upgrading my review to "worth seeing, especially if you're a musician." There were some interesting messages in there that were just below the surface.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2998009 07/10/19 01:54 PM
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Anderton
BI'm starting to think that while the delivery system is a comedy, that carrier wave was being modulated by some other things.

So instead of stars, we need to start rating movies in terms of synthesis method, in this case, FM. smile

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2998027 07/10/19 03:28 PM
paulkondig Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I enjoyed it! Even sang along with the songs.

I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry as I need it!
John Cage
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #2998064 07/10/19 07:14 PM
R
RABid Offline
10k Club
10k Club
R
Do the Beatles own the rights and have control? I was thinking that Michael Jackson had bought the Beatles catalog years ago.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: RABid] #2998080 07/10/19 08:40 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by RABid
Do the Beatles own the rights and have control? I was thinking that Michael Jackson had bought the Beatles catalog years ago.

Good point. I don't know how the rights were handled on this.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3000905 07/29/19 06:25 PM
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by RABid

Good point. I don't know how the rights were handled on this.

The producer paid 10 million to Apple Music/Sony.

Also I realized just now that the trailer for this movie has what I call a "Twister" moment. The trailer for "Twister" had a heart-stopping scene where a tractor tire is flung from a cyclone straight at the viewer...and it wasn't in the movie. In the "Yesterday" trailer, the protagonist is singing "Something" to the very lovely Ana de Armas. Except it got cut from the movie because it changed the focus of the plot.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: zeronyne] #3000940 07/29/19 09:07 PM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted by zeronyne
Also I realized just now that the trailer for this movie has what I call a "Twister" moment. The trailer for "Twister" had a heart-stopping scene where a tractor tire is flung from a cyclone straight at the viewer...and it wasn't in the movie. In the "Yesterday" trailer, the protagonist is singing "Something" to the very lovely Ana de Armas. Except it got cut from the movie because it changed the focus of the plot.

It happens a lot. I wonder if it's a reason the trailers don't come on the home release anymore. They used to fill the thing up with every trailer they ran, now they don't have any, even though they have deleted scene, but sometimes the deleted scenes aren't the ones from the trailer.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3007965 09/13/19 07:20 PM
M
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Craig, this film disappeared from my brain, if that helps, but it was fine at the time, if a bit weak in spots (especially the awkward John Lennon segment). Good acting, which helped, and Ed Sheeran's presence was magical. I didn't know much about him before, but now I aim to get more familiar with his works. The lead actor was also quite enjoyable to watch, as well as musically satisfying.

I saw this film mid-afternoon during a torrential downpour while in Aberdeen Scotland, the day it came out, right before heading on a long train journey to Liverpool (my first time), so it was the perfect film to see under the circumstances. :-)

In a way, I think it's worth seeing for the music and the good feelings, but I don't think it will leave a lasting impression on most people, which isn't always a bad thing.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 09/13/19 07:21 PM.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, G5422DC-12, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3008058 09/14/19 10:01 PM
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mixed feelings here as well. I remember leaving the theater feeling like every character except the protagonist was a cardboard cut-out present only to advance the plot. His long-suffering manager-slash-love interest, his parents, the Kate McKinnon character, the perpetually stoned sidekick, etc. A wacky alternative fan theory (that I just made up) makes more sense of all this: He was actually killed in the accident and everything we see is his "final season of Lost" near-death experience. Hence all the characters are his idealizations of who those people are in his life. Hence John Lennon living in a small house by the sea as an ordinary guy. (That whole treatment left a bad taste in my mouth.) But, a lot of smiley moments, great music of course. All in all a pleasant but unmemorable confection full of empty calories.

Last edited by Stephen Fortner; 09/14/19 10:02 PM.

"I'm just a confused musician who got sidetracked into this damned word business..." -Hunter S. Thompson

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Senior Editor, Music Player Network
Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine
Content Creator and Behind-the-Scenes Writing Wonk, Damned Near Everyone
Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Stephen Fortner] #3008123 09/15/19 05:16 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Fortner
the Kate McKinnon character...

I thought she stole the show, actually - I saw it as an update of the Bobby Fleckman character in Spinal Tap. Of course it's a caricature...but isn't LA filled with caricatures? smile

As to your "wacky alternative fan theory," I think a plot line that would have required a bit less suspension of disbelief than a world-wide power outage that selectively nukes memory would have been his entering into a parallel universe.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3008257 09/16/19 03:11 PM
techristian Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I liked it !

Dan

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3011157 10/05/19 05:09 PM
skypuppy123 Offline
Originally Posted by Stephen Fortner
the Kate McKinnon character...

As to your "wacky alternative fan theory," I think a plot line that would have required a bit less suspension of disbelief than a world-wide power outage that selectively nukes memory would have been his entering into a parallel universe.

If in the end of the movie , it had shown that he was in an comatose state dreaming this all up, that would've been very cool and would have made the plot very alluring.

The movie "The Sixth Sense" with Bruce Willis comes to mind , not exactly , but it made the whole plot seam so real.

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3011206 10/06/19 05:07 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Good point. That ploy worked very well in "Isn't It Romantic," which may be a Rom-Com but it's hilarious. smile

Re: Anyone Seen "Yesterday"? [Re: Anderton] #3011244 10/06/19 03:37 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
I enjoyed it, for the most part.

By and large, I'm not a big fan of films that repurpose existing music - I didn't care for Across The Universe so much - but the way that this film used the Beatles music was kind of cool. I felt that the actual Rom-Com itself was only average, though.

I also think Kate McKinnon stole the film. She's ridiculously talented.

dB

Moderated by  Anderton