Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mysterious, abandoned places at night

Some of you know that I do night photography. I do numerous kinds of night photography, though, including landscapes with Milky Ways and, really, anything with beautiful or fascinating foregrounds.

But one of the things I love to do is photograph abandoned areas on or near a full moon. It's fascinating to think about what sort of history the place has. Although decaying out in the elements of the desert, I find a certain beauty in this.

48206542716_b1ac5c1fc9_b.jpg

Grange Hall, Mojave Desert

Ken Lee Photography - Flickr

48011109413_18e23eba98_b.jpg

Houses buried in sand, Mojave Desert

46843903975_5f08701326_b.jpg

Dismantled, abandoned airplane, decommissioned WWII airfield, Central California

31056197567_a398639f22_b.jpg

Abandoned airplane, Southwest Desert (now this is the one exception here in that it was not photographed during a full moon, but just the opposite, when the moon was not out at all)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful pics, but nothing like that around here.

There are some abandoned factories and houses but with a great deal of overgrowth and junk... not to mention creepy. :crazy:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Beautiful pics, but nothing like that around here.

There are some abandoned factories and houses but with a great deal of overgrowth and junk... not to mention creepy. :crazy:

Thanks. I thought you might be interested in these, which are from Pennsylvania (summer 2018):

47437057681_7a273e9b56_b.jpg

Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA, an old, sprawling thick-walled prison built with numerous arms extending from a central hub like the spokes of a wheel. And yes, this is a selfie.

47487721231_95732d43c1_b.jpg

Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA, an old, sprawling thick-walled prison built with numerous arms extending from a central hub like the spokes of a wheel.

32597089387_9508c0f0f5_b.jpg

Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA, an old, sprawling thick-walled prison built with numerous arms extending from a central hub like the spokes of a wheel.

It certainly is at night!

The single creepiest place I've photographed at night so far has been Moundsville Penitentiary in West Virginia. The imposing Gothic architecture, fluttering bats, decay, darkness, and history of violence in the place made is supremely creepy.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I'd share another abandoned area, this time from a trip with some friends last week. As with almost all my night photography stuff, I've done a long exposure, illuminating the scene with a handheld light painting device called a ProtoMachines LED2 while the camera's shutter is open.

62.thumb.jpg.bad3d94a33f248a1aa0fc91e674a9abb.jpg

It's so much fun, and is utterly addicting.

It's also very creative, particularly when adding light painting, creating the image by determining what receives light, what remains in shadow, creating detail, and creating mood. It is the most actively creative form of photography that I have encountered, and I absolutely love it.