Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Crazy Encounter

One of my Monday students is a retired teacher who, like many of my adult students, decidedly underreported her piano abilities when she called me for lessons. She most certainly could have made a career of it, and in her retirement seems to be regretting not having done so. So part of my lessons involve traditional teaching, and the other part is usually me finding her chances to play either in public or with others. She's well up in her 70's and such opportunities aren't that easy to come by.

This past Monday she met me at the gate and walked me in as usual. When we got to her elevator, a kind of schlubby older couple was there also waiting for the elevator. They greeted her and talked about old-retired-people stuff of fixing the air conditioning and the like. When the elevator came, they pressed her same floor, and she commented on it. "I guess we should introduce ourselves then," my student said. The couple was Steve and Lani. They asked her, "Are you the piano player?" She was happy about that and said she was. Lani said, "I used to sing a bit and Steve played guitar." That's everyone's story in SoCal, land of the aging hippies, so I said, "Well, you guys should all get together some time." The couple seemed OK with that idea and followed my student into her condo to exchange contact information.

We all get to talking. The couple moved to SoCal from NY, as I did, so we start to chat a bit. It turns out they actually played music professionally in New York. "What kind of stuff did you do?" I ask.

"Well," Steve says, "Lani sang with Stevie Wonder. In fact that's her at the beginning of 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life.'"

"Lani" was Lani Groves. I found it almost confusing to be talking with someone who was so literally part of the soundtrack of my life. "Steve" was Steve Love of Stories. The schlubby "we used to play music too" couple who was trying to get their touchy air conditioning working right, was straight up music royalty.

Crazy little moment. Just thought I'd share.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me to always be sure to treat people with respect. And I continually fail to my shame.

These are two people who would only be recognized for important achievement by musicians of a certain age. Us.

Ten years ago I was playing in a Dixieland band at a regular bar gig. One of our regulars was a kind of creepy guy in his 80s who would make the rounds getting pretty women to dance with him. Shuffling, a little too close.

One night I finally talk to him. Hes got a weird business card about electro-mechanics. WTF? In passing he mentions that he worked for Thiokol in the 50s. Developing the engine for the X1.

This creepy old guy is an effing rocket scientist!

Respect must be paid.

Great story, but I call your bluff on San Diego being the land of aging hippies. I grew up in San Diego and now live in Marin County. San Diego has the perfect weather but lacks the liberal culture hippies need in order to age gently. Around here in Marin you can't swing a hookah pipe without hitting an aging hippy. That is, by the way, a favorite pastime of mine.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Brother, easy on the negative vibes about aging hippies.

All in good fun. There's about 10 of them amongst the three groups I've been playing with. Wonderful musicians . . .

We are going to get to put that comparison to the test: my Elvis Costello group is playing the Marin County Fair and Expo at 3:00 today. Come and say hello if you are around. Careful with the pipe though.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

We are going to get to put that comparison to the test: my Elvis Costello group is playing the Marin County Fair and Expo at 3:00 today. Come and say hello if you are around. Careful with the pipe though.

Oh damn, I'm actually in Buffalo staying with my in-laws. Heading to NYC in a couple days, hoping to hook up with Jim Kost there.

Let me know next time you're in my neck of the woods. I'll leave the metaphorical pipe at home.

You never know..........

I had 12 weeks of physical/ cardio therapy after my procedure last July. About 3 weeks into it I was finishing my session on one of 7 air resistance bikes. There was a grey longhair dude next to me starting at the same time. My therapist came over and asked what my plans were for the weekend. I told him I was playing my first gig since my operation. The grey hair asks Are you a musician? I replied yes, keys and bass. My names Jake K.. Gene Cornish.

Wait........what? The Rascals Gene Cornish? The Rascals I used to see in the Choo Choo Club in Garfield, NJ?

Yup.

It turns out he collapsed on stage in Minnesota last September, and had a pacemaker installed. That explained the therapy. Got his life straightened out and takes great care of himself. Seriously nice guy.

Really, you never know......

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"