Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
360 video of new Noon Fifteen single #2997134 07/03/19 05:29 PM
samuelblupowitz Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Hey gang, my band Noon Fifteen is putting out a new track for each of our three shows this month (we're also trying to play 40+ songs with almost no repeats over the three shows, but that's another story).

The first one technically drops tomorrow, but I figured I'd share it here before I'm off gigging and visiting family over the next few days.

The interactive element that came from shooting the session with the 360 camera is super cool. I'm excited to be able to play with this sort of thing in a music context. The camera was, er, borrowed from the office; my late co-worker (memorialized at the end of the video) bought it to use for work AV projects, and then proceeded to "test it" at music festivals throughout the summer of 2017. I know he'd be happy I put it to good use.

We've also been releasing our new tracks via a podcast, a sort of audio liner notes. The one for this track will come out tomorrow (7/4), but I figured I'd share the link here in the meantime. It'll be on Apple Podcasts and Google Play and all that good stuff too.

For what it's worth, community of music enthusiasts, in addition to playing keys (organ is Nord Electro 4D through a Motion Sound KBR-3D; the clav is a clav), I recorded the session and overdubs, mixed the track (with some last-minute help from someone who is way better at it than me), edited the video, and wrote the music and lyrics. I've been a busy guy. Be kind to me. rockit

Hope you all enjoy! I'll post the second video when it drops on the 12th.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
KC Island
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2997203 07/04/19 03:37 AM
New&Improv Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Nice stuff! Great organ solo at the end, heavy and dramatic, like the rest of the tune.

The 360-degree video is really cool, I know some people locally who are playing with the tech, will have to see if i can get them to bring it by the studio sometime

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2998203 07/11/19 06:49 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Sam! Bitchin' solo. Nice job handling all the production. thu At first I was worried you had let someone else track clav in another room, but of course you saved it for yourself wink

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2998308 07/12/19 02:16 PM
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Super cool! Nice use of drawbars too. thu

Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #2998309 07/12/19 02:26 PM
OP Online Content
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind feedback. We're releasing the second single of the month today:

I didn't write this tune (our bassist did), but I'm especially fond of it. In addition to the Wurli and organ, I got to make the recorded debut of my Seaboard, which I used for a Brian May-inspired synth chorale in the final chorus. Also, that intro is vocals through the Motion Sound horn, which I've been wanting to do ever since I got the thing.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3000214 07/25/19 02:12 PM
OP Online Content
All right folks, here's the third of three releases this month! A little Meters-inspired track I wrote (the timing of Art Neville's passing is coincidental, but I'm glad to pay tribute in whatever small way a suburban white Northeasterner can wink).

In the podcast about the song, I talk about how the lyric is based on "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley," but from the perspective of Sally, who I figure doesn't have any real stake in this dude cheating on his wife. It's also loosely based on some drama in the local music scene, but it's a small town, so that's all I'll say! laugh

As a side note, I did not anticipate how long it would take me to get the Wurlitzer solo right. "It's just a I - IV vamp," I thought. "It'll be easy," I thought. I got there eventually.

Hope you dig!

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3000234 07/25/19 03:42 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Cool track, Sam! That Wurly solo is bang on! Always love how you bring in those extra parts momentarily into the videos. laugh

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: MAJUSCULE] #3000251 07/25/19 04:56 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by MAJUSCULE
Cool track, Sam! That Wurly solo is bang on! Always love how you bring in those extra parts momentarily into the videos. laugh

Thank you! They've been a lot of fun to make (but I am glad to have a little break from working on them until we track the next round of tunes).

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3000346 07/26/19 04:54 AM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Fun, enjoyable track. The amount of effort it takes to write, record, and edit the video tells me you don't have any children yet. smile

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: davedoerfler] #3000393 07/26/19 02:35 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
The amount of effort it takes to write, record, and edit the video tells me you don't have any children yet. smile

And the man wins a cigar!

Our bass player recently said to my wife (the lead vocalist) "I feel like I do more for this band than any band I've ever been in, and it's still not even close to how much Sam is doing."

The difference is that he has an infant and a toddler at home. I, on the other hand, have a day job that gives me access to recording and video equipment.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Re: 360 video of new Noon Fifteen single [Re: samuelblupowitz] #3000763 07/29/19 03:03 AM
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I love these 360 degree videos Samuel!

And you know I'm already a fan of Noon Fifteen's music - no more needs to be said by me in that regard!

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara