Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for rackmount module recs

Keyboard/Synth novice here.

I play guitar, but need to add piano to some live shows. I have a Studiologic SL73 to use as a controller and want to just run a midi cable back to my rack of guitar and audio gear into a rackmount sound module.

I am looking for some U2 New Year's Day tones (which I believe was a Yamaha CP-70) and Coldplay piano-style tones (Chris Martin favors the Kawai MP9000).

It would also be nice to have a unit that I can load sounds into, but that isn't a requirement, more of a desire. And I understand it may be nice to use software sounds on a computer, but for several reasons, that is not possible in this situation.

Can any of you pros give me some recommendations for a 1-space rack unit? Willing to go as high as $1000 for something killer, but would prefer something used for less than $500.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A.C.,

Thanks for responding!

It looks like an amazing unit. But it probably busts my budget of $1000 American, and it appears it will take up TWO rack spaces, as opposed to one. If its my only option, I could try to find a way to make it work, but Im hoping there is something better suited to my situation.

Thanks.

SX7 would be two rack spaces.

Used Motif Rack XS works, the earlier Motif Rack ES would better fit budget.

I understand a computer won't work. What about an iPad or even smaller iPad Mini or iPod Touch, which could velcro almost invisibly to the SL73? (Or potentially to the inside of a rack, though you might want more access to it than that.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Another module, still higher than 1 rack space, but smaller overall than the Dexibell would be the V3 sound module.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You could probably pick up a used Yamaha Motif XS Rack within budget. Or cheaper yet, a Roland Fantom XR rack.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

In terms of buying new, Im having a hard time thinking of a one-space rack unit with a decent piano at your price point. The Motif XS-Rack is very nice, but about $300 over your budget, so you may need to consider buying used. If you can find one, a GEM RP-X is a nice half-rack unit, but I dont think it has a CP-70.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I understand a computer won't work. What about an iPad or even smaller iPad Mini or iPod Touch, which could velcro almost invisibly to the SL73? (Or potentially to the inside of a rack, though you might want more access to it than that.)

Thanks, Scott. I suppose a Touch might be possible.

The purpose of looking for a rack module is I have a rack mount mixer and wireless units, all hard wired in the rack, requiring no plugging or unplugging. My hope is to do the same thing with this sound module. Im sure I could mount a touch in their somehow, but access to the screen could be difficult. And Im already using three iPads to mix IEMs and two MacBooks to run audio and video.

Ill check out the Motifs. Do they have the sounds I was looking for, or the ability to load them?

You could probably pick up a used Yamaha Motif XS Rack within budget. Or cheaper yet, a Roland Fantom XR rack.

J. Dan and Moonglow,

It looks like there are some Motif XS Racks on Reverb in $800-$900 range. Anything I specifically need to be aware of with used units of this type?

Is this the way to go, in your opinion?

J. Dan and Moonglow,

It looks like there are some Motif XS Racks on Reverb in $800-$900 range. Anything I specifically need to be aware of with used units of this type?

Is this the way to go, in your opinion?

are you 100% on getting a rack module ? And spending $800/900

on a rack ?

If your requirements are only a handful of EP sounds, I would go cheaper.

Tech and sound quality has advanced since the XS intro.

I am not criticizing

the XS, just thinking ' bang for the buck ' plus minimal usage.

Given your O/p, it doesn't sound like you need to spend $800/$900

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

on a rack ?

I am not criticizing

Greg, I'm not 100 percent on anything, if there is a better solution. Saving money is always a bonus.

But I have a rack space available in my mixer rack and would like to hardwire the output of whatever I use into the mixer and leave it in the rack, to rarely be touched.

My group is already using multiple Macs and multiple iPads, so there isn't much room for a software based solution.

But I'm interested in hearing all suggestions.

Another option could be Ketron SD1000. Not a rack unit, but very small. It'll fit in a small pocket of your gig bag. Presets can't be selected from the unit directly, but you can use something like a foot pedal or nonoPad2 to select your go-to sounds.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

on a rack ?

I am not criticizing

Greg, I'm not 100 percent on anything, if there is a better solution. Saving money is always a bonus.

But I have a rack space available in my mixer rack and would like to hardwire the output of whatever I use into the mixer and leave it in the rack, to rarely be touched.

My group is already using multiple Macs and multiple iPads, so there isn't much room for a software based solution.

But I'm interested in hearing all suggestions.

I think its good to be open on gear and with your hard earned money.

Typically, I push folks to be clear on their sound requirements. Long term vs short term.

you mentioned 2 songs as examples. That should be easy to get close.

If your requirements

are casual for key sounds, I would stay around $500.

Feel free to clarify your needs

a bit more.

if you are serious about growing your skills on keys over the next few years,

I could see spending more money. If money, or $900 vs $500 is no big deal, sure,

get the XS.

[70's Songwriter]

I think its good to be open on gear and with your hard earned money.

Typically, I push folks to be clear on their sound requirements. Long term vs short term.

you mentioned 2 songs as examples. That should be easy to get close.

If your requirements

are casual for key sounds, I would stay around $500.

Feel free to clarify your needs

a bit more.

if you are serious about growing your skills on keys over the next few years,

I could see spending more money. If money, or $900 vs $500 is no big deal, sure,

get the XS.

Much appreciated, Greg.

I'll be using this equipment in a tribute band that generally plays small amphitheater shows with anywhere from 500-4000 people. So I'd like the sounds themselves to be fairly accurate. As far as expansion goes, there is always a possibility that I will need a few other sounds, but I don't expect expansion to be a direct need. As I mentioned in the original post, it would be nice to be able to load purchased sounds, but not necessary.

I am struck by the lack of options in this arena. I suppose most folks have gone the software route, which I completely understand. It just doesn't seem to work well for my situation. The last thing we need is another computer on stage. But I'm amazed that places like Sweetwater and Amazon are selling the Motif Rack XS as a new unit, when the Yamaha site says it is discontinued, and the unit was originally released over a decade ago.

I guess rackmount sound modules just aren't a thing anymore, huh? For me, it makes perfect sense, because I run my wireless mic (Countryman/Sennheiser) and guitar rig (Fractal Audio) directly into my rack. All I do is pop open the rack, plug in, and I'm good to go. So that is my hope with whatever unit I purchase. Plug the keyboard into the module in the rack, and be off and running.

If I can find something used that has the sounds I want at a good price point, that will make my day. What do you recommend, with these sounds, in the $500 price range you mentioned above?

If you can find one .... The GEM RP-X. It's a half rack unit. Main issue is getting parts if it fails. But shouldn't cost much. In the half empty space maybe get a Yamaha P-50m. It's old. The sounds are dated but VERY usable in a rock band. After all these years I really think I would gig with one with no problems.

Also the Kurzweil Micro Piano series doesn't suck.

The Yamaha and Kurz should be $100 or less.

PS the P-50m does CP-70 out the wazoo. And it should be cheap.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

+1 on the Yamaha Motif module, if you have the budget. In your position, I think I would go for a keyboard with sound-generation capabilities. Could you sell the Studiologic and get a Korg SV1/73? Would you accept an 88-note range over your current 73.

If you're primarily a guitar player/"casual piano" player (nice phrase Greg) then Yamaha P50 or similar, as Ed suggested. Save your money.

Cheers, Mike

Well, this is a lot to think about and some great options/suggestions. I have to admit to being a little nervous using 20-plus year-old tech, such as the half-rack modules mentioned. I'm know enough to know what I don't know, and trying to repair sound modules isn't part of my bag of tricks. But I will look into it.

You all have been very generous with your time. If you have any other suggestions, I'm happy to listen. Thanks to everyone who chimed in,

Well, this is a lot to think about and some great options/suggestions. I have to admit to being a little nervous using 20-plus year-old tech, such as the half-rack modules mentioned. I'm know enough to know what I don't know, and trying to repair sound modules isn't part of my bag of tricks. But I will look into it.

You all have been very generous with your time. If you have any other suggestions, I'm happy to listen. Thanks to everyone who chimed in,

You are a good study- the keyboard mfgr's have not emphasized rack modules for some time. Its a business thing, keyboardists almost always demand a smaller form factor, but mfgr's claim the rack modules do not sell in. ' big #'s '. Or something like that.

I really don't know your band and how often your piano part will jump forward in the mix. If you are covering a dozen or less songs with basic piano sounds , its really your call what works for you.

Its been said the audience is not going to 'hear' if you have a $1000 rack or a $500 rack.

These keyboard sounds are becoming iconic. " Old " gear, from 10 years ago, is perfectly valid in your cover band.

I personally like the Roland XR Fantom Rack. But Roland has its own sound signature. You might not like how Roland does acoustic pianos.

Or it might be perfectly fine for you .

The ES Motif rack is another classic. Same process- you might like it or not be impressed.

You didn't mention your midi skills, the better you are with that, the better your use of rack gear.

If I were you , demo the above racks . YouTube quality is not very good IMO. Try to dig up Mp3's or stuff

on Sound Cloud.

As a practical matter, if you get the XR rack, for example, and you dislike it in less than 30 days, make

sure you have a return option.

From what I gather from your requirements, I would go budget for your purchase, then work your way up.

[70's Songwriter]

Ive had great success with my Waldorf Blofeld.

Bought samples from a developer to enhance is 1000+ sounds.

Outstanding sound quality, whatever sounds you want for it theyre available.

375 Used with sampling option.

Fits perfectly in an Amazon Basics 13 dollar laptop case.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

True that! But

Jerry Coakleys 16 MB Piano sounds good unless you need really long sustains for love songs.

Its the old Ensoniq AP.

Works well in lower and mid ranges but on higher octaves you gotsta be tickling and trilling to maintain authenticity.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

If you're not 100% on getting a rack module, consider getting a Casio PX-1000S ($600) and scrapping the Studiologic controller. Or, if you need greater sound variety, the PX-3000s ($800).

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

How about a jv1010 with a keyboards of the 60s&70s Card installed? ? Half width one rack space. There about a 1300 patches in that configuration, and a lot of them are useful. Plus youll save about $500.

I also thought of that, possibly the XV's, like the 3080.

This era of the Roland racks has that compressed acoustic piano sound.

Might not be the best presentation of the more contemporary piano based songs

that Ace27 will be performing.

Might be worth a try, given the low cost, bang for the buck rack.

[70's Songwriter]

They also arent going to be able to tell (With their ears) if you are using a Moog Voyager or a $30 plugin. For years I played a kurzweil sp76 and a Alesis Fusion 6. Sounded great in a classic rock setting. But visually it was only ok. But it was easy to move and bullet proof indoors and out. Then as the requirements became more progressive rock and more organ parts, and generally bigger gigs, I switched a couple of years ago to a Kronos 88 and a Hammond SK2. About 6x the price, 3x the weight, and 2x the hassle. But the visual reaction is much different. The point is, a lot of people hear with their eyes. If you go see Elton John what you see is a 9 foot custom Yamaha Concert Grand, probably 100k. What you hear is a Roland MKS20 and a motif rack.

I've been using my Roland Fantom XR for some time now in my Genesis tribute with the Ultimate Keys SRX 07 board and there is a very nice CP70 in there.

The card has all the vintage instruments from Key of the 60'/70s and Vintage Synth cards.

I use lots of the RMI piano sounds and the Mellotrons. The organs are good too.

Theres also a piano demo on here: https://www.roland.com/uk/products/fantom-xr/

I bought mine new at £1000 and they are selling at £200+, great synth.

There is nothing budget about it, it sounds excellent abd very versatile.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-Fantom-XR-Rack-module-with-Gator-hard-case/133096451321?hash=item1efd2aacf9:g:VFsAAOSwPlhdFKFF

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Another module, still higher than 1 rack space, but smaller overall than the Dexibell would be the V3 sound module.

I just listened to some of the companys demos on YouTube and it sounds impressive. 256 note polyphony and 16 channel multitimbral, and fits in your pocket.

Has anyone heard one of these in real life?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin