Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Um, where's the Leslie Speaker?"

New poster here; apologies if this story was posted years ago...

I found this interesting anecdote online about a keyboard player's on-stage search for Matthew Fisher's (Procol Harum) Leslie speaker way back in 1968...

[Click here] for the link.

Pretty neat idea to mike it that way! Never thought to do that with mine back in the day...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was fairly common practice. In fact I know of one situation where there was a 122 on stage for the visual aspect with the volume turned down, and another one stuck in a closet all miked up for FOH.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

"...there was a 122 on stage for the visual aspect with the volume turned down, and another one stuck in a closet all miked up..."

Now that's cool. Oh, to have that many Leslies!

Actually, we used to think about "putting Leslie in her own room" -- but having ready access to that room or having a long enough Leslie cable were limiting factors.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

In my old house I had a 30 cable so I could roll a 122 into the bathroom to record it. All that tile just added to the reflections. Since Ive downsized houses Id be hard pressed to get the BT-122 Bluetooth version in my half bath..

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I was in a band that played a concert in a high school auditorium. There was a dressing room just of off-stage and behind me. I thought, "Great, I'll stick my Leslie in there and mic it up." Mid-way through the show, we got to a song that the bass player sang and the front man headed to the dressing room. Did a couple verses banging on my Univox piano and headed towards an organ solo. A quick palm smear and grabbing a screeching high note - then, a scream and crashing noises come through my Leslie mics, but no more organ.

Mr. Lead Singer was preening himself in the mirror right behind my Leslie and when I started my solo, it scared the sh*t out of him and he fell into the mic stands.

I still get a laugh out of it - and it was prolly 45 years ago.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Can a Leslie be placed into a soundproofed box that has sufficient attenuation to be able to play loud in the house thus achieving a higher driven sound? Id like to be able to mic my 145, have it in a foam box or something that really attenuates the sound. I never have my my amp above 2 at home

Chuck has a Leslie placed in a enclosure with the mics already in it below the stage with the Stones. Charlie Giordano has a Leslie under the stage with the E-Street band. Bleed from other instruments is tough on a mic'd Leslie.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Slight tangent: I've always thought a "recording-ready" or "PA-ready" rotary speaker, low-power, small drivers, pre-mic'ed up would be a nice product. Line in, stereo mics out. Kind of a physical/mechanical rotary sim!

Cheers, Mike.

Slight tangent: I've always thought a "recording-ready" or "PA-ready" rotary speaker, low-power, small drivers, pre-mic'ed up would be a nice product. Line in, stereo mics out. Kind of a physical/mechanical rotary sim!

Cheers, Mike.

I once purchased a couple of mic diaphragms that were used in Motion Sound stuff for my Leslie 142. Placed inside. There was too much mechanical noise for my taste. Went back to micing from outside.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Cheers, Mike.

Someone mentioned Motion Sound and they did this a few times on a few of their rotary products. The R3-147 may have been the most "pro" in terms of being rack mounted, but it only had a real upper rotor and simulated lower (similar to the Pro-3T). I believe one of the full box versions also had the mics built into it.

Getting back to Leslies in other rooms, I did a recording session back in the '90s where we had the Leslie down the hall in a bathroom and the engineer did some really cool stuff. Close mics on top and bottom, an ambient mic in the bathroom, and a mic out in the hallway. It was really cool listening to the Hammond tracks and isolating each channel to hear the different sound textures. This made for a very full sound on the recording.

Speaking of visual aspects; some time ago I made a test setup for comparing built-in clonewheel leslie simulator and a real 147 so that I was able to swap between PA and Leslie. The same half-moon speed switch controlled both simulator and real one. Just soundwise it was clear that in such kind of A-B comparison test the real leslie was a winner, but when switched to simulator it was somewhat confusing to actually see horn still spinning even though sound came from PA. So a digital simulation also sounded better when it looked real... :D

In the 1970s I played a Wurly in a country band. Organ parts were covered by the guitarist who had a Guitorgan, which he played through a Rotronic speaker.

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/Guitorgan.jpg

The Rotronic was 14" square by 24" tall, and could be conveniently lifted with one hand. I believe we mic'd it, but it's been too long for me to remember reliably. These pictures are from the web. OT: the discerning eye will note a few molecules of a Farfisa VIP organ to the left of the Rotronic in the first picture.

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/Rotronic1.jpg

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 3 weeks later...

A sound deadened box to put a leslie in sounds like a cool idea, however you lose the doppler chorus effect we all love because of the same reason lightbg likes to record his in a bathroom. Bouncing that moving sound around a reflective room just makes them sound that much better. In my studio mine are Iso'd in a reflective room, yea, you hear some of the "room", but it sounds way better than a totally dead room.

Speaking of leslies just for looks, we played a festival, and I was using an old tube leslie (50c) hooked up to a CX3. Well, it was thunderstorming, and the place's policy was if there was any thunder all power had to be off. We had to be ready for a quick soundcheck and hit the ground running as soon as the storm stopped. So I set up, had everything ready to go but couldn't power up. I knew the sound guy good (always stay on their good side), and I was first to get soundchecked. No sound from the leslie. I told him I'm gonna plug a direct box with the vent into the high mic, trust me it'll be fine. He did everyone else, then came back to me. Vent worked fine. I played the whole slot, but forgot to turn off the leslie in the rush, so it was spinning on fast (turned out a wire broke, old solder joint) the whole time. After us was a 70's band, old tube amps, real old school guys. When we packed up they all thanked me for using a real leslie because (you don't see them much anymore, and they really sound better. I didn't have the heart to tell them they heard the vent all night!

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110