Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthesizers have gotten smaller

So, today I took a drive too Catonsville Maryland in Baltimore County, which is an hours drive from my hometown of Frederick Maryland. Only bought a tee shirt, its a bit small, need a 2XL one. Anyway, thats not why I went down there.

I was taking a look around their Keyboard department too see what they had. I noticed how small synths and Keyboards have become. Especially the Behringer Deepmind 6 and 12, and the KORG Minilouge Monologue and Prolouge. Although, the Monologue looks odd with full size keys, but maybe thats what KORG was going for? Even Pianos and Music workstations have shrunk in size.

The other thing that surprised me was a couple of used synths. Particularly an old Roland VP-330. Rather cool too see, but cant justify its $3,000.00 price tag for a 40 year old synth? I noticed and old Ensoniq Mirage not a DSK, the first Generation, which is pretty sizable, and pretty cheap I might add. Lastly, was a rather used and maybe abused KORG Wavestation. Which was missing a Pitch Bend Wheel. Which I thought they would want too fix, before putting it out for sale. Also, I thought the wavestation was bigger?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that surprised me was a couple of used synths. Particularly an old Roland VP-330. Rather cool too see, but cant justify its $3,000.00 price tag for a 40 year old synth?

That's cheap compared with eBay prices.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I've been listening to demos of the KORG Minilouge XD. A new, redesigned version of the original. 3 octave KB, 2 analog Ocs and one digital Osc. Nice filter. Sequencer. It was introduced at $619 with Sweetwater taking Pre-orders. Apparently they sold out of their initial shipment and since then the price went up to $649.

This compact synth will fill several market niches. Its a good investment for a bedroom studio musician, as well as an additional KB for a professional player that has limited space in a KB rig, but wants another board close by for fills and leads, and even sound effects. I do believe that Korg has a winner on their hands. Check out the sounds on youtube.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.