Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dr John

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh isn't just another Keyboard Corner Wisecracker (though he is definitely that), he's one of the leading torchbearers of the New Orleans piano tradition of which Dr. John was perhaps the most famously known figure. A fitting tribute to the Dr would be to support the music of cats like Josh and Joe Krown who (I imagine) keep the tradition alive more for the love of it than for the fame and riches it entails.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I had the pleasure of hearing and seeing Josh Paxton play a solo show and with Big Chief Monk Boudreaux when I visited NOLA this past March. I have his CD. There is no more appropriate person to write a tribute to Mac than Josh. Wonderful writing. It brought tears to my eyes.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have those Mac instructional videos on DVDs. I always meant to get around to trying to learn what he was doing, but they're more about absorbing his playing.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.